GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IE v2 Intercooler with CSF radiator fitment

chuncomunco

Passed Driver's Ed
Has anyone tried installing an IE v2 intercooler with CSF radiator?

Just wondering since the IE grew from 57mm to 70mm core thickness on the v2.

I know the IE v1 fits with CSF radiator.

Thanks in advanced.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Nice catch. Thank you sir.

Looks like i'm better off sticking with the stock rad.

If you’re not using the car for track duty OEM is fine, and if you are tracking the car and making more than stock power the CSF isn’t really up to the task anyway so that’s likely your best bet to just do the IC upgrade

neogeo

Go Kart Newbie
I’ve seen reports the V1 didn’t fit, even though CSF claims it was tested with one.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/2017-gti-pp-at-vir.351754/page-54#post-7406654

I’m running both the CSF radiator and the IE V1 intercooler. It fits perfectly fine, but there is not much wiggle room left.

Not sure I understand the logic behind not doing the upgrade, if you’re tracking and making more than stock power. I’d rather have the CSF radiator, under said conditions, over the stock radiator.

I can’t speak to the fitment with the IE V2 intercooler.

I have not considered upgrading to V2 as I don’t know much about it.

Last edited:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I’m running both the CSF radiator and the IE V1 intercooler. It fits perfectly fine, but there is not much wiggle room left.

Not sure I understand the logic behind not doing the upgrade, if you’re tracking and making more than stock power. I’d rather have the CSF radiator, under said conditions, over the stock radiator.

I can’t speak to the fitment with the IE V2 intercooler.

I have not considered upgrading to V2 as I don’t know much about it.

Don’t shoot the messenger, Mini7 is local to me and if you read the link he shows why the V1/CSF didn’t work for him.

I never recommend buying parts that aren’t up to the task they’re suppose to be designed for. No sense in spending the time and money just to still have to pedal the car.

I’m working on an actual solution, since I won’t settle for just marginally better.

neogeo

Go Kart Newbie
Don’t shoot the messenger, Mini7 is local to me and if you read the link he shows why the V1/CSF didn’t work for him.

I never recommend buying parts that aren’t up to the task they’re suppose to be designed for. No sense in spending the time and money just to still have to pedal the car.

I’m working on an actual solution, since I won’t settle for just marginally better.

I wasn’t intending to shoot anyone. I just wanted to let the OP know that the combination does fit as advertised, if installed correctly.

As I mentioned in my post I would feel more comfortable running this solution than the alternative, which is stock. I’m not aware of any published data that shows the CSF radiator is only as effective as the stock one, on a vehicle equipped with a an upgraded power set up. If there is such, credible and verifiable data, I stand corrected.

neogeo

Go Kart Newbie
I wasn’t intending to shoot anyone. I just wanted to let the OP know that the combination does fit as advertised, if installed correctly.

As I mentioned in my post I would feel more comfortable running this solution than the alternative, which is stock. I’m not aware of any published data that shows the CSF radiator is only as effective as the stock one, on a vehicle equipped with a an upgraded power set up. If there is such, credible and verifiable data, I stand corrected.

I should note the my car is a GTI. Not sure if there is an salient difference in the room available in the GTI vs the R.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion

There’s very little out there on them, but the only information I’ve been able to find is that it’s only marginally better and overheating is still an issue even with the upgraded aux rad as well. All of this information I’ve found is on the FB pages, haven’t seen any here.

The R has dual fans while the Gti has just one, as well as different coolant hose routing so it’s very likely that it had better clearance on your R than Mini7 Gti.

My proposed solution utilizes a 3” thick core vs CSF is 42mm or approximately 1.65”.

neogeo

Go Kart Newbie
There’s very little out there on them, but the only information I’ve been able to find is that it’s only marginally better and overheating is still an issue even with the upgraded aux rad as well. All of this information I’ve found is on the FB pages, haven’t seen any here.

The R has dual fans while the Gti has just one, as well as different coolant hose routing so it’s very likely that it had better clearance on your R than Mini7 Gti.

My proposed solution utilizes a 3” thick core vs CSF is 42mm or approximately 1.65”.

Csf has some published data on their website pertaining to a 500hp Golf R.

There may be more to their technology than core thickness alone, i.e. cooling fin / tube design, flow, number of passes, air flow etc.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Csf has some published data on their website pertaining to a 500hp Golf R.

There may be more to their technology than core thickness alone, i.e. cooling fin / tube design, flow, number of passes, air flow etc.

Only thing that makes a tangible difference in air-water closed loop cooling (in this order) is frontal area, fin density(correct selection for thickness), water flow (mostly pump based), thickness

Tube design and passes will not yield any improvement.

I haven't looked at the stock rad in our car closely but I would be happy to help evaluate upgrade options...

neogeo

Go Kart Newbie
Only thing that makes a tangible difference in air-water closed loop cooling (in this order) is frontal area, fin density(correct selection for thickness), water flow (mostly pump based), thickness

Tube design and passes will not yield any improvement.

I haven't looked at the stock rad in our car closely but I would be happy to help evaluate upgrade options...
I thought tube shape yielded different thermal performance. I.e. I thought the heat transfer performance of an elliptical tube was better than that of a circular tube and the heat transfer performance of a rectangular tube was better than that of a square tube. My thoughts are based on research completed for shell and tube heat exchangers. Perhaps this is not applicable to a air to water heat exchanger. I am not an expert is this area.

I believe fin design / shape also affects thermal performance. Eg. I think someone has shown that dimpled fins have higher heat transfer.

Last edited:

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
I thought tube shape yielded different thermal performance. I.e. I thought the heat transfer performance of an elliptical tube was better than that of a circular tube and the heat transfer performance of a rectangular tube was better than that of a square tube. My thoughts are based on research completed for shell and tube heat exchangers. Perhaps this is not applicable to a air to water heat exchanger. I am not an expert is this area.

I believe fin design / shape also affects thermal performance. Eg. I think someone has shown that dimpled fins have higher heat transfer.

Yeah but all air-water radiators have flat tubes, that's not a differentiation between rads.

The fin design can provide very marginal increases, but the density coupled with the flow levels are the most important consideration.

neogeo

Go Kart Newbie
Back on topic...sorry for the digression... I am happy with the CSF purchase I’ve made. For my particular application it has been effective over the stock unit.