GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Indium Gray Metallic Money Pit Mk7.5R

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
At the shop for the monthly visit. :rolleyes: Driver-side output shaft seal is leaking. I'll be real annoyed if the gearbox has to come out again given that was supposed to be replaced when they did the diff. Dunno what's up with the turbo yet.

In the meantime, shopping for brake pads. DS2500 definitely aren't cutting it anymore. Comparing some options, DS1.11 is pricey but I can keep the 2500s for street use, and I know I like those quite a bit. I'd prefer to have a set of compatible street/autox pads to keep the girodiscs going longer, so that's a price consideration as well.

DS1.11 F/R: $583 (with GBP exchange rates anyway)
Endless ME20 F/R: $705 (+$675 for MX72 F/R)
Gloc R12 + R10: $478 (+$414 for R6 F/R)
iSweep IS3500: $515 (+$425 for is2500 f/r)
Porterfield R4: $510 (+$320 for R4-S)

Endless just isn't economical and there's limited info on the higher-end isweep pads. The cookie cutter R12/R10 combo makes a lot of sense given the long-term costs of replacing the fronts, especially with domestic vendors. Ferodo is stocked stateside but for much higher prices (almost $700 for FRP3067W).
DS1.11 are definitely a step up but to add to @DerHase 's comment, I think 3.12 are really the right choice when you start to get good at tracking :) Unless you have a massive BBK and 18mm+ thick pads the extra friction and heat capacity of the 3.12 will be the right choice longterm.

EDIT: After looking at the track pad thread in the other forum holy cow, glad I didn't do 3.12F/2500R.

Last edited:

scrllock

Autocross Champion
I will say I’ve now got 7 hard days on track with my 3.12 fronts and they’re still useable for a bit longer. I’ll be disassembling for full inspection this weekend to assess wear rates.

For reference I’d get like 5-6 days max from G Loc R12s on the front of my 97whp Mazda2.

DS1.11 are definitely a step up but to add to @DerHase 's comment, I think 3.12 are really the right choice when you start to get good at tracking :) Unless you have a massive BBK and 18mm+ thick pads the extra friction and heat capacity of the 3.12 will be the right choice longterm.

EDIT: After looking at the track pad thread in the other forum holy cow, glad I didn't do 3.12F/2500R.
3.12 certainly looks nice, though perhaps a bit aggressive, especially with the forward bias/divey-ness of the TTRS brakes. No 3.12 for rear EPB calipers either. There seem to be a lot of porsche guys running 3.12/1.11, but those are primarily mid-engine RWD cars.

I expect to get a bit more life with the bigger TTRS setup, though since the rotor is thicker, I had to use thinner pads. Unless Ferodo lasts 3x longer than G-loc, I'm not sure I'm convinced.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
3.12 certainly looks nice, though perhaps a bit aggressive, especially with the forward bias/divey-ness of the TTRS brakes. No 3.12 for rear EPB calipers either. There seem to be a lot of porsche guys running 3.12/1.11, but those are primarily mid-engine RWD cars.

I expect to get a bit more life with the bigger TTRS setup, though since the rotor is thicker, I had to use thinner pads. Unless Ferodo lasts 3x longer than G-loc, I'm not sure I'm convinced.

For what it’s worth if 1.11s were available up front that is what I’d run. Same compound front and rear seems to be what these cars like the most.

I don’t know about 3x as long, but at some point I may try a 12/10 combo just to see. I have used them in the past and the modulation feel is excellent.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
For what it’s worth if 1.11s were available up front that is what I’d run. Same compound front and rear seems to be what these cars like the most.

I don’t know about 3x as long, but at some point I may try a 12/10 combo just to see. I have used them in the past and the modulation feel is excellent.
1.11 f/r seems obvious. Have driven on it before, don't have to burnish my rotors. Maybe I'll think about switching to something else once my discs are due.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
At the shop for the monthly visit. :rolleyes: Driver-side output shaft seal is leaking. I'll be real annoyed if the gearbox has to come out again given that was supposed to be replaced when they did the diff. Dunno what's up with the turbo yet.

The curse continues.

1677196023167.png

Hard to tell, but it looks like oil is coming out the compressor housing, you can see some pooled up on the low point of the WG actuator. So much for the ball bearing IS38 experiment, lol. Lasted about 400 miles on an EQT stage 2 ots tune.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
The curse continues.

View attachment 274116

Hard to tell, but it looks like oil is coming out the compressor housing, you can see some pooled up on the low point of the WG actuator. So much for the ball bearing IS38 experiment, lol. Lasted about 400 miles on an EQT stage 2 ots tune.

Man, I just said the same thing about your nail ☹️

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Fingers crossed I'm picking the car up today or tomorrow with a leak-free IS38/DQ381.

Hoping to get started on the tune, tho I was hoping to have a fuel starvation solution by now. Still annoyed about EQT buying out the protec kit, was told I'd be able to buy one directly by January but EQT had to get their hands in the pie.

Also been in touch with Cobalt Friction, sounds like I'm going to try their XR2/XR4 as a (hopefully) more economical alternative to Ferodo. They're local which is always cool to support.

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
Also been in touch with Cobalt Friction, sounds like I'm going to try their XR2/XR4 as a (hopefully) more economical alternative to Ferodo. They're local which is always cool to support.

I have a few friends who are going this route for this year's track days. Looking forward to hearing about your experience. Hard to justify $1000 for a fresh set of pads if they get used up in a track season. Should last 2-3 at that price :ROFLMAO:

scrllock

Autocross Champion
I have a few friends who are going this route for this year's track days. Looking forward to hearing about your experience. Hard to justify $1000 for a fresh set of pads if they get used up in a track season. Should last 2-3 at that price :ROFLMAO:
Still waiting to hear a quote, but their site says the fronts are about $400/ea. Said they have the MQB e-brake rears available off the shelf, just have to get the fronts machined down to fit the TTRS rotors.

And now, alignment time on the R! No smoke or leaks yet, Unitronic dogbone is definitely more pleasant than the ecs arm + powerflex puck (but not vibration-free), and I can confirm it fits the superpro 26mm bar.
Also, the do88 radiator fit fine with their intercooler, so that's great news.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Didn't bother scanning codes, but looks like my oil pan sensor is wonky. Had to be trimmed for the iABED pan, so not too surprising. Gotta decide between trying to fabricate a spacer for a new sensor or looking for a different option.
@Acadia18 the curse remains

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Didn't bother scanning codes, but looks like my oil pan sensor is wonky. Had to be trimmed for the iABED pan, so not too surprising. Gotta decide between trying to fabricate a spacer for a new sensor or looking for a different option.
@Acadia18 the curse remains

Please for the love of fuck do not pass it over to me.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
So, getting there but running into a fitment problem. Seems like the spacer for the oil level sensor isn't big enough, even with the tip removed it still doesn't fit.

View attachment 260557

View attachment 260558

edit: apparently the tip of the sensor has to be shaved, per Iabed. Weird that they revised the sensor like this.
this shit. think i might just put the steel pan my new motor came with back on, throw on a new sensor and call it a day. the 2.0t race cars came with stock plastic pans and they run full slicks + aero. plus selling the iabed pan would help pay for that stupid... 6th? turbo I'm on.