GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Important PSA regarding improperly built TPC20 Turbos

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
If you want to make those claims, I'm okay with it. Btw, still waiting for you to share your personal experiences. You're seeing real numbers here. Out of 6 TPC turbos that people have personal experience with, 4 are defective. These are just the turbos two people personally know of, IRL. What percentage is 4 out of 6?
You think "two people" somehow represents their entire consumer base? 🤦‍♂️

If TPC is sending 3 turbos out to every customer who pays for 1 then they simply would not be able to stay in business. If you can't wrap your head around that then you should learn the concept of cash flow.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
You think "two people" somehow represents their entire consumer base? 🤦‍♂️

If TPC is sending 3 turbos out to every customer who pays for 1 then they simply would not be able to stay in business. If you can't wrap your head around that then you should learn the concept of cash flow.

You're the one that isn't wrapping your head around the math. Let me lay out the facts for you because you don't seem to get it.

1. We have 6 turbos which two people PERSONALLY know about. We aren't making assumptions. Out of those six turbos, four are bad. I'll do the math for you, that's 66% of them. Shit.. amazing.. I was right. Jay and I don't even know each other! Again, I invite you to present your own numbers which have some value to this conversation. At this point, we have some trust worthy numbers which we will just need to extrapolate.

2. TPC isn't paying for turbos or replacing them. They are claiming all is working well and denying problems. TPC will ask you to pull the bad turbo, and send it back to them for evaluation. That leaves the customer with no turbo and pulling and reinstalling the turbo. Customer gets fucked. What I see is most people don't even know something is wrong because their tuners (TPC tuners) are ignoring the fact that these turbos aren't making the boost they should.

3. TPC makes turbos for other platforms. Their VW turbos FOR SURE suck and they don't care. They could be selling turbos on other platforms that work fine and help them stay in business. This doesn't change the fact that their VW turbos seem to be bad.

Do you have a TPC turbo @Subliminal ?

Last edited:

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
You're the one that isn't wrapping your head around the math. Let me lay out the facts for you because you don't seem to get it.

1. We have 6 turbos which two people PERSONALLY know about. We aren't making assumptions. Out of those six turbos, four are bad. I'll do the math for you, that's 66% of them. Shit.. amazing.. I was right. Jay and I don't even know each other! Again, I invite you to present your own numbers which have some value to this conversation. At this point, we have some trust worthy numbers which we will just need to extrapolate.

2. TPC isn't paying for turbos or replacing them. They are claiming all is working well and denying problems. TPC will ask you to pull the bad turbo, and send it back to them for evaluation. That leaves the customer with no turbo and pulling and reinstalling the turbo. Customer gets fucked. What I see is most people don't even know something is wrong because their tuners (TPC tuners) are ignoring the fact that these turbos aren't making the boost they should.

3. TPC makes turbos for other platforms. Their VW turbos FOR SURE suck and they don't care. They could be selling turbos on other platforms that work fine and help them stay in business. This doesn't change the fact that their VW turbos seem to be bad.

Do you have a TPC turbo @Subliminal ?
Lol dude your own points are contradicting each other. If TPC is "claiming all is working well, denying all problems, fucking all of their customers over, and leaving them without a turbo" then how is it the 2 people you know have 6 turbos from them?

It's painfully obvious you have some sort of personal vendetta out against TPC

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Lol dude your own points are contradicting each other. If TPC is "claiming all is working well, denying all problems, fucking all of their customers over, and leaving them without a turbo" then how is it the 2 people you know have 6 turbos from them?

It's painfully obvious you have some sort of personal vendetta out against TPC

I'm not sure you're capable of simple math and logical reasoning. Let me try one more time.

Jay knows 2 good turbos personally, and I know 4 bad turbos personally. These are people we personally know in real life. 4+2=6. So out of 6 total turbos between Jay and I, 4 are bad. Are you following right now? 4 is 66% of 6. These are the facts and math we are working with. There is no opinion in this, that's why we are only talking about 6 turbos total.

TPC always claims their turbos are fine even when provided logs that say otherwise, and even after boost leak testing. Then if the customer pushes, they ask for the turbo to be shipped back to them for evaluation. This requires the customer to pull the turbo (costs money and time), ship the turbo (costs money), then reinstall a turbo later (costs money and time). Do you understand that? Do you understand these cars don't operate without a turbo in the system?

Let's bring it back to the 6 turbos, where 4 are bad. Are you denying 66% of the 6 turbos are bad?

Last edited:

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
If you click a users name, a menu pops up and there's an "ignore" button. Just in case anyone would find that helpful here.

Don't get the thread locked by arguing with someone who's trying to troll you. Keep it on topic and move on.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
I'm not sure you're capable of simple math and logical reasoning. Let me try one more time.

Jay knows 2 good turbos personally, and I know 4 bad turbos personally. These are people we personally know in real life. 4+2=6. So out of 6 total turbos between Jay and I, 4 are bad. Are you following right now? 4 is 66% of 6. These are the facts and math we are working with. There is no opinion in this, that's why we are only talking about 6 turbos total.

TPC always claims their turbos are fine even when provided logs otherwise with boost leak testing. Then if the customer pushes, they ask for the turbo to be shipped back to them for evaluation. This requires the customer to pull the turbo (costs money and time), ship the turbo (costs money), then reinstall a turbo later (costs money and time). Do you understand that? Do you understand these cars don't operate without a turbo in the system?

Let's bring it back to the 6 turbos, where 4 are bad. Are you denying 66% of the 6 turbos are bad?
That makes sense if you really think they've sold a grand total of 6 turbos

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
That makes sense if you really think they've sold a grand total of 6 turbos
Okay. Tell me the exact number of turbos that TPC has sold. Then, send me their email logs and phone logs of complaints. When you can give me real numbers like that, come back.

I'm giving you as real numbers as we can get. I'm not even including people that have contacted me over the internet, I'm keeping it as fair as possible.

If you don't understand the numbers and why, it's okay, as long as other people do.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Jim Lloyd had a TPC turbo that lasted many, many miles.

Anecdotes aren't a reliable source of information tho.

If I remember correctly, he had one of the first TPC20s. Two of my personal friends each had bad TPC20s of that same era. Still dealing with a 66% failure rate. That just proves there was a high failure rate back then, and the trend still exists now (My 2022 TPC20 was bad).

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Jim Lloyd had a TPC turbo that lasted many, many miles.

Anecdotes aren't a reliable source of information tho.

If I remember correctly, he had one of the first TPC20s. Two of my personal friends each had bad TPC20s of that same era. Still dealing with a 66% failure rate. That just proves there was a high failure rate back then, and the trend still exists now (My 2022 TPC20 was bad).

I know of at least one well known person around here who had their TPC turbo take out their entire engine, which TPC surprising covered, under the condition neither they or the shop never mentioned anything about the turbo failing...

Going to let you guys connect the dots I'm saying here...

Daily Driver

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
why are you guys like this? getting emotional when someone attacks your favorite brand? always nit picking argument within the post to take attention away from the main post. Ive had TPC Turbo for 3yrs when @ZuMBLe made this post i didn't get in my feelings crying, all i asked if this is an issue i want to know more. as everyone else should want, but when you get the fan boys is what brings the real attention down. He doesnt have a Vendetta against TPC ya just a bunch of 🌈 hurt everytime someone calls out your favorite tuner.

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI

Extrapolating a statistically insignificant sample is going to give you a statistically insignificant result.

No one knows how many turbos TPC has sold, nor does anyone know how many have failed. You can take the information you have and infer whatever you want from that but it doesn't make you right. Or wrong. No one here is right or wrong for certain, it's a lot of assuming.

That's all I have to say.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Extrapolating a statistically insignificant sample is going to give you a statistically insignificant result.

No one knows how many turbos TPC has sold, nor does anyone know how many have failed. You can take the information you have and infer whatever you want from that but it doesn't make you right. Or wrong. No one here is right or wrong for certain, it's a lot of assuming.

That's all I have to say.
But since we don't have TPC's numbers, we can only work with what we have. We have to extrapolate. We can't deny that out of the small sample size, the numbers are bad. Jay and I don't know each other. The bad turbos I know of, run the whole range of TPC VW turbos. We've also proven that at the very least, the "performance" compresor covers they are charging people for, are just alibaba covers. None of it looks good.

Knowing what you know now, would you buy a TPC? There are other options out there, which people don't have problems with.

Last edited: