Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S

ShadyMF

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI IS38 6MT
i have heard both sides to this. if I'm going with a Cobb EQT stage 2 tune do I have to start with the intercooler? i have heard both yes and no. Many people say that the intercooler is a priority if you go is38 but not if you stick with a regular is20 stage 2 from like EQT or Sneaky. Im trying to figure out what to believe because $ doesn't grow on trees (at least for me it doesn't) and having to decide which one to fork up the $ for is tough. I want the power of the tune but I don't want to damage the engine... both items I've estimated are about 100-1400 each (tune or intercooler) and I'm looking at the Integrated engineering intercooler+ charge pipe setup.

Not going to do any damage without the intercooler. You will just run into heatsoak more quickly and on a really hot day the stock just can't seem to really keep up.

Having personally waited forever to install my IC, the difference is noticeable on hot days/when playing around, but you can rock a stage 2 tune and enjoy the benefits of it without doing the IC right now :)

Just my 2 cents.

Edit: Charge pipes are a waste, wait until they break/rip or you just can't figure out what to throw away money on and have done everything else in your life you want to.

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
Not going to do any damage without the intercooler. You will just run into heatsoak more quickly and on a really hot day the stock just can't seem to really keep up.

Having personally waited forever to install my IC, the difference is noticeable on hot days/when playing around, but you can rock a stage 2 tune and enjoy the benefits of it without doing the IC right now :)

Just my 2 cents.

Edit: Charge pipes are a waste, wait until they break/rip or you just can't figure out what to throw away money on and have done everything else in your life you want to.
thank you for the advice. That's what I'm thinking. plus I live in the northeast where from late September to late April it's below 65F and I don't track the thing and I don't street race it either (the road quality is garbage and I can't afford a ticket/issues) so to me I've felt an intercooler wasn't the end all be all. now once I go is38 and go for real power that's a different story. I'm just looking for spirated driving in a car that has "more power than what I can reasonably use".

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
thank you. now I need to find someone selling a good IC (Hopefully IE or CTS or Unitronic)

I went with one similar to https://www.ebay.com/itm/192910256056 -- it's a "twintercooler" style, and IATs are good. Easier install than a replacement sandwich-mount/OEM style, but depending on if you have a front radar sensor in your bumper grille you may not be able to utilize this style.

People seem to like the Majesty/Magic ones as a cheap alternative. I'm on stock software with the intent of flashing in the future, but the intercooler helps dramatically with keeping IATs down even in the hot summer months.

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
Im EQT stage 1 tuned using the Cobb AP. It’s not as complicated as it may seem. I was new to flash tunes as well but if you can follow simple directions you’ll be fine.
I Also have GTIJake’s (Baun Performance) FMIC. It made a noticeable difference and if I decide to sell the car down the road, parting out will be easier.
45F2170F-5576-4476-9E79-8B628BD3A548.jpeg

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
IC is a must if you want repeatable power or if you track the car. If you do one bonsai pull on the highway and that satisfies your needs you can do without it.

I run a majesty IC and it helped tremendously with my track times because the stock Intercooler would heat soak after 3 pulls around the circuit.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
i have heard both sides to this. if I'm going with a Cobb EQT stage 2 tune do I have to start with the intercooler? i have heard both yes and no. Many people say that the intercooler is a priority if you go is38 but not if you stick with a regular is20 stage 2 from like EQT or Sneaky. Im trying to figure out what to believe because $ doesn't grow on trees (at least for me it doesn't) and having to decide which one to fork up the $ for is tough. I want the power of the tune but I don't want to damage the engine... both items I've estimated are about 100-1400 each (tune or intercooler) and I'm looking at the Integrated engineering intercooler+ charge pipe setup.
You're smart to get an IC if you're only stock or tuned.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
There are other brands of intercoolers to look for besides the ones you listed. Wagner, BMS and do88 to name a few. I snagged a used BMS direct replacement on here, maybe the Vortex can’t recall, for $300. It’s in near perfect shape. Keep looking. If you’re not on the Vortex, they have a really active classifieds section. They have new member restrictions to access them though.

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
There are other brands of intercoolers to look for besides the ones you listed. Wagner, BMS and do88 to name a few. I snagged a used BMS direct replacement on here, maybe the Vortex can’t recall, for $300. It’s in near perfect shape. Keep looking. If you’re not on the Vortex, they have a really active classifieds section. They have new member restrictions to access them though.
yeah I've been basing my ic hunt off of this post --> http://mygolfmk7.com/mk7-gti-intercooler-test/
id love to snag a do88, fantastic ic