GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

If you had to give up your modded GTI, what OEM car would equal it's performance?

2SlowNoMo

Ready to race!
I think the GTI is a fantastic value for OEM performance, tuning capability, quality, DD fun. If you had to give up your GTI what other car and price range do you feel you would need to meet the same value, performance, etc?
For example I think my GTI with the bolt on mods I have make this car a performer that would cost close to 50k or so to replicate the performance and driving experience in a different brand OEM car. I am thinking maybe an Audi S3 or something.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
5.0, I think you can get a decently optioned one for mid $30's and the upgrade potential and aftermarket support is greater than the gti.

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
The 2015+ WRX, I honestly have no regrets, this car is slower but fun as shit.

thaseint

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI SE 6MT
I think the GTI is a fantastic value for OEM performance, tuning capability, quality, DD fun. If you had to give up your GTI what other car and price range do you feel you would need to meet the same value, performance, etc?
For example I think my GTI with the bolt on mods I have make this car a performer that would cost close to 50k or so to replicate the performance and driving experience in a different brand OEM car. I am thinking maybe an Audi S3 or something.

I've gotten out of the whole car modding thing, maybe OEM+ but no performance mods. So I guess my price range would be $28-35k. The GTI just happened to be a perfect fit for what I was wanting and was priced right.

For the last year or so I was dedicated to buying the new Civic Type R, no official word on MSRP other than mid-$30k. The problem is that it's going to be a somewhat limited release and that'll mean dealer markups to probably over $40k. If I could snag one at MSRP (let's say $35k) I would probably go for the Civic Type R. Looks aside (I actually don't mind them) the performance specs are nice and I've always been partial to Japanese cars.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
The 2015+ WRX, I honestly have no regrets, this car is slower but fun as shit.

I've always loved Subarus. If there was a WRX, or turbo legacy wagon available, I would have looked into them over my GSW. I do love my car, but wish it was awd with at least a 2.0. Also, for $25k, Subaru had nothing close to it.

2015WhiteGTI

Go Kart Champion
Without a doubt, 2017 Chevrolet Camaro 1LE.

The chassis and handling on this car is phenomenal right out of the box without any mods necessary. Plus, there's a 455HP N/A V8 under the hood and to top it all off, a manual gearbox. Not to mention the heads-up display, magnetic shocks, 20" wheels with very good rubber, Recaro seats, E-Diff, 4-wheel Brembo BBK all for $46K. That's a hard one to beat, considering it'll show a new M3/4 it's tail lights all day.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
I don't know. You can get a Mustang get with recaros and staggered 19" wheels for $35k. I'm sure you can spend a lot less than $11,000 to walk away from that Camaro.

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
I actually went backwards performance wise to the GTI. Traded FBO Cobra Jet stang and just sold a 15 c7 auto. It is not all about 1/4 times and trying to be a Billy badass. Someone will always be faster. I stopped driving my Vette after buying GTI. Fun to drive factor is worth more to me than outright numbers. I walked away from buying 900 whp Evo 9 last summer. JMO...

2015WhiteGTI

Go Kart Champion
I don't know. You can get a Mustang get with recaros and staggered 19" wheels for $35k. I'm sure you can spend a lot less than $11,000 to walk away from that Camaro.

You've missed the point a little bit. The 1LE will leave the Mustang for dead in the curves. It's more of a competitor to the GT350 rather than a standard Mustang.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Chevy SS, preferably in manual and regal green.
Maybe more like Golf R money

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
I've always loved Subarus. If there was a WRX, or turbo legacy wagon available, I would have looked into them over my GSW. I do love my car, but wish it was awd with at least a 2.0. Also, for $25k, Subaru had nothing close to it.

I paid 32k for my GTI at launch only to have it last 30k miles before the engine started bucking on shifts and VWoA telling me it was normal.

I only ended up paying 27k for the WRX with a shorter loan term and way better interest rate.

I'll probably blow the Subaru up, because thats what they do.

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
I paid 32k for my GTI at launch only to have it last 30k miles before the engine started bucking on shifts and VWoA telling me it was normal.

I only ended up paying 27k for the WRX with a shorter loan term and way better interest rate.

I'll probably blow the Subaru up, because thats what they do.

I was so close to getting a WRX over the GTI. VW gave me a better deal on the trade in. Hindsight 20/20, I made the right decision for me personally (MPG, power).

I would get an S3/TT or Cayman.

JVang

Ready to race!
Car(s)
19 Golf R
17 Camaro SS. Was my top choice and still my choice if the backseats weren't absolutely worthless.

2SlowNoMo

Ready to race!
I actually went backwards performance wise to the GTI. Traded FBO Cobra Jet stang and just sold a 15 c7 auto. It is not all about 1/4 times and trying to be a Billy badass. Someone will always be faster. I stopped driving my Vette after buying GTI. Fun to drive factor is worth more to me than outright numbers. I walked away from buying 900 whp Evo 9 last summer. JMO...

I was so close to getting a WRX over the GTI. VW gave me a better deal on the trade in. Hindsight 20/20, I made the right decision for me personally (MPG, power).

I would get an S3/TT or Cayman.

17 Camaro SS. Was my top choice and still my choice if the backseats weren't absolutely worthless.

These were some of my deciding factors as well. Fun to drive factor on the GTI is way up there. VW gave me a way better deal the Subaru was willing to do. and even though I really like the current offering of muscle cars, I needed four doors with useable back seats.

cbaumy34

Go Kart Champion
It's a stretch but Ftype Jag

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk