GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Indium Gray Metallic Money Pit Mk7.5R

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Sweet score on the rear diff! Should drive like a completely different car on track in the spring.

How’s the tune coming along?
No one wants to touch it as-is unless I take it out of state and drop it off for a month. Started picking up the parts I'd need to go back to the IS38.
I have an AccessPort I picked up pre-greenspeed, found it has a bunch of stage 2 tunes but they've all got burbles enabled :ROFLMAO:

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
not adjustable currently, another wtf. but it'll get vorshlag plates and a real alignment in the spring.
To touch back on the alignment, I just put some Megan racing ones on last night and they are listed the same at “ +/- 3 “ with it fully shorted and the top essentric bolt maxed just using my little bubble gauge it was in the -7 rang 😂. (your spc washer would make the essentric central) but when I centered it it was still at -5 range.

I think before your real alignment you may want to get adjustable toe arms too so they don’t have to fight the toe and be limited to only the lower essentric bolt to fix the toe.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
To touch back on the alignment, I just put some Megan racing ones on last night and they are listed the same at “ +/- 3 “ with it fully shorted and the top essentric bolt maxed just using my little bubble gauge it was in the -7 rang 😂. (your spc washer would make the essentric central) but when I centered it it was still at -5 range.

I think before your real alignment you may want to get adjustable toe arms too so they don’t have to fight the toe and be limited to only the lower essentric bolt to fix the toe.

I've got adjustable toe arms, I tried explaining that to the alignment tech but it wasn't going anywhere. Looking under the car I think he left the adjustable arms untouched and only used the lower eccentric bolt.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I've got adjustable toe arms, I tried explaining that to the alignment tech but it wasn't going anywhere. Looking under the car I think he left the adjustable arms untouched and only used the lower eccentric bolt.
Crazy to think, he’s the alignment tech and claims to have a mk5 (uses dimensionally the same upper arms, toe arms and lca’s) 😂🤦🏻‍♂️.

To me Having both the arms independently adjustable should be much easier to select the exact specs since it’s not the same balancing game with the upper and lower. Guess that’s why it’s free lol

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Crazy to think, he’s the alignment tech and claims to have a mk5 (uses dimensionally the same upper arms, toe arms and lca’s) 😂🤦🏻‍♂️.

To me Having both the arms independently adjustable should be much easier to select the exact specs since it’s not the same balancing game with the upper and lower. Guess that’s why it’s free lol
Right? To be fair there's a couple local belle techs who are really good, so I'll use another free alignment to visit one of them when I get more time. Stock toe with at least -2deg isn't much to ask for on a fully adjustable setup.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Flashed over the UM ECU tune with a cobb base map. Don't know what I'll end up using but now it's at least safe to drive. Had a shop weld in a GESI cat into the mid-section of the trackslag and add an o2 bung with a 40" extension. Put the valved/muffled AWE pipes in as well so I can get logs at night without being too much of a dick.

Unfortunately it's started snowing regularly so only a matter of time til the salt hits.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Flashed over the UM ECU tune with a cobb base map. Don't know what I'll end up using but now it's at least safe to drive. Had a shop weld in a GESI cat into the mid-section of the trackslag and add an o2 bung with a 40" extension. Put the valved/muffled AWE pipes in as well so I can get logs at night without being too much of a dick.

Unfortunately it's started snowing regularly so only a matter of time til the salt hits.
Did They put it after the subframe mount bracket or did they modify it?

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
After the bracket, just like trackslag does if you buy it with a cat. FWIW the 40" USP extension was the perfect length for this.
I picked up a used Apr one a while ago, I don’t know the length but assuming it will fit since their placement is behind the bracket also.

When we added a cat to my old eBay pipe we ended up cutting and modifying the hangers all crazy like since that’s where we located the cat since I was trying to get it forward some.

C30D63E1-D3B6-4612-988E-FE0045E9AFFD.jpeg
FB0E96A5-39B5-46AA-971B-8B0670FAD1A1.jpeg

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
I made it! Read all 12 pages. What a saga. 😢🤧

I’ll ask you the same questions I ask anyone, with any platform, who’s experienced this much time, expense and heartache:

1) If you were starting from scratch, on a Mk7/7.5 Golf R, what upgrades would you definitely do, knowing what you’ve learned from this ordeal?

2) What upgrades/decisions would you definitely not do/not recommend to folks?

3) Is there anything noteworthy you wish you’d done different on this particular build?

Bonus: And as an aside, have other folks had the same issues with UM that you’ve experienced?

Log/tune concerns, difficulty reaching them for help, etc.

As someone who completed a lengthy 10-yr build on a street legal track car, I applaud you for not losing hope and just dumping the car, as most would have done. 🍺✌🎖

Last thing:

We’re gonna need some more pics of your adorable Aussie in this thread!

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
“Dad, you never have time for me any more…”

Attachments

• 101D852F-491F-4155-8CD5-A0CEAD2F3591.jpeg
    101D852F-491F-4155-8CD5-A0CEAD2F3591.jpeg
    294.1 KB · Views: 61

scrllock

Autocross Champion
1) If you were starting from scratch, on a Mk7/7.5 Golf R, what upgrades would you definitely do, knowing what you’ve learned from this ordeal?
2) What upgrades/decisions would you definitely not do/not recommend to folks?
3) Is there anything noteworthy you wish you’d done different on this particular build?

so, turbos/fueling:
I was told to be wary of the IS38, so I went through a bunch of turbos, only to have it rebuilt with a ball bearing CHRA and fresh turbine shaft (took it off at about 15k, was tuned for 5-7k--totally scored up and out of balance). Should be more reliable and also easy to tune. 400-500 whp is cool but "racing" stock V8s is only fun for so long and there's a pretty firm ceiling on straight-line performance for these motors due to the head.
I wouldn't bother with a huge aftermarket LPFP, it was full of headaches, but at least I recouped most of the cost on resale. RS3 pump works great, uses almost all OEM parts. That said I'm looking at a surge tank solution for next year so I can run <1/2 tank without worrying.
I wouldn't bother with an HPFP, mine crapped out quickly and MPI works great. My intake valves are immaculate.

OE ignition parts work great. I've tried nearly all of the options (besides brisk and the new APR plugs) and OE coils with RS3 plugs have had the least issues for me.

Continental injectors suck, I'd be on my third set by now if I didn't find out the Bosch R injectors are drop-in. Not sure why this isn't advertised more (except that 19 Rs aren't nearly as common).

Would ditch stock PCV asap, APR plate works well. I'd still like to figure out a good AOS setup (drain to pain), but I get so little blowby in the summer on this setup it hasn't been a concern. Lots of water right now (30-40F).

I've been fairly happy with my selections brake/suspension-wise. only big mistake was the 034 rear camber arms. whoever thought disconnecting them to adjust them was a good idea should be forced to do alignments for their customers.
The pro-kit + DSC controller is a great combo for street-driving, I'd definitely recommend it (got both for sale *cough*).
That said for a street-driven car, I'd stick with the simple stuff. Rear sway bar, drivetrain mounts. Slight lowering.
The big girodiscs are a bit of a vanity item, but I'd rather not deal with RB again for various reasons unrelated to their performance.
The rear position bushing in the front LCA seems to get beat up super quickly. I suspect I'll have gone through all the rubber/poly options by next summer. Might have to stuck it up and go with spherical bearings.
I would just buy a set of new Ohlins. Dealing with random missing pieces on my rebuilt used kit was a giant headache. Finally found a local guy who let me borrow his spanner.

Bonus: And as an aside, have other folks had the same issues with UM that you’ve experienced?

Log/tune concerns, difficulty reaching them for help, etc.

Finally, tuning... I think Ed @ EQ.T does good work. His minions weren't as reliable, but their volume is obviously too much for one guy. I was happy with their stage 2 tune, I will probably run it again while I figure out mpi/flex on the new setup. I wouldn't recommend them for a custom tune unless it's scheduled for a single day. I have some serious issues with the way he runs his business (asking his customers to dox other customers over alleged payment issues is an extremely bad look).

As for UM, I've removed their ECU tune from my car. I do not plan on going back. The lack of logging solution is a big problem for more complicated builds. I was told they've never seen a thrown rod, but I'm sure my 400whp car was not the first. Keep in mind they have set and held a lot of records on these cars. You don't do that without pushing the safeties. I don't think anyone should recommend them unless you're trying to push 1/4 mile or 60-130 times. And that's a lot of money for a silly number, in my book. Running lean, numbed misfire/knock detection, etc. are all tricks to push those numbers but not something I want.

My plan is to get tuned on "open source" come spring. Cobb is fine for now but can't log misfires. Ecutek, well, they can't convince many (any?) of their dealers to tune MQB cars on it. And they refuse to advertise flex-fuel even though it's capable via custom maps now.

As someone who completed a lengthy 10-yr build on a street legal track car, I applaud you for not losing hope and just dumping the car, as most would have done. 🍺✌🎖
Trust me, I've had many moments where I nearly started putting it back to stock thinking about trading it for something. I should have it "done" nearly 3 years after purchase, which means finally making the hard-to-reverse changes (opening the trans for an LSD, drilling holes for backing plates for a roll bar). Could have finished a year earlier if I didn't screw around with power mods.

Last thing:

We’re gonna need some more pics of your adorable Aussie in this thread!

1669317552495.png1669317564283.png

My other dog at the last Grattan day of the year. Ignore the kirkland oil, that's what my friend uses in his turbo k24 miata.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
and as for the IS38:

1669317856869.png
1669317862827.png

Hopefully this is about as reliable as they get. To get my XL sold I left the accessories on it so this has a new OE DV and bench-calibrated Mahle actuator. German-sourced ball bearing and shaft.
Coated at Rad Coatings and rebuilt by Nick @ Turbo Concepts, both here in Michigan. I would definitely recommend Nick for turbo work, he's semi-retired and has been designing turbos since before I could walk.
If I decide to punish myself with another larger turbo, I'd definitely like to try his off the shelf unit:

https://turboconcepts.net/product/mqb-performance-turbo-vw-ea888-1-8t-2-0-t/

If I could convince him to do a motor build for me I would, he's definitely got an eye for reliability.

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
and as for the IS38:

View attachment 266376
View attachment 266377

Hopefully this is about as reliable as they get. To get my XL sold I left the accessories on it so this has a new OE DV and bench-calibrated Mahle actuator. German-sourced ball bearing and shaft.
Coated at Rad Coatings and rebuilt by Nick @ Turbo Concepts, both here in Michigan. I would definitely recommend Nick for turbo work, he's semi-retired and has been designing turbos since before I could walk.
If I decide to punish myself with another larger turbo, I'd definitely like to try his off the shelf unit:

https://turboconcepts.net/product/mqb-performance-turbo-vw-ea888-1-8t-2-0-t/

If I could convince him to do a motor build for me I would, he's definitely got an eye for reliability.
Thank you for putting all this together, and for addressing all my questions.

I can’t find anyone running the Turbo Concepts turbo, thought the list of hardware and improvements on it sounds excellent.

Have you seen any members on here run that turbo who can chime in/contribute?

There are Vortex, APR, DBV2 and Littco turbo threads for months, but far fewer on the less common/popular turbos like Turbo Concepts.

The California oracle basically shrugged its shoulders at various searches like “Turbo Concepts Mk7 dyno” and other variations of that search.

We won’t even touch on the TPC units… 😏

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Thank you for putting all this together, and for addressing all my questions.

I can’t find anyone running the Turbo Concepts turbo, thought the list of hardware and improvements on it sounds excellent.

Have you seen any members on here run that turbo who can chime in/contribute?

There are Vortex, APR, DBV2 and Littco turbo threads for months, but far fewer on the less common/popular turbos like Turbo Concepts.

The California oracle basically shrugged its shoulders at various searches like “Turbo Concepts Mk7 dyno” and other variations of that search.

We won’t even touch on the TPC units… 😏
I don't know of anyone else running it. I think there's more info out there if you look for his other designs (k04 for example).

From what I can tell most of his work is designing turbos for aftermarket vendors to slap their brand on. Including ones you've likely heard of or can easily find info on, but not my place to share details unfortunately. As for the unit I bought, as long as it performs identically to any other IS38 I'll be happy.