GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Indium Gray Metallic Money Pit Mk7.5R

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Forgot to grab a pic, but the iABED oil pan is super nice. Hopefully the last time I see the inside of it.
It's posts like these that curse me.

the pan from the new motor got damaged when they took it off (who cares, $40 steel pan i was gonna throw away anyway). last friday I ordered a steel pan kit, hardware, and a fel-pro gasket. new baffle and seals too.

FCP already delivered but Urotuning fucked me, they sent out the bolts via USPS so they could say the order was "fulfilled" but the fedex tracking for the pan itself is still "shipping label created." typical drop-shipper fuckery. can't cancel the order now, if I'd ordered everything from FCP I'd be done already.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
It's posts like these that curse me.

the pan from the new motor got damaged when they took it off (who cares, $40 steel pan i was gonna throw away anyway). last friday I ordered a steel pan kit, hardware, and a fel-pro gasket. new baffle and seals too.

FCP already delivered but Urotuning fucked me, they sent out the bolts via USPS so they could say the order was "fulfilled" but the fedex tracking for the pan itself is still "shipping label created." typical drop-shipper fuckery. can't cancel the order now, if I'd ordered everything from FCP I'd be done already.
Also, I saw that the urotuning product page has 4 BIG RED NOTES saying it has a m18x1.5 drain plug.

https://www.urotuning.com/products/...t-2-0t-06j103600af-mqb?variant=12529439572023

I know that VW uses m14x1.5 drain plugs, so I'm skeptical. I order both m14 and m18 magnetic drain plugs. Pan shows up, what do you know, it's definitely NOT an m18 plug! I'm adding Urotuning to my list of has-been vendors like USP and ECS.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Took my first enjoyable cruise tonight! Feels good after 9 months of fixing shit.

Ended up leaving the iAbed pan on, turns out my oil level sensor had been hit by some debris.

I don't have a final diagnosis on the failed ball bearing IS38, but some of the issues I've had point to excess crankcase pressure. I've been led to believe the design of the APR plate (and maybe most others on the market) is flawed.

I put a new BL PCV on along with some APR plugs (which came gapped at 0.020" FWIW). Idles great now.

Also, this stuff showed up, which is basically unobtanium at this point:

1679544456231.png

Next bevel box/rear diff service that'll go in.

Finally, I had Steven @ 8bit performance re-tune the car on 93 today. Super professional dude, had the pump gas stuff done in less than 24 hours. This is 1000x better than the other tuners I've used. He'll do flex fuel too, I can't imagine anyone going to UM for that now.
I'd get a log, send it to him, and have a revision by the time I got back home from my spot. After driving an XL on e85, an is38 on 93 isn't blowing my hair back, but I have a lot more faith that these pistons will stay inside the motor.
I'll still mess with switchpatch myself later (asking a pro to screw with the traction control maps seems like an enormous hassle), but now I have confidence that the mechanicals are in good shape (and fuel trims that aren't insane, for the first time since this motor went in).

scrllock

Autocross Champion
And I think we're wrapped up with the ethanol tune as well. Can't recommend Steven enough.
Launches are ridiculous now that traction control can be 100% disabled. Haven't really beaten on the new motor, so today was easily the most fun the car's been in 9 months.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
1681070208766.png

Drained the Castrol and threw in 8 quarts of M1 0w40 for the trip down to Wookies this week. Got the PS4S back on, the RSE11R (18x9+45) clear the Ohlins and Brembos fine. Didn't bother with the rear spacers, the Ohlins shocks seem to have a bit more clearance.

I think I need to figure out a better crush washer for the iAbed pan, it has some m14 nylon washer, looked pretty close to what the pan came with, but it kinda squeezed it to one side of the plug, looked sketchy. Torquing them to 22 ft-lbs, normal VW aluminum oil pan torque spec.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
1681567913703.png

First year down at Wookies. Pictures and videos don't do this place justice. Unfortunately one of my whiteline balljoints slipped and ruined the fun, but nothing serious, just needed an alignment.
Driving around with a GTD-converted TDI, an IMS650 R, and a complete madman with a gtx2867 GTI was such a blast. Felt bad for the big turbo guys, especially the one who threw his blue R into a tree. Hope everyone makes it home safe, the risks are super real.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Ignore the front, I'm gonna rip these whiteline balljoints out soon. Suspect someone pushed one side back in.
Finally found a shop with a tech who understood what adjustable rod ends and jam nuts are though. Don't think this thing has had more than -1 camber in the rear since October.

Attachments

• IMG_20230424_150745.jpg
    IMG_20230424_150745.jpg
    627.6 KB · Views: 47

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Got the front half of the brakes refreshed. Waiting on VBT to confirm torque specs for their adapters. XP10s even in STI fitment (15mm thick) did not want to squeeze in with the 32mm rotors. Plenty of life on these 340x30mm discs.

1683686435384.png

1683686417098.png

Not sure what's going on here, looks like the rear LCA bushing might be torn up again. Looking at putting some RS3 bushings into my old arms with a front offset bushing, poly does not last in that location.

1683686443854.png

Assembled my eurosport mounts thanks to @GoatAutomotive . Plan is to ditch the whiteline balljoints for stock and get back to -2.8 or so with these.

Booked a track day at Gingerman on Sunday, been almost a year since our last full day there. Super excited!

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
Thank you, friend! So glad I could help.

My EuroSport mounts were a BEHAR to install (not a typo), and I had to go back in and play with them a SECOND time when I decided to upgrade my struts later on. 🤦‍♂️ 🙄

That is no fault of the strut mounts. It was my weak sauce budget, and my indecision whether or not to upgrade the dampers now, or save for coil overs.

Please report back after Gingerman. I always enjoy reading peoples’ write ups on track days and mod journeys.
🙌 📚 📖

scrllock

Autocross Champion
1684158681303.png

Buddy and I decided to tent camp (long-ass drive, hotel prices). Due to church hours, only had one session in the morning, then a break for 2.5 hours. It's essentially a new car since last time. New suspension, brakes, engine, diffs, turbo, tune.

Fiddled with knobs and pressure, 35psi front, 34 psi rear felt good. Fronts at 10 clicks, rears at 8. Closer to 7 would probably be good, but this did a good job at reducing brake dive and letting me oversteer T2. I'll do a more thorough inspection later this week, but the VBT steel adapters held up. I'm not sure about the feel on the RB rotors, I might buy some cheap centric high carbon discs just to test (RB specifically says not to use Ferodo/Carbotech).

I was worried about the stock PCV, I've had a couple people tell me they see some smoke on throttle. I lost about half a quart of M1 5w40 over the whole day. Peaked at maybe 240F in the pan.
At one point I got black-flagged, I was worried that I'd smoke-screened someone at T11, turns out a corner worker thought I was taking a selfie with my phone outside the window. Nope, just giving a Corvette a point by. Wtf. Thinking about putting a can on the BL plate to see if it helps at all, but if the XP10s and v730s aren't throwing a smoke screen I think that's a great sign (at least with this 25-26psi stock turbo setup).

As for the diffs, man, felt great to really let them do work. Plus Switchleg's patch to fully disable ASR, game-changer. Steven's tune did great, of course.

Hope to have some more camber and a can before the next track day. Better fueling setup too, keeping it over 1/2 tank all day is lame. But definitely great to have it back out and lapping.

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
Glad to hear you had a successful first outing with the new setup! How much camber were you at this time around?