GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I'm holding my IS20 actuator rod. This means I need to replace the actuator, right?

mattkime

Passed Driver's Ed
I was getting codes related to the wastegate so I thought I'd see if the actuator needed adjustment. Its my first time doing this but somehow I end up with the actuator rod in my hand. I think it means I've found the problem buuuut maybe I've just found a new mistake to make. I made a half hearted effort at reinstalling the rod but there's not a lot of room back there and I'm somewhat nervous I'm going to drop the rod before I actually get it installed.
Oh, I'm running the IS20 on my 1.8t Alltrack.

So, can this be fixed without removing the turbo?

mattkime

Passed Driver's Ed
Thats not supposed to come out, lol
whyyyyyyyyy - seriously, seems like such an odd failure case.

I still have my IS12 so I was able to verify that the unthreaded end shouldn't fucking come out.

Any recommendations on replacements? If just the actuator can be replaced then I might as well do that. I need to talk to my tuner to see what his advice is.

mk6'12gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Mk7.5 Gti
I have a used is20 w/g if you need one.

mk6'12gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Mk7.5 Gti

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
Your IS12 has the same actuator, just use that one and calibrate.

Also, I've never taken and actuator apart, but is it possible you just need to slid the rod back in? Any evidence of breakage? When adjusting the rod it spins freely so it should slide back into the actuator and from the looks of it that ribber bit slids into the boot or something:

41702-14380-oem-elektricky-wastegate-regulator-turboduchadla-ihi-is20.jpg

It may require removal to fix, but don't give up on it quite yet...plus you have a spare lol.

mk6'12gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Mk7.5 Gti
If you want a new one I can get you a good deal on a new one as well. I work at a vw dealership.

mattkime

Passed Driver's Ed
Your IS12 has the same actuator, just use that one and calibrate.

Also, I've never taken and actuator apart, but is it possible you just need to slid the rod back in? Any evidence of breakage? When adjusting the rod it spins freely so it should slide back into the actuator and from the looks of it that ribber bit slids into the boot or something:

It may require removal to fix, but don't give up on it quite yet...plus you have a spare lol.
Lets put it this way - if I pull (gently!) on the actuator rod on my IS12 it does not come out. I don't think fixing it is something that can be done while the turbo and actuator are installed.
I'll collect the parts and examine then. Might as well get some entertainment out of it.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Reason #76 why I don't work on car.

I accidently unscrewed mine but managed to screw it back in. I don't think the other side came out though.

mattkime

Passed Driver's Ed
Reason #76 why I don't work on car.

I accidently unscrewed mine but managed to screw it back in. I don't think the other side came out though.
I think I could manage if I did that. as things happened, it was released at the broken end and still connected at the adjustable end.

mattkime

Passed Driver's Ed
Here's a topic with one dissembled so you can see what it looks like on the inside. Not sure if its fixable?

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...d-is20-wastegate-actuator-disassemble.404920/

I can see exactly where it came apart - it looks like there are some tack welds on the end. I suspect that if you had two broken actuators you might be able to create one working actuator. The question is whether it would be more reliable to install a new(-ish) one.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2009 GLI, 2016 GTI
Bummer. Surprised the rod is tack welded on to the little moving lug thing instead of being threaded in or something.