GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IE TrueFlex for MK7 GTI | Easy ethanol -flashing now!

Tyler@IE

Go Kart Newbie
You guys planning to look at the garrets (Smaller one anyways) for the GTI as well?.... ;)
Yes, absolutely! If we are indeed happy with that turbo and it performs the way we want then it will be released for all MQB 2.0T (starting with R/S3 then GTI/A3).

Tyler@IE

Go Kart Newbie
New TrueFlex option: for all you 15-18 MK7/MQB GTI/A3 2.0T owners, IE is now offering a TrueFlex IS38 Stock Downpipe file. This tune utilizes an IS38 R/S3 turbo, IE TrueFlex harness, and IE TrueFlex ECU calibration for up to 50 horsepower over stage 2 power levels -without changing the factory catalytic converter! This new file is now an included option with IS38 upgrade tune purchases at no additional cost. https://bit.ly/3uSXm2Y

This is a great option for those on Stage 1 or who want more than Stage 1 power but want/need to retain all factory emissions. This will deliver 50HP more than Stage 2 while staying with the stock downpipe and the ability to run 91 octane to E85 or anything in the middle. Think of this as building your own Flex-fuel GTI TCR!

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
What about if you have an aftermarket downpipe? Also, what is expected hp with IS38, E85 fuel, and this tune?

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
So doing the math, the turbo, the tune, the HPFP, the de-tune from UNitronic, and I'm at $2600 to net 70hp and 50 tq. I lose pop and bags, and there is no flat foot shift.

Tyler@IE

Go Kart Newbie
So doing the math, the turbo, the tune, the HPFP, the de-tune from UNitronic, and I'm at $2600 to net 70hp and 50 tq. I lose pop and bags, and there is no flat foot shift.
Pops and bangs are available, and you gain the ability to run 91 octane up to E85 or anything in between all on one tune. If you have access to ethanol, it's rad. We do offer a switching discount of 10% off if you have proof of purchase of your original tune.

Tyler@IE

Go Kart Newbie
What about if you have an aftermarket downpipe? Also, what is expected hp with IS38, E85 fuel, and this tune?
If you have an aftermarket downpipe, then you run the full IS38 TrueFlex tune, not this stock downpipe option. Refer back to the first page of this post for info on that tune.

Tyler@IE

Go Kart Newbie
Any idea what the power output would be running a high ethanol content with OEM IS20?, say E65-70 blend ? I saw your Stage 2 posted numbers, but Im already at that power level.
Stage 2 93 AKI / 98 RON327 HP399 FT-LBS
Numbers for Stage 2 IS20 TrueFlex are coming soon!

EpidemiC

Will we need to run higher than the OEM 2bar MAP sensor to be safe? Regardless if it’s on the Stage 2 or the IS38 tune? I know on certain high output tunes with a hpfp the 2bar sensor cannot handle the fuel load and you can run lead.

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Will we need to run higher than the OEM 2bar MAP sensor to be safe? Regardless if it’s on the Stage 2 or the IS38 tune? I know on certain high output tunes with a hpfp the 2bar sensor cannot handle the fuel load and you can run lead.
I run a hybrid turbo with 416 HP with the OEM MAP sensor and HPFP without any problems.

jawndropper

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Anyone here running this tune yet? Despite the lack of E in my area, I am really tempted to buy this kit and make the switch from APR stage 3 93. Ive been itching for more since the day it was installed. Very interested to see how much is gained from E.

Doesn't look like I’d be losing much on the 91 baseline of the Flextune while im in my local area, Then whenever I feel like driving 30 minutes for E, I could get nearly an extra 100ft/lbs of torque.

A bit worried this would be the end of my car being a reliable daily though.

Does anyone have a vid of a pump gas oem is38 vs a E85 oem IS38?

Last edited:

Tyler@IE

Go Kart Newbie
No, the factory IS38 doesn't make enough boost to exceed the factory MAP sensor. No upgrade is required there. Stage 2 hardware, HPFP, and TrueFlex harness is the required hardware. GTI Stage 1 and 2 is almost done now.

Brian_

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 R
Anyone out there been running this for the last month? Assuming more user reviews will be coming once the IS20 files are released.
Been waiting on Cobb flex support to toss my warranty and tune, but at home flashing a flex tune this year when R/S3 tunes are done instead of some undetermined time in the future is definitely making me not want to wait on Cobb.

ShadyMF

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI IS38 6MT
Anyone out there been running this for the last month? Assuming more user reviews will be coming once the IS20 files are released.
Been waiting on Cobb flex support to toss my warranty and tune, but at home flashing a flex tune this year when R/S3 tunes are done instead of some undetermined time in the future is definitely making me not want to wait on Cobb.

For what its worth, im not on their flex kit yet (MY 2021 not supported yet), but I've been extremely happy since switching to their IS38 tune and plan on going flex as soon as its available.

From my experience after having gone through multiple tuners, I honestly think from a drivability standpoint IE's is one of the best for a non custom tune. There has never been a moment where I felt like I was driving a tuned car, and what I mean by that is, While all the OTS tunes you can grab are great, I had little things with most of them that would bother me (The way boost would come on, how sensitive the throttle is, small little hiccups in certain conditions with part throttle/normal driving).

I dont think you'd be disappointed switching unless you had aspirations for big hybrid custom tuned setups.

Brian_

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 R
For what its worth, im not on their flex kit yet (MY 2021 not supported yet), but I've been extremely happy since switching to their IS38 tune and plan on going flex as soon as its available.

From my experience after having gone through multiple tuners, I honestly think from a drivability standpoint IE's is one of the best for a non custom tune. There has never been a moment where I felt like I was driving a tuned car, and what I mean by that is, While all the OTS tunes you can grab are great, I had little things with most of them that would bother me (The way boost would come on, how sensitive the throttle is, small little hiccups in certain conditions with part throttle/normal driving).

I dont think you'd be disappointed switching unless you had aspirations for big hybrid custom tuned setups.
Thankfully don't have to worry about sunk costs with switching tuning platforms since I'm still stock/untuned. No big power/big turbo aspirations for now, already told myself if that bug starts biting I just need to get a separate project car with a proven formula for 700+ hp. Definitely not trying to blaze trails.