GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Immature kids and their BOVs

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
I get this all the time by these idiots with their BOVs. They will purposely speed up or rev their engine so that their BOV will go off when they get next to me. For an example, the other day I was getting gas and while standing at the pump filling up my car, this stupid douchebag in his B5 A4 with a fmic and BOV thought he was cool by speeding up once he saw me to have his BOV go off right next to me. I wish my car was done with it's break-in period and retuned because if it was, I would have pulled up next to him and tell him "Just because you have a BOV doesn't automatically make your car fast." Does this happen to anybody else?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I get this all the time by these idiots with their BOVs. They will purposely speed up or rev their engine so that their BOV will go off when they get next to me. For an example, the other day I was getting gas and while standing at the pump filling up my car, this stupid douchebag in his B5 A4 with a fmic and BOV thought he was cool by speeding up once he saw me to have his BOV go off right next to me. I wish my car was done with it's break-in period and retuned because if it was, I would have pulled up next to him and tell him "Just because you have a BOV doesn't automatically make your car fast." Does this happen to anybody else?
Yes especially with the guys with the pops and bangs.

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
I get this all the time by these idiots with their BOVs. They will purposely speed up or rev their engine so that their BOV will go off when they get next to me.
I have to admit, when I was a young (21) my inner street ricer would come out and I would do that to people too 😆. Good thing I only had the BOV/Spacer thing on my MK5 for about 3 weeks. That got old pretty quick.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Compensating...even when I was that same age I didn't do that...one bloke I knew I said, fine follow be down "x" road, do no more than 10% more than speed limit..& don't rely on my brake lights as I don't use the brakes much.....

30mins later when I pulled over & waited for him, he stopped got out the car & swore at me..his girlfriend was scared stiff..whilst my then GF was killing herself laughing (she knew what I was like)......a nice twisty road sorts of the wannabe's from the real drivers....& you don't need a big engine or loads of noise for it......:cool:

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
I pulled up next to an old guy in a new Ferrari in my very loud mk4 and did this. His wife looked horrified so I continued to do it until he sped off.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Lol, I had a kid pull up to me last weekend and started going off with his BOV. It was dark so I'm not sure what he was driving, think it was a focus though. I gave him one back, but it's like dude wtf do you think we're gonna do? We're surrounded by traffic, it's not the time to play. He probably heard my DV/intake when I was pulling out of the parking lot and when I was getting on it he was a couple lanes over on my left. I was more interested in getting my smoothie than racing him so I took a right turn and got off that road almost as soon as he started to spam his BOV next to me.

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
As I read your post, I thought "substitute pops and bangs" for "BOV." Looks like I wasn't the first to think it. HAHA! I'm building a video about my mods and shot a sequence that begins with "No, I didn't get the pops and bangs..." followed by a small rant. I'll probably leave it out of the video because it doesn't flow well with the other content and because it will result in butt-hurt in YouTube. I may tack it to the end of the video as an outro.

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
I feel like pops and bangs tunes is like your first PC. You get the nice flashy RBG lights, or whatever flashy neon lights were available at the time, for me it was 80mm fans that did LED skull patterns and other silly shit... combined with a glass window. Second PC is black matte, no window, no nonsense.

I'll probably kill the pops and bangs for stage 2, but it was really satisfying the first time I let it rip on the highway. I usually shift early in traffic, because whatever modifications I have on my car are for me to enjoy.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I don’t get a lot of tuner cars go at me with thier bov or pops n bangs really... it’s the chargers/camaro/stangs that I enjoy to play with.

Oh the FRS/brz’s will sometime make noise at me, but I rarely bother cause you’d have to have one insanely modified frs to even have a change with a hybrid Mqb.

My favorite thing to do in response to someone reving at me at a light is the air the car out 😂 it always changes the tune to them just wanting to shoot the shit or mention my fitment. Lol

Also what I’ve done before to the chargers is gap them real quick at one light then air out the car on the next light 😂😂 pure disrespect 😂😂

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
I'm 31 -- the GTI is my dream car. I wanted one from the first time I saw a mk3, then when I got my first car (a mk4) I was really interested. I've had several mk4 8v 2.0s for a long time, but never had a GTI, until very recently when it became a financially "responsible" (as in, not going broke to get one) option. While there's a lot I'd like to do, the power is plenty for street use 90% of the time, if I'm honest with myself. So what did I do? I made it a little more noisy, and made it look (in my opinion) a little better/different.

I've got no regrets with the DV spacer so far -- if I really hammer down and run the gears out, it's fun to indulge my childhood fantasies about a "fast" car that makes turbo sounds. But around town, without a ton of throttle, the car is quiet, subdued even, and just looks like a nicely done-up GTI -- it's not crazy loud, it's stock height, and it doesn't have much in the way of blatantly aftermarket cosmetic items on it.

I get my pops & bangs fix from my autocross car, which will hopefully be getting resolved soon as it's definitely not intentional, but rather the result (I believe) of cheap plugs. I don't really like pops and bangs, and I think that for 99% of the folks who have it, two step/NLS isn't useful. But hey, let the kids have their fun. I don't play around on the street, I lost my license once and that was plenty to get the hint. Anything that matters is happening on a closed course anyway, where it's safe to give 10/10ths.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI

Coincidentally, we had this happen on our commute to work this morning. Ford Fiesta (I'm not even sure if it was an ST or RS, truthfully) with a BOV revving up to the moon while driving next to us and at the stop light to make the blowoff noise. Unluckily, we were in my wife's 2008 Honda Fit so there were no gaps to be served haha.