GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IE stage 1 91 octane 3rd gear pulls

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Hello all,

Due to some discussion in another thread I decided to run a few logs to look at timing and potential knock.

Two datazap logs of 3 pulls total in 3rd gear. One log of just a single pull, the third pull I did. One of two 3rd gear pulls and one kick down switch blip. On the two pull log the first pull cuts early due running out of safe road.:)

Single pull/3rd pull:
https://datazap.me/u/storablecoma/log-1609994780?log=0&data=5

1st and second:

https://datazap.me/u/storablecoma/log-1609994368?log=0&data=19

Edit: Car is stock other than the snow guard removal from the Airbox for the engine, currently running stock filter with a high flow to go in later. 6spd auto (non-DSG), and i'm currently running Bosch 8160s with stock gap for plugs, IE recommends NGK 4654 R7437-9s at .026 gap and i'll be swapping to them soon.

New Logs:
New single pull:
https://datazap.me/u/storablecoma/log-1610095273?log=0&data=16
New 2 pulls with a kickdown switch blip inbetween:
https://datazap.me/u/storablecoma/log-1610095607?log=0&data=16

Last edited:

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Hello all,

Due to some discussion in another thread I decided to run a few logs to look at timing and potential knock.

Two datazap logs of 3 pulls total in 3rd gear. One log of just a single pull, the third pull I did. One of two 3rd gear pulls and one kick down switch blip. On the two pull log the first pull cuts early due running out of safe road.:)

Single pull/3rd pull:
https://datazap.me/u/storablecoma/log-1609994780?log=0&data=5

1st and second:

https://datazap.me/u/storablecoma/log-1609994368?log=0&data=19
first log: i'm not used to seeing ea888 logs but it looks like you had a crazy timing spike at about 6300rpm. but apparently you also weren't at 100% throttle? ignition correction looked ok under boost though. i'm not a fan of your fuel trims but i am also not sure if that's considered in spec. I assume perfect fuel trims only come from the etuned cobb guys, since everyone else is pretty much on an ots tune.

second log: lot of the same stuff, but interesting how the intercooler doesn't shed heat very fast at all.

thanks for the logs! and as for my interpretations, please keep in mind i only have experience tuning gm LS v8's on hp tuners and k20 k24's on hondata. i can also look at wrx and sti logs just fine too. take what i observed with some salt, i am not familiar with the ea888 at all dude. i am here to learn, please criticize my observation. and thanks again for pulling the logs! what mods are you running besides stage 1?

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Just stage 1 with snow guard removal as far as engine is concerned. Also 6spd slush box triptronic and not DSG. Moog end links with a ST RSB and some other cosmetic stuff.

So crappy stock IC for now. Throttle was a smidge tricky as I didnt want to hit the kick down switch and click down into second like I did in the middle of the 2 pull log.

New to logs too, but given the talk of pulling 8 degrees timing i wanted to have a look. Log was pulled with the IE power link cable, but i can do some VCDS logs if needed.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Just stage 1 with snow guard removal as far as engine is concerned. Also 6spd slush box triptronic and not DSG. Moog end links with a ST RSB and some other cosmetic stuff.

So crappy stock IC for now. Throttle was a smidge tricky as I didnt want to hit the kick down switch and click down into second like I did in the middle of the 2 pull log.

New to logs too, but given the talk of pulling 8 degrees timing i wanted to have a look. Log was pulled with the IE power link cable, but i can do some VCDS logs if needed.
gotcha thanks for the info, and the logs, i appreciate it. also i dont think ive ever seen a vcds log before, i do like the accessport ones.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
@ZuMBLe Anything look off per our discussion in the other thread?

Just looked closer. Is your pedal not fully down!? The pedal position is factored in to the final torque request value. The log itself looks fine, but not sure it's a valid test since it says the pedal is not fully down.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Just looked closer. Is your pedal not fully down!? The pedal position is factored in to the final torque request value. The log itself looks fine, but not sure it's a valid test since it says the pedal is not fully down.
I noticed that too

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI

Sucks. With people with DSGs, you can disable the kickdown feature, making logging WOT pulls easier. In this guy's case, since he's slushy trans on stock TCU (bc no TCU tune exists for slushy trans), he's gotta be careful with the throttle so as not to activate kickdown.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Sucks. With people with DSGs, you can disable the kickdown feature, making logging WOT pulls easier. In this guy's case, since he's slushy trans on stock TCU (bc no TCU tune exists for slushy trans), he's gotta be careful with the throttle so as not to activate kickdown.
Would u be able to floor it at say, 5k rpm - ish?

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Would u be able to floor it at say, 5k rpm - ish?

Yes. In 3rd, 5K RPM is too high for a downshift. That's something he could experiment - try fooring it in 3M at various speeds until he finds the butter spot, the exact point at which the TCU will not activate kickdown due to over-reving the previous gear. Then he can get the most out of his 3rd gear log.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Yes. In 3rd, 5K RPM is too high for a downshift. That's something he could experiment - try fooring it in 3M at various speeds until he finds the butter spot, the exact point at which the TCU will not activate kickdown due to over-reving the previous gear. Then he can get the most out of his 3rd gear log.
Gotcha

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Just push right to the kick down switch. You can feel it. It will be 100% when you are against it without pressing it

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
99% sure the throttle was resting against the kick down switch. I can try again tonight to pull another log and compare the throttle position.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
I'll run a few more logs tonight as I said earlier, I was pretty sure throttle was resting against the kick down switch, at least 2 seconds after the log starts at the latest.

Should I attempt to run a pull in 4th, or just relog 3rd and confirm the pedal is physically pressing but not activating the switch? Attempting to figure out the best way to log it with the slush box.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I'll run a few more logs tonight as I said earlier, I was pretty sure throttle was resting against the kick down switch, at least 2 seconds after the log starts at the latest.

Should I attempt to run a pull in 4th, or just relog 3rd and confirm the pedal is physically pressing but not activating the switch? Attempting to figure out the best way to log it with the slush box.

Any advice @TwinDad ?