GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

If you were to upgrade your turbo...

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
Which would you pick, and why?

I am a long way from doing this, but it’s inevitable that I will at some point later. I was quite spooked by the issues I had with frankenturbo after a while on my mk6, so I bought the CTS k04 kit, ported and polished it myself, and it was strong.

It was also an OEM turbo that was known to be pretty bulletproof. The is38 can obviously produce plenty of power, has easy OTS tunes and you can be set. There is is issue with the shafts snapping, thus it would make me wonder if an oem that was ported, polished, upgraded shaft, (hybrid) might be better, such as the lader hybrid?

Not a pissing contest like the DSG being better :p but seriously, which would each of you go with?

Last edited:

Jedimk7

Drag Race Newbie
Is38x for OEM plus benefits, still make great power and run OTS tunes like APR as well[emoji41][emoji106]

Sent from my Gavin Belson black box signature edition

Scala

Ready to race!
What's the rush?
The OP drives a 2019 Rabbit for which there are no tunes yet available. APR hasn't even completed the 2018 tunes yet!

I postponed my own 2019 and I'm waiting to see what may become available in the Mk8 before making a decision. We may get pleasantly surprised with a twin-scroll in the next GTI or at least in the R and get the benefit of OEM parts transplant.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I plan to go with a Littco L450, is38X would be a good fit if you’re wanting an OTS tune.

At this point I see no market for is38 as an “upgrade”. Too many known issues and better options for similar cost.

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Another vote for is38x from me.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
IS38x for me too. But latest info in that thread is LIttco isn't making any more anytime soon...

OEM plus features, and I'm already invested in unitronic tune's, so I'd be going with them for a conservative stage 2+

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
What's the rush?
The OP drives a 2019 Rabbit for which there are no tunes yet available. APR hasn't even completed the 2018 tunes yet!

I postponed my own 2019 and I'm waiting to see what may become available in the Mk8 before making a decision. We may get pleasantly surprised with a twin-scroll in the next GTI or at least in the R and get the benefit of OEM parts transplant.

Honestly, I didn’t think the tunes were even going to be much different from the previous 220 hp versions... I was under the impression I’d was just a little tweak in the current tune.

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
If I was replacing my stock IS20 I would be going for the EQT Vortex turbo. Its a fantastic value and im already running Cobb so I can custom tune it.

Obviously the downside to the EQT Vortex is you need a custom tune, something like Cobb, Maestro or similar.

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
I took a chance and picked up a used IS38 and did the install myself. If this fails I might look into an IS20 hybrid.

tknj99

Ready to race!
I went with the EQT Vortex. Installed it a couple of weeks ago and have been loving it ever since! It truely is a great product and Ed knows his shit along with great service.

Let me know if your ever in the Charlottesville area, would love to catch a ride to see what its like as a potential future upgrade path

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Let me know if your ever in the Charlottesville area, would love to catch a ride to see what its like as a potential future upgrade path

I'll be heading up to NoVA at the end of next month. Depending on what time I leave to head up there, I can take a little detour over to Charlottesville.