GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I'm a new owner of a golf mk 7 2013 - please advise - boot lining under spare wheel soaking wet - Also DPF filter warning has come on

timarthur1983

Car(s)
golf mk 7 gt
I have just taken this from the garage.

Golf TDI 2013 59k miles.

Under the spare wheel the boot lining is soaking wet - any ideas?

DPF filter warning is this serious? Can I clear this with a long drive.

My knowledge on cars is very limited.

Thanks

Tim

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
You should give more context, and detail, so we can understand what you're dealing with exactly.

It sounds like the Def fluid is leaking and the car isn't keeping the filter clean...? Or maybe it was spilled on refill and coincidentally the car never gets up to operating temp? Yes, a short 15 min drive keeping the revs at 2500 can clear that error if it's an issue like the latter.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie

Golf TDI 2013 59k miles.

Thanks

Tim
Pretty common for the rear slam vent seals to perish and let water in, especially this time of year.

I'd be taking it straight back to the selling garage and have them both resolve the seal issue and ensure the DPF is in healthy working order.

Side note... If it's showing a warning light then the vehicle hasn't been treat with any respect whatsoever. Perhaps exercise your right of return and find another car?

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
You should give more context, and detail, so we can understand what you're dealing with exactly.

It sounds like the Def fluid is leaking and the car isn't keeping the filter clean...? Or maybe it was spilled on refill and coincidentally the car never gets up to operating temp? Yes, a short 15 min drive keeping the revs at 2500 can clear that error if it's an issue like the latter.
There's no DEF on this age of car (at least in UK spec anyway).

ryansonfire

Go Kart Newbie

Golf TDI 2013 59k miles.

Thanks

Tim
I just had the same issue with my 17. Open the hatch a see if you still have this drain intact like the picture (the black dot). Mine had worn away causing water to drain in my hatch.

Attachments

• PXL_20210219_193751387.jpg
    PXL_20210219_193751387.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 94

timarthur1983

Car(s)
golf mk 7 gt
Really appreciate your updates.

I posted in panic yesterday and after reading through the forums I see it's common in regards to the leakage and the vents being the problems or the drain pipe, so thanks.

As for the DPF, I was annoyed when I picked the car up it was completely empty, had 2 miles of range left. As soon as I filled up a full tank of premium diesel and drove away the attached came up.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20210219_151556.jpg
    20210219_151556.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 86

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Really appreciate your updates.

I posted in panic yesterday and after reading through the forums I see it's common in regards to the leakage and the vents being the problems or the drain pipe, so thanks.

As for the DPF, I was annoyed when I picked the car up it was completely empty, had 2 miles of range left. As soon as I filled up a full tank of premium diesel and drove away the attached came up.

Thanks in advance.
You may get lucky with a hard thrashing down a motorway in an attempt to clear the DPF out, but my sentiments remain the same as in my first post... this car has not been looked after at all.

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
The DPFs in our 2010 TDI Sportwagen (U.S.A.) each lasted about 75K Miles to 80K Miles, but their lives were probably lessened from short trips. The first one was covered by the emissions warranty and the other was hinting at a failure with an intermittent warning light at the time we turned it in to VW during the buyback program. As you are probably aware, replacement of these is crazy expensive, about $2,000 USD at the time. In the U.S.A., VW later provided an extended DPF warranty for owners who kept their TDIs. You may want to look into the prevailing situation with TDI warranties in Great Britain.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
You may want to look into the prevailing situation with TDI warranties in Great Britain.
No such thing over here unfortunately, and no sign that such a thing will exist in the coming years either.

The dieselgate scandal wasn't anywhere near as dramatic here as it was across the pond! :p

timarthur1983

Car(s)
golf mk 7 gt
As for the leakage, I checked the drain pipe after seeing some vids it looks okay to me. I think it will be the vent seals.

As for previous owner looking after it.
It has 5 vw stamps one every 10k, so I thought it all looked okay.

I will keep you posted following my motorway drive.

Cheers

Tim

Attachments

• 20210220_101120.jpg
    20210220_101120.jpg
    1,011.1 KB · Views: 82

timarthur1983

Car(s)
golf mk 7 gt
So I've been out for an hour on the M3, 70mph revs just over 2000, the DPF warning light has now stopped coming up and the diesel particle filter blocked (white symbol) no longer comes on dash intermittently.

So I'm hoping it's regenerated and cleared the filter.

As for the leak, I have had the back seats down whilst driving and I believe the water comes in via the back lights, as I can see slight daylight between the boot and lights. Will try and grab some photos tomorrow.

But I'm going to get my mechanic (not sure I trust the garage) to pop off the back bumper and seal and replace vents as most people have stated on various threads as the fix to the leaking boot.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
So I've been out for an hour on the M3, 70mph revs just over 2000, the DPF warning light has now stopped coming up and the diesel particle filter blocked (white symbol) no longer comes on dash intermittently.

So I'm hoping it's regenerated and cleared the filter.

As for the leak, I have had the back seats down whilst driving and I believe the water comes in via the back lights, as I can see slight daylight between the boot and lights. Will try and grab some photos tomorrow.

But I'm going to get my mechanic (not sure I trust the garage) to pop off the back bumper and seal and replace vents as most people have stated on various threads as the fix to the leaking boot.
Yes, light seals also perish. They are easily replaced.

If you've got Facebook, I would suggest joining the group VW Golf MK7 Owners UK as lots of people there have had similar issues to you, and there's some good posts on how to resolve various leaks.

Matt21385

Car(s)
Volkswagen Golf GTD
As for the leakage, I checked the drain pipe after seeing some vids it looks okay to me. I think it will be the vent seals.

As for previous owner looking after it.
It has 5 vw stamps one every 10k, so I thought it all looked okay.

I will keep you posted following my motorway drive.

Cheers

Tim
Tim,

Going by that pic of the boot drain, the end grommet has perished. You should have a rubber grommet on the outside of the hole.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Best to check and make sure you can see the tube end when looking into the drain hole. The part looks like this, and the issue tends to pop up when some part of the end seal rots away and allows the tube to drain into the hatch rather than out the hole:
1614592902280.png

PN

510827861A​