GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ihi is38 vs OEM is38

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
My trusted mechanic made an interesting claim about IHI vs OEM: He said he's had two or more IS38s supplied by customers that were branded by IHI. One was seized and another had shaft play. I think he noticed some inconsistencies in the casting on another. He said that the product boxes said something to the effect of "made for IHI under license," suggesting that IHI did not make those turbos but, instead, were subcontracted out-of-house. As a result, he prefers to just spend extra on a turbo from the dealer. I'm inclined to agree.

I wonder if the OEM turbos, also built by IHI, are made in-house and with tighter QC? Can anyone comment about the "made by" labeling that may or may not be on their shipping box? I'm not looking to toss stones at any resellers. Just curious to see anything that might support his claim.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
My trusted mechanic made an interesting claim about IHI vs OEM: He said he's had two or more IS38s supplied by customers that were branded by IHI. One was seized and another had shaft play. I think he noticed some inconsistencies in the casting on another. He said that the product boxes said something to the effect of "made for IHI under license," suggesting that IHI did not make those turbos but, instead, were subcontracted out-of-house. As a result, he prefers to just spend extra on a turbo from the dealer. I'm inclined to agree.

I wonder if the OEM turbos, also built by IHI, are made in-house and with tighter QC? Can anyone comment about the "made by" labeling that may or may not be on their shipping box? I'm not looking to toss stones at any resellers. Just curious to see anything that might support his claim.
I’ve seen that discussed here a few times. Only people that could properly answer that without speculating might have to be folks who have been able to compare directly

fcp does that life time thing. But I think folks would be better served with a is38+. The one with the stouter internals