GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

If You Could Order Again, What Options or Car would you Choose?

James75

Go Kart Champion
I am averaging about 48, but considering that I am doing mostly motorway driving at the moment, I would have expected that to be higher. It seems that no matter how hard I try, I can't break 50 over the tank.

I don't know how you record your MPG, if I am honest, if I was doing most motorway miles I would expect something in the 50's.

I record each tank of fuel, I notice with the Golf they've moved away from the system where you have settings 1 and 2 on your DIS between the dials and you can look at MPG since start, since refuel, average etc.

James

rapport25

Go Kart Champion
I use an on-line calculator. Miles covered vs litres added. My best so far is 48.9. I was thinking mid 50's.

James, see my thread on this. Sometimes I see high 50's and low 60's on the display, but yet to break 50mpg when I do a true calc.

My 4x4 can achieve 40-42mpg.

James75

Go Kart Champion
Just from limited car experience - i would expect a car like the GTD to be around 48 - 50's on mixed driving overall - I am not saying you shouldn't expect more but i was kind of expecting what i am getting. I haven't done a long run yet and my engine is still hasn't loosened up though.

rapport25

Go Kart Champion
Torque for the GTD 280 lbs.ft an the GTI is 258 ills.ft - not a great deal of difference which is why it would be interesting to drive a GTI now. I guess it is the way the diesel delivers its power, which again, is why if I wanted a hot hatch, I would go for the petrol.

James

I think the Gti is around 1 sec quicker to 60. I guess the Gti will feel a bit more nimble and lighter in the corners.

James75

Go Kart Champion
X2 and the R :D.

Not long got back from an Italian tune up.:D Not once did I think this is not fun &;I need more power.

Mine has now broke 4000 miles and it such a different car from new. Wait till you break 1000 miles James :cool:

I am looking forward to that :) and ditto the R :)

pjr

Ready to race!
Torque for the GTD 280 lbs.ft an the GTI is 258 ills.ft - not a great deal of difference which is why it would be interesting to drive a GTI now. I guess it is the way the diesel delivers its power, which again, is why if I wanted a hot hatch, I would go for the petrol.

James

The current brochure on the VW website shows both the GTD & GTI as having 258 lbs.ft, although over different rev ranges.

It also shows the peak torque as starting at only 1500rpm for the GTI & 2500rpm for the GTD which looks the wrong way round, although the GTI does pick up quickly from almost any rpm, and can almost be driven like a diesel.

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
I don't know how you record your MPG, if I am honest, if I was doing most motorway miles I would expect something in the 50's.

I record each tank of fuel, I notice with the Golf they've moved away from the system where you have settings 1 and 2 on your DIS between the dials and you can look at MPG since start, since refuel, average etc.

James

The good thing with the computers in the current Golfs they are very close and appear to be pessimistic too, I had to take my Bro to Stroud in the summer, filled the car up, return journey car showed 39mpg, but brim to brim was actually nearly 42mpg.

As long as the fuel guage is not going down as quickly as the rev counter is going up, they should all give a decent return.

pjr

Ready to race!
I took the figures from the VW website

I see that now - the website has the 280/258 figures and the pdf brochure has them both at 258, with different rpms as well.

Wouldn't be the first time there's been mistakes in the brochure :D

pjr

Ready to race!
The good thing with the computers in the current Golfs they are very close and appear to be pessimistic too, I had to take my Bro to Stroud in the summer, filled the car up, return journey car showed 39mpg, but brim to brim was actually nearly 42mpg.

As long as the fuel guage is not going down as quickly as the rev counter is going up, they should all give a decent return.

My trip computer is never more than 0.1/0.2 mpg different to my Spritmonitor record, and improving all the time.

Because the trip computer is accurate, I feel I can trust what it returns for individual journeys as the truth.

jimma_uk

Ready to race!
I use an on-line calculator. Miles covered vs litres added. My best so far is 48.9. I was thinking mid 50's.

James, see my thread on this. Sometimes I see high 50's and low 60's on the display, but yet to break 50mpg when I do a true calc.

That's the same with me. I have seen a trip go over 62mpg, but still struggle with 50 on the tank. I normally find the Since Refuel display to be about 3mpg overstated.