GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Important PSA regarding improperly built TPC20 Turbos

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Your numbers aren’t real lmao. Anecdotal evidence ≠ evidence.

But I’ll leave you be, if you ever feel like taking a YouTube course on statistics I think that could help you
No.. numbers are real. I said you can choose not to extrapolate if you don't wanted to.

TPC sold two bad TPC20s to NYC in the span of a few months in 2019. You can say it was just bad luck, and TPC sold thousands of TPC20 turbos, and 2 of these thousands just happened to end up in NYC. Or, you can believe a large portion of those TPC20 turbos are bad. I believe the later. Shortly after, they "revised" the TPC20. Hmm.. coincidence?

Then two years later, TPC sells another bad turbo to NYC (me). WTF!?? Maybe TPC hates NYC. Again, maybe they sell hundreds of thousands and NYC got unlucky again?
Oh.. look, they take the TPC20 off the website.. maybe to "revise" it?

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
No.. numbers are real. I said you can choose not to extrapolate if you don't wanted to.

TPC sold two bad TPC20s to NYC in the span of a few months in 2019. You can say it was just bad luck, and TPC sold thousands of TPC20 turbos, and 2 of these thousands just happened to end up in NYC. Or, you can believe a large portion of those TPC20 turbos are bad. I believe the later. Shortly after, they "revised" the TPC20. Hmm.. coincidence?

Then two years later, TPC sells another bad turbo to NYC (me). WTF!?? Maybe TPC hates NYC. Again, maybe they sell hundreds of thousands and NYC got unlucky again?
Oh.. look, they take the TPC20 off the website.. maybe to "revise" it?
Holy moly dude, three bad turbos in 3 years? Rarer than lightning strikes.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Don't ignore the details please. 2 bad turbos in the same city within months. Then again, 3 years later. Three people that know each other in real life! What are the chances?

I really also thought "what are the chances" I'll get a bad TPC20?? They changed the turbo, and it's 3 years later... Yet, it still happened to me.

Don't ignore the details. You're part of the problem if you water it down to your above statement.

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
in the same city within months. Then again, 3 years later. Three people that know each other in real life! What are the chances?
What you are describing here is conjecture. It's the definition of conjecture, which is the first thing a good detective is taught to question.

Conjecture - an opinion or conclusion formed on the basis of incomplete information.

If you don't audit your own conjecture, it leads you down rabbit holes. It allows you to make false conclusions that are not based on data.

It's fine this experience has ruined your relationship with TPC. It would probably discourage me from being a future customer as well, but I don't think your conclusion here is based in good logic.

Your experience is a good starting point for an investigation. It leaves me with a big "hmmm... What's going on here", but data is needed.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
It's fine this experience has ruined your relationship with TPC. It would probably discourage me from being a future customer as well, but I don't think your conclusion here is based in good logic.

Your experience is a good starting point for an investigation. It leaves me with a big "hmmm... What's going on here", but data is needed.

Yea, but we don't have the big data unfortunately. I'm really a data and logic guy. I'm not that guy that jumps on bandwagons or clings to conspiracy theories. That's why I gave TPC a 3rd chance with my own money, but got screwed also.

If this makes someone else pause and do extra homework, then I'm happy.

Last edited:

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Plot twist…

Zumble actually works for TPC and is trying reverse psychology on all us
IMG_4626.gif

Daily Driver

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
5 bad Turbos in 3 years, I'm on my 2nd TPC38 replacement, do I have bad luck I 100% do, did lightening strike on me? Possibly. My installers were FFE who are know to build engines, and my 2nd Turbo was installed by PagParts. I finally decided to install this 3rd Turbo myself cause I refuse to pay for another install a 3rd time.

And wait!? All the bad Turbos are from NYC? I'm from freaking NY. How is that even possible!? 5 Turbos installed at different locations by different tuners all failed. What, this can't be just a coincidence.

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT