GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IE TrueFlex for MK7 GTI | Easy ethanol -flashing now!

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I was commenting directly to the comment I quoted.

Not fully sure what you’re talking about with what they are showing and benefiting the end user cause I wasn’t really going through those numbers . But as a full picture of ethanol tuning… e60/70 is going to yield the same power VS “full e85” as you are pretty much hitting MBT at e60 on this platform.

Which is why they should show E60/70 numbers with higher boost levels so the power is actually there. I'm not here to help them sell anything, the information they put up is just silly sometimes. Like how their tunes are the only ones that work at altitude.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
If anything they might be lowering boost past e50/60 to make sure there's more fueling headroom. It's what I'd do on a stock fuel system.
That's the only logical reasoning here. But we have no idea what the IS38 tune makes on E60 and "normal" boost levels.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Which is why they should show E60/70 numbers with higher boost levels so the power is actually there. I'm not here to help them sell anything, the information they put up is just silly sometimes. Like how their tunes are the only ones that work at altitude.
Ah I understand where you’re coming from now, I should have read tyler at IEs response. My apologies

But now that just has me asking the silly question - so IE has designed a flex tune to run full e85 on a is38 but did it for a stock lpfp? So the end user would be getting a tune that pulls power (boost only as the assumption that max timing was hit by e60) when they are running a more potent tank of ethanol…?

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Ah I understand where you’re coming from now, I should have read tyler at IEs response. My apologies

But now that just has me asking the silly question - so IE has designed a flex tune to run full e85 on a is38 but did it for a stock lpfp? So the end user would be getting a tune that pulls power (boost only as the assumption that max timing was hit by e60) when they are running a more potent tank of ethanol…?
That's the only reasonable thing to do though, unless they want to sell a LPFP kit and market their tune to people using that specific pump.

What's really crazy is they plan on selling a OTS tune for the garrett stage 1, which would be even more nerfed compared to using the proper fuel upgrades and a custom tune from another company.

FB-GTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
VW GTI -> Golf R
This is definitely not the case. The HPFP will become a problem before the LPFP does.
Are you saying the stock LPFP won't have any problem supporting the upgraded HPFP on an ethanol mix?

IE identifies the HPFP as a required upgrade to use the Flex tune with ethanol. My assumption was their dyno numbers are based on using an upgraded HPFP and stock LPFP.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Are you saying the stock LPFP won't have any problem supporting the upgraded HPFP on an ethanol mix?

IE identifies the HPFP as a required upgrade to use the Flex tune with ethanol. My assumption was their dyno numbers are based on using an upgraded HPFP and stock LPFP.
You can max out the stock turbo with an ethanol mix. If you used as much ethanol as you can get, it's possible to run enough boost so that flowing enough fuel to match would run out of duty cycle on the low pressure end. Hence they likely scale back boost if you add an ethanol mixture much higher than MBT (usually e50-e60ish). To hit those numbers you probably have to mix in some pump gas to let your LPFP keep up.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT

Really depends on the tune. Air+Fuel+Timing is what makes power. Without getting too complicated, there are lambda tables that need to be met for the amount of air being pushed in to the engine. If you're moving enough air to overwhelm your fuel system, you can command less air so you can reduce the fuel demand, or you can change the lambda requirement for the fuel you're on.

There is NO MAGIC to this.

Tyler@IE

Go Kart Newbie
Yeah, ZuMBLe is pretty much hitting the nail on the head here (except saying we think our tunes are the only ones that work at altitude, that is obviously not true. We advertise that we do a TON of multi-altitude testing on all our OTS files and the only ones using an actual sea level generator that we in-house developed instead of relying on sea level corrections). Our TrueFlex calibrations are offering the ability to run 91 octanes all the way up to full E85 and will automatically adjust performance maps for the ethanol percentage. These are still direct injection engines with direct injection limitations, on the IS38 you're seeing power limited as it's at the limit of the HFPP, so the TrueFlex adaptation is pulling back as the HPFP tops out on higher ethanol percentage -as it should and is advertised to do (adjust all power/safety maps for ethanol percentage). An LPFP could help increase the window of pressure the HPFP could supply, but the real next step would be LPFP + MPI to further increase the ceiling of fuel delivery on larger turbos. As of right now, we have released TrueFlex required with HPFP for all stages as the easiest and safest way to run ethanol. As we continue to push the potential of this system and move into the release of Garrett GT2260S support then if/whenLPFP & MPI becomes a supported upgrade it will be a free software update as always.

The big thing to notice when comparing the dynos is not just the peak power, but the larger boost profile from the larger IS38 makes more power up high and longer with a smaller drop-off with the only hardware change from Stage 2 IS20 to IS38 TrueFlex being the turbo. Don't get too caught up on just dyno graphs and dyno peak numbers, the quarter-mile difference between the two is going to be there as the powerband is just overall much better on the IS38 and holds out much longer where the IS20 drops off boost.

Peylix

Passed Driver's Ed
The only thing holding me back from buying this kit is no LPFP support.

Usually the IS38 needs both HPFP & LPFP (or MPI & LPFP) to really utilize e mixtures above E30.

Though some tuners like yourself and a few others have recently released HPFP only "full E85" tunes. Which I get since it allows folks to not have to worry about mixing and can just toss a full tank of E in. But you leave power on the table.

It would be nice to hit 400whp with this flex kit. But a LPFP is needed.

Hopefully you guys add this support. I know a bunch of people who are waiting for it as well. Having an option to compete with others but also being Flex would be killer.

draza74

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
17 GTI
Can someone please explain to me EXACTLY what I need to switch to IEs Flex Fuel?

Currently i'm running a Stratified Tune ofc off of my Cobb AP.

I know to swap i'll need a HPFP to go above E30 and ofc i'll need IEs DSG tune and their sensor harness but..
What else? I read I need the flex fuel ecu tune but.. I can't find it anywhere.. Unless it's just their regular ECU tune.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
Can someone please explain to me EXACTLY what I need to switch to IEs Flex Fuel?

Currently i'm running a Stratified Tune ofc off of my Cobb AP.

I know to swap i'll need a HPFP to go above E30 and ofc i'll need IEs DSG tune and their sensor harness but..
What else? I read I need the flex fuel ecu tune but.. I can't find it anywhere.. Unless it's just their regular ECU tune.
true flex harness, upgraded HPFP, DSG tune, intercooler.

When you buy IE's ECU tune it includes all octanes, including the flex fuel tune.

their webpage spells it out pretty clearly, scroll to the bottom you'll see a "hardware guide" chart.
https://performancebyie.com/collect...roducts/ie-ecu-tune-vw-audi-20t-tsi-gen3-is20

Thecollieman14

Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I just put the Stage 1 ECU and DSG tune on my ‘18 Golf R, and wanted to comment on the altitude thing.

I live in Colorado and travel to all 4 corners of the state for work, I’ve had my R since new and got the APR Plus (tune+warranty) then when warranty was up I moved to their high torque file. When I bought the car nobody had a DSG tune but I could tell it needed it bad, so I went with TVS. Fast forward 150,000 miles and 4 years later, I was having DSG concerns that felt like I wasn’t getting enough throttle on shifts so it was lugging I’ve found a way to work around it but ALWAYS get an underboost code. I’ve had boost leak checks, Apr and VW look into it with no answers other than “must be the tune” and as there’s not a “problem” persay I just let it go. This past weekend on my way back from Grand Junction the temperature ranged from +12 degrees to -28 degrees so I was enjoying the extra boost but I noticed when I got home I had no underboost code stored…doing the logical math, I assumed the extra air made the tune happy and thus it thought there was enough air now.

I went and did a lap after putting their Stage 1 on and there was NO underboost code! I would have had one with the old setup, but nothing made me happy that I was right and that IE’s claim about altitude is justified especially since they’re in the state next to me and it at sea level like most of the others.

I will be going stage 2 flex fuel next week, I have all the basic bolt ons installed since the first 6 month I had the car but I splurged over Black Friday and got IE’s downpipe, flex fuel sensor, and the ECU+DSG with powerlink cable. I really appreciate the fact they let you go to stage 1 first/the credit system, made it easy to flash to stage 1 today and then when the shops done with all the work next week I will bring my laptop when I pick it up and flash it in their bay before I leave!