GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Important PSA regarding improperly built TPC20 Turbos

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
honestly this thread has been a life-saver and an eye-opener. Thank god I didn't buy a TPC based off of the positive thread a few months back.

Mk7Matt

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
honestly this thread has been a life-saver and an eye-opener. Thank god I didn't buy a TPC based off of the positive thread a few months back.
Still tuning but mine works well.
IMG_5999.png
IMG_6001.png

Mk7Matt

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Cool. Looks like the turbo is surging a bit in the middle of the pull, not sure what's happening there. Looks like your turbo spools properly. Doesn't seem to spool better than a Vortex? Is this a "performance cover" turbo?
It is a performance cover. And it hits 28psi around 3500 rpm in 3rd. Can a vortex spool that quickly in 3rd?

I start ramping up the boost at 5k and hit around 32 psi by 6k. Not sure what you’re seeing there. I don’t hear any surge or flutter.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
It is a performance cover. And it hits 28psi around 3500 rpm in 3rd. Can a vortex spool that quickly in 3rd?

I start ramping up the boost at 5k and hit around 32 psi by 6k. Not sure what you’re seeing there. I don’t hear any surge or flutter.
1685504077706.png

Yea, I've seen vortex turbos do about 28 psi at 3500 ish.. I think a Std may do better. It's a smaller compressor and turbine, BB vs JB, and still doesn't do anything significantly better? Point is, why bother with TPC. It does nothing special?

Mk7Matt

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
View attachment 282622

Yea, I've seen vortex turbos do about 28 psi at 3500 ish.. I think a Std may do better. It's a smaller compressor and turbine, BB vs JB, and still doesn't do anything significantly better? Point is, why bother with TPC. It does nothing special?
What turbo are you running? Have any data logs for comparison?

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
What turbo are you running? Have any data logs for comparison?

I have a vortex on a 1.8, so bad comparison. I'm sure there are plenty of 2.0 vortex logs around. I think this shows the vortex spools as well, if not better than your setup. I have a stock intake box/catted dp/stock 1.8 catback. So flow kinda sucks.

1685507118218.png

Mk7Matt

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I have a vortex on a 1.8, so bad comparison. I'm sure there are plenty of 2.0 vortex logs around. I think this shows the vortex spools as well, if not better than your setup. I have a stock intake box/catted dp/stock 1.8 catback. So flow kinda sucks.

View attachment 282627
How does show that your setup spools as well or better than mine?

How you can even remotely compare this to mine is laughable. I’ve seen plenty of Vortex and Vortex XL logs. From what I’ve seen mine spools faster than most and uses a lot less gate up top. Buddy of mine with a built motor couldn’t get his vortex xl to hold 34 psi up top at 100% gate.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
How does show that your setup spools as well or better than mine?

How you can even remotely compare this to mine is laughable. I’ve seen plenty of Vortex and Vortex XL logs. From what I’ve seen mine spools faster than most and uses a lot less gate up top. Buddy of mine with a built motor couldn’t get his vortex xl to hold 34 psi up top at 100% gate.
No it doesn't show my setup is better than yours. I told you my setup sucks and it was a bad comparison, yet my smaller engine without VVL, only spools 500 rpm later than your turbo? I think that shows how well the Vortex turbos can spool. Your gate values up top are low. I actually don't think of a vortex as a 34 psi turbo. It looks like your turbo might have enough gate to run 36 or 38 psi! Have you tried it?

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
TPC can have bad turbos
TPC can have good turbos

Both can be true. If someone posts a log with a good running TPC turbo, you dont need to take offense to it, they are just providing a data point. This whole trend in today's world of trying to silence someone with a descending opinion is exhausting. If every time someone presents counter evidence they are belittled, places become a circle jerk echo chamber instead of being informative.

For example, someone may stumble upon this thread who already bought a TPC25 and is now wondering if their turbo is defective. They can compare their logs to Mk7Matt and know theirs may be ok.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
TPC can have bad turbos
TPC can have good turbos

Both can be true. If someone posts a log with a good running TPC turbo, you dont need to take offense to it, they are just providing a data point. This whole trend in today's world of trying to silence someone with a descending opinion is exhausting. If every time someone presents counter evidence they are belittled, places become a circle jerk echo chamber instead of being informative.

For example, someone may stumble upon this thread who already bought a TPC25 and is now wondering if their turbo is defective. They can compare their logs to Mk7Matt and know theirs may be ok.

I've been agreeing that his turbo works all along. But also pointing out it doesn't work significantly better than other options. Weird to ask what turbo I'm running and ask for logs when I'm the OP and the turbo I'm running and data is in the first page.

Mk7Matt

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I've been agreeing that his turbo works all along. But also pointing out it doesn't work significantly better than other options. Weird to ask what turbo I'm running and ask for logs when I'm the OP and the turbo I'm running and data is in the first page.
Yeah that's my bad. I don't go back to the first page of the thread when I notice it bump back up to the top. 16 pages so far and most of it anecdotal nonsense with no real data.

It sucks that you had a shitty experience with TPC. I had a shitty turbo from Mabo. Maybe I should start a post...

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Yeah that's my bad. I don't go back to the first page of the thread when I notice it bump back up to the top. 16 pages so far and most of it anecdotal nonsense with no real data.

It sucks that you had a shitty experience with TPC. I had a shitty turbo from Mabo. Maybe I should start a post...

The real data is in the first few pages. You should check it. That was before people starting injecting bullshit in to the thread.

You should totally start a post if Mabo was knowingly pushing turbos that were bad from the factory, and not doing their best to make things right for their customers. I 100% support this. TPC and Mabo are both shady china turbo resellers.

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
TPC can have bad turbos
TPC can have good turbos

This is the proper take.
Amusing to see that OP is still on the crusade.

In any case just for some weary internet traveler.
<---TPC20 with 4 years of use and abuse.

Finally retired it last season (for a newer TPC unit) , just to be put into an alltrack so it can continue to provide despair to all those who challenge.

Happy boostin.