GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

If You Could Order Again, What Options or Car would you Choose?

rapport25

Go Kart Champion
I know, two completely different cars, before everyone shouts up.

I originally purchased my GTD as a long distance cruiser. Covering 20k +, seemed the sensible option, with a bit of fun as of when, i fancied it.

Now, I'm in a real dilemma, Do I get rid of the GTD & purchase a brand new Golf R?

A couple of reasons, no longer covering 20k plus per year. At this rate, will be lucky to break 7k in 12 mths.

I have been looking for a 911/ Audi RS4. As a w end toy. But when you do the maths, it makes more sense to get rid of the GTD & order a Golf R.

Also, I do miss the sound of my Dynaudio, and I hear you need to play around with the settings on the MK7 to get the best out of it.

After driving the X-Trail with heated seats at the w-end, not been a fan of a cold bum all this week.

Thought & suggestions, welcome.

Rappy.

James75

Go Kart Champion
I am completely happy with my GTD, I ignored the 'diesel hot hatch' stuff, researched the car and decided it suited my needs. As for options, no regrets but I'd probably order phone prep with the heated screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pjr

Ready to race!
I'd order the same again, with possibly only the addition of the reversing camera. If money was no object I'd probably also include the DCC adaptive suspension.

Happy with everything else though - Standard GTI with Discover Nav & Winter Pack.

dbeugel

Passed Driver's Ed
I would opt for the DSG box if I were to have another GTD. But will most likely opt for the Golf R next time.

dbeugel

Passed Driver's Ed
I am completely happy with my GTD, I ignored the 'diesel hot hatch' stuff, researched the car and decided it suited my needs. As for options, no regrets but I'd probably order phone prep with the heated screen.

Yup, in no way shape or form is the GTD a 'hot hatch' diesel. The ride is too soft and the front end is far too weighty.

James75

Go Kart Champion
It's certainly quick and it goes round the corners but I'd argue if you want a 'hot hatch', get the GTI. What the GTD is. Very quick, very refined and very capable. The torque is awesome

JCJ

Ready to race!
I'm really happy with all the options I have, but I would have had to wait another 6 months for phone prep and heated front screen so I did without.

If ordering again I would go for this and if possible heated steering wheel (which is only an option on GTE and Golf-E I think). Things I would like to have in the VW options list are heated rear seats to prevent rear seat passengers feeling deprived and electric opening closure of the tailgate. Why? Just because I like gadgets and all my friends have electric tailgates. Yes I know others will say it is pointless, but I would find it useful as I do with so many gadgets that we could do without, but just like to have.

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
I'm really happy with all the options I have, but I would have had to wait another 6 months for phone prep and heated front screen so I did without.

If ordering again I would go for this and if possible heated steering wheel (which is only an option on GTE and Golf-E I think). Things I would like to have in the VW options list are heated rear seats to prevent rear seat passengers feeling deprived and electric opening closure of the tailgate. Why? Just because I like gadgets and all my friends have electric tailgates. Yes I know others will say it is pointless, but I would find it useful as I do with so many gadgets that we could do without, but just like to have.

I'm content with my options too, I did order reverse camera but didn't get it on delivery. Not sure I would bother if I was ordering again.
Like you options I would like to see is similar to the mirrorlink and some use of data features for the satnav like traffic , safety cameras . Pre wired for dashcam. Removable door pocket bin. Cornering lights the same colour remperature as the bi xenons.

rapport25

Go Kart Champion
Interesting, hearing other guys thoughts.

Was filling up today & got chatting to a guy with a MK7 Golf R, in blue.

Ironically, he wishes he had gone with the GTD. He said the R is a license looser, and its hard to drive sensible. And I can tend to see that, having had a few superbikes and fast cars in the past.

He covers silly miles & has covered 20k in less than 6 mths. Not sure what map he is running, but he said its amazing to drive now, and shames a few so called performance cars.

I'm not 100% sure what to do, as I really do like the GTD. He suggests keeping the GTD & getting a remap.

He said he is getting 20-25 mpg. Based on that it will cost me twice as much to fill up.

rapport25

Go Kart Champion
What the GTD is. Very quick, very refined and very capable. The torque is awesome

I agree. The mid range shove of torque is great. Had a funny 4th gear pull away from a power crazed rep in a A4 up my bumper joining the motorway :D:D.

James75

Go Kart Champion
The GTD 4th gear pull away is fantastic. It is quite nose heavy, noticed that on some twisty bits today. There is nothing like the car up your rear or people being idiotic and dangerous on a motorway and having the ability to just get out of the way. I've noticed that if you have the car on a twisty road, drive it right and the torque is always there for fun. We should celebrate its 4th gear shove. The running costs of the GTD are so much cheaper. We are a one car family. The GTD gives me the feel of a GTI but without the cost. To me it's an acceptable compromise with lots of positives. The R is awesome and the latest car is a really really good car. If you get a chance get on YouTube and watch Chris Harris' video

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
Interesting, hearing other guys thoughts.

Was filling up today & got chatting to a guy with a MK7 Golf R, in blue.

Ironically, he wishes he had gone with the GTD. He said the R is a license looser, and its hard to drive sensible. And I can tend to see that, having had a few superbikes and fast cars in the past.

He covers silly miles & has covered 20k in less than 6 mths. Not sure what map he is running, but he said its amazing to drive now, and shames a few so called performance cars.

I'm not 100% sure what to do, as I really do like the GTD. He suggests keeping the GTD & getting a remap.

He said he is getting 20-25 mpg. Based on that it will cost me twice as much to fill up.

I don't get it? He can just be more frugal with the accelerator.
He already knows the car can do a quick 0-60, so why does he need to keep proving it?
20k in 6 months should be a lot of on the run driving, so he should be seeing greater returns on the MPG and still be ahead of the pack without trying.
At present my car is showing 80 miles range for the fuel in it. If I done a return 62 mile trip, it would still be showing 30-40 miles, he should be still getting 30-35 mpg on a run if not thrashing it and keeping his license and those around him safe.

JCJ

Ready to race!
I was talking to an R owner at the gym who felt that in terms of equipment levels value for money the R is not a great choice. He loves the handling and performance but feels there is more for your money in a GTi GTD.

James75

Go Kart Champion
Well it won't offer value - you don't buy cars like the R based on value for money, though you could argue that compared to other cars it offers quite good value for money. I mean even if you add a healthy dollop of options it's probably still a 38k car that's still going to be less than other 300bhp rivals. I am not sure for his needs he's bought the right car. This goes back to one of my original points. It's important to understand the car you are buying and why you are buying it

Last edited: