GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

If you go IS20 from an IS12, you also need...

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
What are some of the additional pieces to think about when going IS20 on a 1.8T? Obviously, a tune or a JB4, while not completely necessary to get the power out of the bigger turbo.

Turbo inlet pipe? Spark plugs? Intercooler?

What pieces are nice to add and what are pieces that, when hitting the HP numbers that an IS20 tune on a 1.8T will hit, are important to install?

Thx!

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
Just a freer flowing downpipe. I’d definitely at least get a jb4 or tune as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
Hey neighbor, looks like you already have a JB4 so a downpipe would be my next recommendation as well followed by an intercooler. Let me know if you need a hand!

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Just a freer flowing downpipe. I’d definitely at least get a jb4 or tune as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plus at the very least a dog bone insert for Fwd cars.

Intercooler if you want to maintain power for more than a half of one pull or above 70* ambient, one step colder plugs (I run RS7) if you do an aggressive enough tune to be roughly 100hp over stock.

Intake mods or an intake will help, but not drastically

Dedicated summer tires to get the power down and a clutch if you’re manual

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Plus at the very least a dog bone insert for Fwd cars.

Intercooler if you want to maintain power for more than a half of one pull or above 70* ambient, one step colder plugs (I run RS7) if you do an aggressive enough tune to be roughly 100hp over stock.

Intake mods or an intake will help, but not drastically

Dedicated summer tires to get the power down and a clutch if you’re manual
Pretty much this, I'd say the most important thing to do first would be the uprated spark plugs if you decide to go through with the an aggressive tune.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
I ran with literally nothing but the IS20, a tune (not even the correct one), and a JB4 for a long while and it was all I needed. I eventually had to replace the spark plugs, and on very hot days in the desert my IAT's will occasionally venture above 110 when pushing it (I'd prefer to keep them under 90).

So here's my list for stuff to pair with an IS20 swap:

Vital/inevitable:
tune (such as JB4)
spark plugs

Nice to have/will help with hp:
downpipe
intercooler
e85
methanol
injectors

Inevitable if you have all of the nice to have hp stuff:
Clutch
engine/trans/dogbone mounts
tires

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
So it sounds like plugs one step colder and obviously some kind of tune (which I currently have)... and then a downpipe which is already in the works...

I’d like to do the turbo inlet pipe if/when I have everything apart...

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Waste of money. Stock intake system can pass more air than the IS20 can suck in.

But,but,but....I can feel the difference!! LOL. I did one because my stock one broke when I was twisting it back on. Noticed nothing. maybe a little more noise

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Ah... well that’s good to know... I’ll take it off the list!

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
But,but,but....I can feel the difference!! LOL. I did one because my stock one broke when I was twisting it back on. Noticed nothing. maybe a little more noise

I picked one up when I first got the car.. Rookie mod, didn't notice anything. Noticed more with an AFE filter and airbox mod.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Run out of the box. They were all .26 anyway

Just realized this was a question for is20 folks.
Nevermind

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
I gapped my plugs to .024"