GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Increased intake noise after FMIC install

kbseller

Car(s)
Golf Alltrack
Basically the title. I have an IE v2 open air intake and just installed a FMIC with my 1.8 TSI this past weekend. Intake noise was already somewhat loud but I swear it has gotten significantly louder post FMIC install. Most notably when under throttle in the suction stage. I know I tightened everything very well (checked multiple times because I didn't want to take my bumper off again) but I guess I could check again if everyone says this ain't right. There is no whistling or whining or high pitched air flow noises. Just pure WHOOSH intake noise. Is this normal?

Last edited:

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 GTI, 2017 GSW
Just pure WHOOSH intake noise. Is this normal?
Well you modified the air intake system when you added the FMIC so if its higher flow, it makes sense you would have more noise from the air moving through the boost pipes.

If you are worried about boost leaks, get a boost gauge or record some logs.

kbseller

Car(s)
Golf Alltrack
Well you modified the air intake system when you added the FMIC so if its higher flow, it makes sense you would have more noise from the air moving through the boost pipes.

If you are worried about boost leaks, get a boost gauge or record some logs.
Just an FYI if anyone else reads this post in the future. Yesterday I was flooring it in third on an on ramp and immediately lost all boost. Popped a charge pipe off so not sure if the noise was related or not (probably was) but yeah. Probably had a boost leak that wasn't flagged as an EPC light or anything.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
So when that happens are you still able to drive it home? Just won't be able to make boost?

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 GTI, 2017 GSW
So when that happens are you still able to drive it home? Just won't be able to make boost?

Yes. The turbo will be venting the boosted air into the atmosphere and the open charge pipe will suck in ambient air at atmospheric level so you will receive no boost and the ambient air you are sucking into the engine is now unfiltered . The car will go into limp mode to protect the engine from damage but is still driveable

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
You can also just shut the car off and restart it to reset limp mode.

kbseller

Car(s)
Golf Alltrack
Yes. The turbo will be venting the boosted air into the atmosphere and the open charge pipe will suck in ambient air at atmospheric level so you will receive no boost and the ambient air you are sucking into the engine is now unfiltered . The car will go into limp mode to protect the engine from damage but is still driveable
@BadHombre760

Yes, I can confirm that's exactly what happened. I drove back to work (happened at lunch) then 45 min home. No real issues, just very low boost and anything above 4k rpm felt like it was in limp mode. I babied it on the way back. The issue was that the charge pipe wasn't fully over the lip of the intercooler. It was tightened down on top of the lip which caused it to pop off.