GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

If you are or have been stage 2 ...

virpacalis

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'17 R DSG
do you regret not being stage 1? Why or why not?

I'm stock and fewer than 100 miles away from being out of warranty. I like quick reliability. Please advise.

Last edited:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Stage 1 is the best bang for your buck by far (provided you don’t care to keep your warranty).

With that said I’ve never regretted moving on to stage 2, nor have I heard of anyone who has.

With the exception of people who cheap out and buy inferior hardware causing issues.

virpacalis

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'17 R DSG
Thanks for your credible reply. As an aside, my stage 2 hardware would only be a Unitronic intercooler and an AWE resonated downpipe. Of course, there are other good ways of doing this.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Thanks for your credible reply. As an aside, my stage 2 hardware would only be a Unitronic intercooler and an AWE resonated downpipe. Of course, there are other good ways of doing this.

That really wouldn't constitute a stage 2 update.

virpacalis

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'17 R DSG
?

virpacalis

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'17 R DSG
ECU and TCU tunes will match the hardware.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
I didn't bother with stage 1. I went from FBO to stage 2 and then to a BT setup. Why even bother with stage 1 if your end goal is to have a stage 2 car? I say just skip stage 1 and save up for stage 2.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Agree with JerseyDrew.

I went from stock to Stage 2 in my 2015 GTI through Eurodyne. After riding in a 2015 GTI, but Stage 1 Eurodyne , it felt very similar sans I had a stronger top end. Had I gone Stage 1 first then 2, I would've felt disappointed.

Last edited:

virpacalis

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'17 R DSG
Thank you all for the replies. Hoping it'll be worth it, I'm going stage 2. (By the way, my stage 3 WRX and stage 2 STI both went 1OOK+ miles trouble free and passing NJ emissions tests.)

virpacalis

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'17 R DSG
Leading Edge Autosport (West Chester, PA), a Unitronic's authorized shop, is most outstanding in terms of its expertise, customer service, and value. It's the real deal. Thanks to them, I'm loving my stage 2 R.

2019 pre stage 2 pic a.jpg

2019 pre stage 2 pic b.jpg

new exhaust installed a.jpg

virpacalis

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'17 R DSG
Deeper, but surprisingly subdued. Due to heavy traffic and wet roads -- I've only had it modified for one day -- almost all my driving so far has been at partial throttle. Can't wait to let it rip.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
I went from stock straight to stage 2. I knew my warranty was done as soon as I went to stage 2. Need a clutch or a DSG tune to take full use of the tune however. Had all that covered prior to the tune ?

Funny thing is I have had zero problem with the engine and transmission. My infotainment system just started to flake the heck out so I am currently at the dealership getting that taken care of ?

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
I initially regretted going Stage 2 due to downpipe drone. I sold the downpipe and tried a downpipe that had a large inline resonator (ultimate racing) that also allowed me to keep the factory resonator, problem solved.