GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I'm too lazy to read 50+ pages of diatribe. Please confirm I'm on the right path. 400hp/400tq daily driver MK7

jaystonewee

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI 4dr S 6spd
I'm a long time VWVortex tool. Seems you GolfMK7 fellers are way more smart than the 1.8T nevar looze yahoos on the 'tex.

I grew up with Mk2's, Mk3's, VR swaps, VR6 Turbo's, etc. I worked as a tech at a VW dealership from 1999-2005. I worked as a fabricator/mechanic at Saridea Inspired Engineering and 3R Racing/Automotive from 2006-2008. Lets just say I like cars as a hobby more than a job.

I bought my 2018 GTI 4door 6speed new a couple years ago. I'm not putting together parts/pieces for an OEM++ daily driver.

Let's look at the list of parts on the shelf, see if I'm missing anything.

034 P34 intake
034 SS catted DP
Wagner IC
OEM clubsport muffler
OEM euro MPI intake manifold
Precision Raceworks 450lph LPFP
Precision Raceworks 925cc MPI
EQT Vortex turbo with COBB accessport
TTRS pressure plate/OEM 240mm clutch

Little things like NGK 7347 plugs, 4 bar MAP sensor, etc I'm not listing, as that get's pretty nit-picky.

I'm aiming to put together a relatively understressed reliable rocket. Max dyno numbers aren't the goal, rather a wolf in sheep's clothing.

Am I missing anything (besides sanity and $ in the bank)?

Pics for clicks. Winter mode. 19" VMR V710FF's are off until spring.
Bilstein B8's with MSS kits adjustable F/R street springs, ECS 2 piece non-PP front rotors, Apikol Boxster 986 front calipers, and some other small goodies.

20201129_131110.jpg

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I'm a long time VWVortex tool. Seems you GolfMK7 fellers are way more smart than the 1.8T nevar looze yahoos on the 'tex.

I grew up with Mk2's, Mk3's, VR swaps, VR6 Turbo's, etc. I worked as a tech at a VW dealership from 1999-2005. I worked as a fabricator/mechanic at Saridea Inspired Engineering and 3R Racing/Automotive from 2006-2008. Lets just say I like cars as a hobby more than a job.

I bought my 2018 GTI 4door 6speed new a couple years ago. I'm not putting together parts/pieces for an OEM++ daily driver.

Let's look at the list of parts on the shelf, see if I'm missing anything.

034 P34 intake
034 SS catted DP
Wagner IC
OEM clubsport muffler
OEM euro MPI intake manifold
Precision Raceworks 450lph LPFP
Precision Raceworks 925cc MPI
EQT Vortex turbo with COBB accessport
TTRS pressure plate/OEM 240mm clutch

Little things like NGK 7347 plugs, 4 bar MAP sensor, etc I'm not listing, as that get's pretty nit-picky.

I'm aiming to put together a relatively understressed reliable rocket. Max dyno numbers aren't the goal, rather a wolf in sheep's clothing.

Am I missing anything (besides sanity and $ in the bank)?

Pics for clicks. Winter mode. 19" VMR V710FF's are off until spring.
Bilstein B8's with MSS kits adjustable F/R street springs, ECS 2 piece non-PP front rotors, Apikol Boxster 986 front calipers, and some other small goodies.

View attachment 194388

Don’t forget a full set of BFI mounts, and if you don’t want it to sound like a Honda a 17950 resonator or the bolt on version, a OEM Fitment Resonated Midpipe

You’ll be 450whp with that turbo and fueling, with headroom for more if you blend some E.

You’ll be right at the limit of your TTRS clutch so just don’t roll into it below 4K rpm so the torque doesn’t kill it.

jaystonewee

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI 4dr S 6spd
I have Firehawk Indys in 235 35 19 on the summer wheels. Winters are Pilot Alpin PA4 on factory 18's

As for engine mounts, 034 street density instead of OEM fluid filled?

I am keeping the DMF, and would like a sprung clutch. The more OEM feeling the better. Suggestions?

jaystonewee

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI 4dr S 6spd
And thumbs up for the Vibrant resonator recomendation. I've used lots of Vibrant products in the past on both personal and customer builds.

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
I’d go with the Pagparts 450LPFP personally. I had also planned on going with the PR 450 but opted for the Pagparts unit instead. I felt it was a better choice given that you didn’t have to hack up the basket, and it is my understanding that the Pagparts filter flows better making it a better flowing unit all together despite the same Walbro pump. This gives you more fueling headroom if you choose to pursue Ethanol blends in the future. But at the end of the day both will accomplish your power goals. Other than that, you should be good to go. Great looking car, and welcome to the forum.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
I'd take a look at the A2B RS3 LPFP. OEM fuel pump with a slight tweak to work in the MK7s, and comes complete with controller etc.

And for that power goal on pump gas, you would do just fine with HPFP only, no MPI. But nothing wrong with overbuilding the fuel system either... MPI route is "better".

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I'd take a look at the A2B RS3 LPFP. OEM fuel pump with a slight tweak to work in the MK7s, and comes complete with controller etc.

And for that power goal on pump gas, you would do just fine with HPFP only, no MPI. But nothing wrong with overbuilding the fuel system either... MPI route is "better".

What's the tweak needed for the MK7?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I have Firehawk Indys in 235 35 19 on the summer wheels. Winters are Pilot Alpin PA4 on factory 18's

As for engine mounts, 034 street density instead of OEM fluid filled?

I am keeping the DMF, and would like a sprung clutch. The more OEM feeling the better. Suggestions?

Friends don’t let friends run 034. They have the record for the most mount failures by far. Runner up on that is CTS, both are less reliable than OEM

And thumbs up for the Vibrant resonator recomendation. I've used lots of Vibrant products in the past on both personal and customer builds.

Likewise, I’ve done a lot of R&D with this platform and found the 17950 is the ticket. None of their smaller resonators have a large enough internal volume.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
What's the tweak needed for the MK7?

I can't recall exactly how it's set up on the GTI.....but the RS3 is of course AWD/different style fuel tank so the lines going to the LPFP are a little different. But overall it's OEM quality drop in pump, A2B just makes the fuel lines hook up and has a PNP harness for controller. Super easy and reliable.

marauder

Go Kart Newbie
For the most part the list looks fine. You've got the bulk of it all covered. I assume you'll be looking to run an Ethanol blend?
Have you looked into tuning yet? I noticed you're looking to go with a Cobb Accessport. I work with Stratified and we've tuned plenty of Vortex turbos. We'll be able to build you a safe and reliable tune to get you those numbers.

jaystonewee

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI 4dr S 6spd
Marauder; I have looked into tuning, I plan on working with EQT to start with a 91 octane tune. 91 is the best we get (oxygenated, so max E10) in the Denver area. I will eventually work on an E85 blend tune down the road; would really like something with a flex fuel sensor and tuning that can compensate if possible...what do you think?

I'm thinking of ditching the OEM 240mm 23 spline disc and going with the Sachs 240mm performance disc with the TTRS pressure plate. If TTRS PP plus regular 240mm clutch disc is good for 400-430lb/ft, I would guess the combination of TTRS PP and Sachs performance sprung disc should be an incremental bump in grip.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Marauder; I have looked into tuning, I plan on working with EQT to start with a 91 octane tune. 91 is the best we get (oxygenated, so max E10) in the Denver area. I will eventually work on an E85 blend tune down the road; would really like something with a flex fuel sensor and tuning that can compensate if possible...what do you think?

I'm thinking of ditching the OEM 240mm 23 spline disc and going with the Sachs 240mm performance disc with the TTRS pressure plate. If TTRS PP plus regular 240mm clutch disc is good for 400-430lb/ft, I would guess the combination of TTRS PP and Sachs performance sprung disc should be an incremental bump in grip.

You do realize that you're asking a Stratified employee on what he thinks of you working with EQT don't you?

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
No, your clutch choice it’s still too weak for a hybrid car and will be your limiting factor. Should be fine if the tune is built around that clutch and they pretty much pull the timing below say 4500rpms though... just Won’t be taking advantage of the turbo and fueling you have in mind to it’s potential.