GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

If you had to give up your modded GTI, what OEM car would equal it's performance?

2SlowNoMo

Ready to race!

Deviation01

Go Kart Champion
I would say M235...yes in the 40k range but that would be it.

PS. maybe s3

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Now, to make the comparison fair, rule out RWD. For some of us, who live in the snowbelt, RWD for a daily driver is a non-starter. That V6 Camaro is a fabulous car, and I'd rather have that than one of the eights really, for the handling and weight, but there's no way I'm getting anything but FWD or AWD up here, unless it's a summer only car. And that I can't swing.

Once you rule out 'Tangs and Camaros, the field narrows considerably.

N10S

Ready to race!
The 2015+ WRX, I honestly have no regrets, this car is slower but fun as shit.

As a past WRX owner (2002 and 2011), 2005 Forester XT 5MT, and a current 2005 outback XT owner I can understand your comments as I have more fun driving my OBXT with 5spd than my GTI. The GTI is definitely a better handling and faster ride, just not as much fun to drive. Since purchasing the OBXT I have been seriously considering jumping back to a 2017 WRX Sti. They still hold their own pretty well and are price pointed pretty nicely. Other than that a BMW M2.

Last edited:

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
My 2002 WRX was a HOOT to drive. The interior was dreadful, and cheap, and it kind of felt like you were riding in a construction vehicle sometimes, but man, it was fun.

It's silly-ish, but one of the main things keeping me from every owning another is that up here, nearly 100% of WRX or STI drivers are 20-somethings with backwards-facing ball caps, wannabe try-too-hard facial hair, and a cigarette flicking ash out of the window at stop lights. Ain't no way I'm getting lumped in with them. And yes, I realize it's a gross generalization, and yes, I realize that I should not let what other people think color my decisions, yada yada yada, but really, one of the few things I have that other people see and judge me by is the car I drive, and, well, there you have it.

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
Well I'm an engineer and 30 so I don't fit in with them at all.

If my engine didn't take a shit I'd still have the GTI.

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion
2017 Camaro SS

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Well I'm an engineer and 30 so I don't fit in with them at all.

If my engine didn't take a shit I'd still have the GTI.

Don't get me wrong, the Subies are cool cars. My wife had a Forester when I had the WRX, and it may well be the only SUV I've actually not hated driving (her current Escape is solid but really boring to drive).

fatloserboi

Ready to race!
Ap2 s2k or a new miata and then I'd get like a Toyota Sienna Awd as my ppl mover.. Both are best at what they do... They just do very different things.. Lol

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion

Euro Tech

Ready to race!
I could build a Miata to destroy my GTI in every measurable way for about 1/3 the price of the GTI but to me it is the best total package so I'll stick to my GTI.

Floader

Passed Driver's Ed
Now, to make the comparison fair, rule out RWD. For some of us, who live in the snowbelt, RWD for a daily driver is a non-starter. That V6 Camaro is a fabulous car, and I'd rather have that than one of the eights really, for the handling and weight, but there's no way I'm getting anything but FWD or AWD up here, unless it's a summer only car. And that I can't swing.

Once you rule out 'Tangs and Camaros, the field narrows considerably.

I feel your pain............ sent from the land of the frost heaves

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
I feel your pain............ sent from the land of the frost heaves

Another Vermonter! Ain't our roads grand?

Coming up here from Atlanta 20 years ago, one of the things I noticed was the utter lack of performance cars beyond Subies and the very occasional non-vanilla Audi. In Hotlanta, every third car is some form of hot rod, wannabe racer, badass sportscar, Euro-stallion, or muscle car. The other two-thirds are generally trucks or bondo-clad econoboxes.

Not so much here (well the trucks and econoboxes are prevalent of course).