GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IE Stage 2 HO Crackle - not audible difference

Dr Dad

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
17 Golf R 6MT
Hey everyone!
I got my emissions tested today so I had flashed back to stock, but before going back to my regular stage 2 tune I figured I would finally try the crackle tune (pops when letting off the throttle).
I literally heard nothing different. I could feel the engine almost fluttering(?) when letting off the throttle, but no crackles or pops. I only have a catted 44DD downpipe, no catback, but I expected slightly more than what I heard. Even tried under some bridges and in a parking deck, both with windows down, still nothing.
I knew I'd flip the tune back to my regular 93 HO file and did so an hour later, but was curious if anyone else noticed (or didn't lol) crackles with that specific tune.

Also, noticed I went from v1.3 to v1.5, anyone know the difference in the newer tune?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Dr Dad

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
17 Golf R 6MT

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
Ughhh

Because making efficient cars obnoxiously loud and less efficient is so fucking rad.

Dr Dad

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
17 Golf R 6MT
Ughhh

Because making efficient cars obnoxiously loud and less efficient is so fucking rad.
Except in this case it changed nothing to the sound! Like I said, switched files within an hour as I knew it would be temporary.

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
So are flat brimmed hats covered with hoodies and thick white framed Oakleys in the Subaru crowd.

Doesn't mean it isn't stupid.

Dr Dad

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
17 Golf R 6MT
Found your problem right there bud
Figured that had something to do with it! I saw HumbleMechanics video on the crackles and figured I'd also be able to hear ...something. Oh well! The little experiment failed, but it was only every going to be for one afternoon.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Looks like they use a pretty decent 400-cell cat. I get a bit of crackles from my high flow "cat" but judging by the smell it's not doing much work.

socalhatch

Don't panic it's organic
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Im also with IE stage 2 tune, i was on the crackle file but with a catless dp and oem muffler, it was not very aggressive at all. Sounded extremely muffled from the inside, from outside the car was just meh. Also i think it did it in every mode witch i dont like.

Dr Dad

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
17 Golf R 6MT
Im also with IE stage 2 tune, i was on the crackle file but with a catless dp and oem muffler, it was not very aggressive at all. Sounded extremely muffled from the inside, from outside the car was just meh. Also i think it did it in every mode witch i dont like.
Yeah I've heard that's a big complaint, with the request to only occur in race or custom mode.
Thanks for the info!

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
I'm not sure how it works with your tuner, but there are several reasons the pops could have not been enabled. Some pop tunes are programmed to only be enabled once the engine is up to temp. Some are only enabled in sport mode. Sometimes you have to take the car out of sport mode and put it back in to make the tune start popping.

socalhatch

Don't panic it's organic
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
I'm not sure how it works with your tuner, but there are several reasons the pops could have not been enabled. Some pop tunes are programmed to only be enabled once the engine is up to temp. Some are only enabled in sport mode. Sometimes you have to take the car out of sport mode and put it back in to make the tune start popping.
it burbles but not like other tunes, with IE it does it in every mode not only sport.