GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Indicator settings??

santiagopilgrim

Ready to race!
Hi,

Is there a way to change the indicators so that if I'm changing lane and just gently push on the indicator stalk it flashes once, or twice, or more depending on the amount of time I push down, rather than it flashing a minimum of three times like it does at the moment?

Hope that makes sense, I'm sure it can be tweaked!

Thanks,

Santiago.

Hobby55

Ready to race!
Yep, I agree, three is not really enough, four would be better... If you are changing lanes or exiting a motorway then one flash (!) is not enough and could (will?) be construed by other road users as an "accidental" nudge of the stalk rather than any intention to change lanes...

Golpher1

Ready to race!
Had mine changed to 4 by a local retrofitting mob which used VCDS to tweak it (it can be changed to 5, & maybe more..can't remember exactly what it's min/max is).

3 seems to be a universal setting (work van even has it) which I've never agreed with as it encourages the driver to cut in too quickly....I was taught to look, then indicate (once or twice), & then merge slowly. Hence 4 (min) is required imo.

santiagopilgrim

Ready to race!
Thanks for all the replies.

The main reason for wanting 1 is that my MK4 was a 1-er.

I don't normally change lanes with just one flash on the indicator - I hate people who do this, especially if they indicate AS they are changing rather than before.

But my point still stands, I'd rather have perfect control of it - like I did in my MK4 - rather than a min. of three.

It's going in for a service on Monday - would the dealer be able to do this for me?

Once again, I agree that once isn't enough, but I like to hold it down for 3 or 4 rather than have the car do it for me!

Thanks.

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for all the replies.

The main reason for wanting 1 is that my MK4 was a 1-er.

I don't normally change lanes with just one flash on the indicator - I hate people who do this, especially if they indicate AS they are changing rather than before.

But my point still stands, I'd rather have perfect control of it - like I did in my MK4 - rather than a min. of three.

It's going in for a service on Monday - would the dealer be able to do this for me?

Once again, I agree that once isn't enough, but I like to hold it down for 3 or 4 rather than have the car do it for me!

Thanks.

From also owning a MK4 , from what I recall, you held the lever in the position which was as ideal as just tapping the lever as per MK5 onwards.

santiagopilgrim

Ready to race!
From also owning a MK4 , from what I recall, you held the lever in the position which was as ideal as just tapping the lever as per MK5 onwards.

Not if you're old fashioned like me and don't like the car to do things automatically...

Using the above example - if you accidentally hit it, you have to wait 3 flashes, making what would have normally been an accidental flash something even more confusing to other motorists.

Last edited:

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
Not if you're old fashioned like me and don't like the car to do things automatically...

Using the above example - if you accidentally hit it, you have to wait 3 flashes, making what would have normally been an accidental flash something even more confusing to other motorists.

If I didn't like things done automatically I wouldn't have bought this or many other available cars and kept my Vauxhall Viva HC.
The automatic things now enhance the driving experience not hinder it, lights, wipers, heating/ventilation/climate, gears, mirrors, reverse light, seat belt tension, speed, distance to the car in front, foot brake pressure, handbrake, choke, timing, locking and unlocking, radio volume to name a few.

santiagopilgrim

Ready to race!
Yep, and I agree with almost all of the electronic/automatic things in modern cars, I think they made it much safer and will cause less wear and tear on the car in the long run, otherwise I wouldn't have bought a mk7 Golf - but it would be nice if you could change small things like the indicator to be more manual.

Chris Leger

Car(s)
I am likewise old, with profound control issues.

There's a blessed setting in the radio display for this, at least in US cars. Gives the option of either a single flash, or three on the momentary aspect of the switch.

santiagopilgrim

Ready to race!
Chris, thanks for your post - very helpful.

I'm wouldn't say I'm 'old' yet - but I am definitely 'old fashioned' and I have a hard time appreciating a lot of things in modern cars.

I did have a look through the menus earlier, but now that you said that I had another look and I've changed it to single flash :)

The option is under car settings --> lights --> change lane flash

Finally got there :)

Afrobaron

Ready to race!
If you want a light push to give a single flash turn off the convenience indicator option in the normal car menus under lighting i believe. If you want anything other then 1 or 3 you need to use VCDS.