Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
And if you're asking for torque spec, it's 90ft-lbs

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
You shouldn't use an impact to tighten it unless you know you can get it to below spec and torque the rest of the way with a torque wrench... Maybe that's the ocd in me though

I have an electric impact I use to take my wheels off and on. Are they torqued to spec? Probably not. But I'm way too lazy to bust out a torque wrench and get them all to spec.

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
You shouldn't use an impact to tighten it unless you know you can get it to below spec and torque the rest of the way with a torque wrench... Maybe that's the ocd in me though
I’m share the OCD over this. Refuse to have a Tire shop put my car on a lift. I bring them the wheels for tires to be dismounted/mounted and pick them up once they’re ready.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Me and my partner had a 40" breaker bar with a cheater stick on a lug the other day and were bouncing on it to break lugs loose last week. Customer recently had tires mounted at discount tires...I told the guy he should go back there and punch them in the jaw. Zero chance he'd have been able to change a tire with the trunk tools if he had to after they ooga dooga'd the lugs on.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Me and my partner had a 40" breaker bar with a cheater stick on a lug the other day and were bouncing on it to break lugs loose last week. Customer recently had tires mounted at discount tires...I told the guy he should go back there and punch them in the jaw. Zero chance he'd have been able to change a tire with the trunk tools if he had to after they ooga dooga'd the lugs on.

Yup, have seen the same coming from shops. The impact I have couldn't get them loose, had to jump on a breaker bar to crack them.

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Yup, have seen the same coming from shops. The impact I have couldn't get them loose, had to jump on a breaker bar to crack them.

Sounds like great fun, especially when you get a flat in a poorly lit, questionable neighborhood.

THEREALVRT

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf R
i use the ryobi 1/2 in impact to remove my lugs, on setting 3 it takes them off no problem. To install i hand tighten a few turns then use setting 1 to tighten then i hand torque with a torque wrench

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Big fan of milwaukee impacts. For lugs the go to is my 1/2" medium torque impact which is rated at 600 pounds. I've tried my right angle 3/8" impact as well as my 1/4" hex impact with a socket conversion and both will take off lug bolts to my surprise. (Provided they are torqued properly)

20201222_173041.jpg

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
I use a torque limiting extension on my impact which takes it to around 80 ft lbs. Then the torque wrench, on the ground. works great.

Ryobi impact at.lowest settings, letting off of it before it starts to chatter is close enough to put the car on the ground and tighten with torque wrench.