GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

In a bit of a pickle, could really use some other R owners input...

robschwieb

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I just hope they do a good job with the new engine. Proper torque, proper assembly, replacing one time use hardware. More issues down the road or immediately after a new engine are common if a good mechanic doesn't work on the car. Luckily, most of these bigger jobs are done by more veteran techs. Hopefully the shop foreman oversees the job.

Take this time to order any parts that you want to swap in. Now would be a good time to do it. I'd also ask about which parts they are going to reuse. I'd replace some of the wearable parts if VW doesn't have it on their list. Engine & trans mounts, bushings, possibly axles, etc. If you are going to have a new engine, might as well have everything else new.

What about suspension? Since you put it into a ditch, did you have anything steering or suspension related fail? Car still drive straight? Any shaking or vibration?
You and me both. It's the only VW dealer in our area but known for reputable work. Thankfully, they aren't piecing the whole engine together but instead ordering a full long block. Yes, still aux items they can mess up but I do all my own wrenching so not too concerned there.

As for wearable parts, the car only has 20k on it and drove perfectly before despite being a front end collision rebuild. I might have them slap in an upgraded dog bone but idk.

Suspension is suspect and that's why I had them add the alignment with lane assist calibration. I visually expected everything, anticipating a bent LCA and to my surprise everything looked great. Even all 4 level sensors were undamaged. Literally looks like the the oil pan/sub frame skidded on the high spot of the shoulder and that's it. Not saying there isn't suspension damage but the insurance and dealer said if they find anything they will file a supplemental claim that will be covered and attached to the original claim. Not sure if it still drives straight or has vibrations as I was limping it and a bit in shock during the 2 minute drive of shame with no oil pressure.

All in all, I'm pleased with the outcome at this point because I truly do love the car.

robschwieb

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
After 2 very long months...reunited and it feeeeeels so gooood!

(and I picked up a $600 Rabbit winter project car ;))

PXL_20221117_224138935.jpg

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP

lostang

Car(s)
golf R
After 2 very long months...reunited and it feeeeeels so gooood!

(and I picked up a $600 Rabbit winter project car ;))

View attachment 265920
Car looks great!. i also took a chance on a rebuilt title car back in 2020 and its been great. mine had 6k miles on it when i bought it after it was fixed by person who had bought it at auction.

Attachments

• IMG_3128.JPG
    IMG_3128.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_3101.jpg
    IMG_3101.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 49