GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Inconsistent misfires, high knock values, limp mode + epc light on a tune

chema

Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Hey everybody! New member here,

To start off, my car is a 2017 Golf R with about 21,500 miles (I bought it a year ago with 15,600) and it's equipped with full bolt-ons. It's been treating me great but I've noticed weird issues that are of concern to me.

First, I get inconsistent misfires pretty much every time I drive it as during one 20-minute drive I get 3-8-2-5 misfires on cylinders 1-4 respectively, but then on another 20-minute drive I get 7-1-4-2 misfires (my car does not throw a CEL or a misfire code but I see this on my scanner from Snap-On).

Secondly, my Cobb AP reads high knock values on at least 3 cylinders whenever I go WOT (the values typically fall into the 5-8 range on any tune).

Thirdly, on my base map from Sneekytuned my car would go into limp mode and throw an EPC light whenever I try to do a 2k-6.5k rpm WOT pull in 3rd gear (there would be no throttle response but the car would drive like normal after I restart the car). I currently have installed a MAPerformance stage 2 tune and it doesn't cause my car go into limp mode.

I'm not sure what the problem(s) may be as I have one-step-colder Brisk spark plugs, RS3 coil packs, and an HPA HPFP installed. I live in LA so I run 91 octane gas from Shell. I've been told that it may be my fuel injectors but on my AP my AFR falls right around the 14.7 value while idling. Does anyone have any clue as to what would be the main cause of these things? Sorry for the long post but I'd appreciate any info on what I should look at in diagnosing these things before I go ahead and waste money taking it to a dealership!

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Flash to stock and see what happens?

chema

Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Just tried that and I still get misfires, but I just noticed that from a cold start I get A LOT of misfires on cylinder 4. I can try swapping the spark plugs or coils around and see if that gets replicated on a different cylinder from a cold start!

OBP

Go Kart Newbie
Why do you have a HPFP?

I’m 99% sure that the MAP tune does NOT account for that pump upgrade.

Is your Sneeky tune adjusted for that either?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I can't comment on the misfires, but

Secondly, my Cobb AP reads high knock values on at least 3 cylinders whenever I go WOT (the values typically fall into the 5-8 range on any tune).

I currently have installed a MAPerformance stage 2 tune and it doesn't cause my car go into limp mode.

Those two points are probably directly related...

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I agree that the tune probably doesn't account for the HPFP and you don't need it anyway with your mods. Plus I would get rid of the Brisk plugs and just use stock or NGK Rutheniums.

chema

Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Why do you have a HPFP?

I’m 99% sure that the MAP tune does NOT account for that pump upgrade.

Is your Sneeky tune adjusted for that either?
I'm planning on getting a custom E30 tune from EQT or Sneekytuned, so I got the HPFP for that and not for the MAP tune.

I got my base Sneeky tune before I got a HPFP. The same day I got my Sneeky tune I installed the Brisk spark plugs.

chema

Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Another thing to add is that on any staged tune my car backfires (does a large BRAP sound) in between shifts of all gears while in WOT. It's a manual trans so it's definitely not dsg farts...