GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IE TrueFlex for MK7 GTI | Easy ethanol -flashing now!

Tyler@IE

Go Kart Newbie
Tyler, are there plans to extend this coverage into any BT applications with MPI?

We are working on support for the new Garret turbos right now, those files will be beyond the fuel systems ability to run TrueFlex on simple fueling upgrades and I would imagine MPI would likely be required. We will see when we get to that point.

Tyler@IE

Go Kart Newbie
Does this mean you can put 91 or 93 in to the tank and it will adjust timing for properly? Does this adjust boost also? I'm interested.
Yes, you can run 91, 93, E30, E40, E70, E85, E42, E29.7593854739 and the ECU will adjust in real-time as the fuel content exits the flex-fuel sensor. All maps, including boost and timing, adjust for the maximum power output in real-time as well, yes.

Tyler@IE

Go Kart Newbie
Any idea what the power output would be running a high ethanol content with OEM IS20?, say E65-70 blend ? I saw your Stage 2 posted numbers, but Im already at that power level.
Stage 2 93 AKI / 98 RON327 HP399 FT-LBS
Stage 2 TrueFlex numbers have not been finalized, announced, or published as of yet. That tune and numbers are coming within the next weeks.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Yes, you can run 91, 93, E30, E40, E70, E85, E42, E29.7593854739 and the ECU will adjust in real-time as the fuel content exits the flex-fuel sensor. All maps, including boost and timing, adjust for the maximum power output in real-time as well, yes.

So there is an ethanol content difference between 91 and 93 octane? I didn't know that. What's the ethanol difference between 91 and 93?

ShadyMF

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI IS38 6MT
So there is an ethanol content difference between 91 and 93 octane? I didn't know that. What's the ethanol difference between 91 and 93?

Flex fuel sensors don't actually read the ethanol content, it reads the gasoline content and subtracts based on that. If you had water in the tank for example. that would affect the reading.

I do think Tyler's statement is slightly misleading though ( I may very well be incorrect here as well) , I do not think it can adjust based on the Octane itself. Your base "Pump" tune would need to be whatever is available to run (91.93) but past that any E content can be used.

This was my experience in the past with flex fuel tuning.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Flex fuel sensors don't actually read the ethanol content, it reads the gasoline content and subtracts based on that. If you had water in the tank for example. that would affect the reading.

I do think Tyler's statement is slightly misleading though ( I may very well be incorrect here as well) , I do not think it can adjust based on the Octane itself. Your base "Pump" tune would need to be whatever is available to run (91.93) but past that any E content can be used.

This was my experience in the past with flex fuel tuning.

Interesting. It sounds like Tyler's statement is misleading or incorrect? Maybe IE has a special setup?

Striker23

Go Kart Newbie
Kudos to IE for getting this done! I’m too far down the rabbit hole with EQT at this point to change but them getting this done pretty much proves to me that COBB don’t give AF about flex fuel for our cars. The “they’re working on it” explanation is growing tiresome.

Brian_

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 R
Interesting. It sounds like Tyler's statement is misleading or incorrect? Maybe IE has a special setup?
Pretty sure it just means the map is for 91-thru-E85. Major selling point for a flex map is convenience so makes sense to have a map you can drive nationwide instead of switching between 91/93 maps on roadtrips for the small power gain between 91/93.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Pretty sure it just means the map is for 91-thru-E85. Major selling point for a flex map is convenience so makes sense to have a map you can drive nationwide instead of switching between 91/93 maps on roadtrips for the small power gain between 91/93.

So it's a 91 octane pump tune with flex fuel. That makes a lot more sense.

Tyler@IE

Go Kart Newbie
So it's a 91 octane pump tune with flex fuel. That makes a lot more sense.
Yes, to expand on that this is a performance-based ethanol tune that allows down to full pump octane. Depending on states, 91 or 93 may be all that's available (for example here in SLC, our highest pump octane is 91). We advertise that you can run 91/93 plus ethanol or up to full E85 and it adjusts automatically. On full pump gas with no additional ethanol added the tune starts at the performance of our 91 octane map for your stage then adds performance based on the ethanol content being read from the sensor as ethanol percentage is added from there. If you're not adding ethanol and you intend to just run on 93, then this wouldn't make sense for you and I would suggest you just run our 93 octane map. If you have 91 or 93 octanes available and ethanol (lucky!), then use the less expensive 91 and add ethanol from there (if blending to a goal percentage). In short, this is an ethanol-based product for taking advantage of ethanol. If your plan is to use it for easy switching between 91 and 93 -this is not for that. It will cover 91 or 93 when needed or blending, but as a base with no ethanol content there won't be much of a power difference between straight 91 or 93, you can run either safely or any mix up to E85.

ShadyMF

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI IS38 6MT
Yes, to expand on that this is a performance-based ethanol tune that allows down to full pump octane. Depending on states, 91 or 93 may be all that's available (for example here in SLC, our highest pump octane is 91). We advertise that you can run 91/93 plus ethanol or up to full E85 and it adjusts automatically. On full pump gas with no additional ethanol added the tune starts at the performance of our 91 octane map for your stage then adds performance based on the ethanol content being read from the sensor as ethanol percentage is added from there. If you're not adding ethanol and you intend to just run on 93, then this wouldn't make sense for you and I would suggest you just run our 93 octane map. If you have 91 or 93 octanes available and ethanol (lucky!), then use the less expensive 91 and add ethanol from there (if blending to a goal percentage). In short, this is an ethanol-based product for taking advantage of ethanol. If your plan is to use it for easy switching between 91 and 93 -this is not for that. It will cover 91 or 93 when needed or blending, but as a base with no ethanol content there won't be much of a power difference between straight 91 or 93, you can run either safely or any mix up to E85.

Appreciate the clarification.

Tyler@IE

Go Kart Newbie
Any idea on when the R tune will be released and the numbers for it?
We are pretty much releasing TrueFlex one Stage at a time. Power numbers/dynos will be released at the same time. It takes changing hardware and development for each setup across all the box codes, so it's time-consuming for sure. This is our current road map for release:

-2015-2018 GTI/A3 W/IS38: LAUNCHED
-2015-2018 GTI/A3 Stage 1 & 2
-2015-2018 R/S3 Stage 1 & 2
-2019+ GTI/A3 W/IS38
-2019+ GTI/A3 Stage 1 & 2
-2019+ R/S3 Stage 1 & 2

We are pushing hard to have that all done by the end of the year, I'd love to see all MQB 2.0T apps on TrueFlex corn juice by Christmas.

If you're curious about how we came up with this roadmap, it comes down to our most popular existing customer base and juggling with current platforms. Hitting GTI first because we are currently doing big turbo (Garrett) development on the R/S3 as well.

ShadyMF

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI IS38 6MT
We are pretty much releasing TrueFlex one Stage at a time. Power numbers/dynos will be released at the same time. It takes changing hardware and development for each setup across all the box codes, so it's time-consuming for sure. This is our current road map for release:

-2015-2018 GTI/A3 W/IS38: LAUNCHED
-2015-2018 GTI/A3 Stage 1 & 2
-2015-2018 R/S3 Stage 1 & 2
-2019+ GTI/A3 W/IS38
-2019+ GTI/A3 Stage 1 & 2
-2019+ R/S3 Stage 1 & 2

We are pushing hard to have that all done by the end of the year, I'd love to see all MQB 2.0T apps on TrueFlex corn juice by Christmas.

If you're curious about how we came up with this roadmap, it comes down to our most popular existing customer base and juggling with current platforms. Hitting GTI first because we are currently doing big turbo (Garrett) development on the R/S3 as well.

You guys planning to look at the garrets (Smaller one anyways) for the GTI as well?.... ;)