GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Idle drops to indicated near zero at times

stuffins

Car(s)
2019 GTI
I own a 2019 GTI with auto trans, 3200 miles on it-really like it! At times, whether in a drive gear or park, the idle will drop from its normal 750-800 rpms to an indicated "zero". If you blip the throttle it will return to 750-800 rpm,s. Anyone know anything about this? Is it somthing that you can adjust in the infotainment center? Thanks in advance, stuffins.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Did you get the software update that cured especially manual trans cars from stalling?

Buck43

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2021 GTI SE
If you don’t like the auto start stop there’s a button right by the gear shift that’s an “a” with a circle/arrow around it that will deactivate start/stop. Just have to press it every time you start up your car for a new drive. It drives me crazy, I get that it’s there for emissions and gas saving purposes but the amount of starts on a starter IMO can’t be worth it.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
If you don’t like the auto start stop there’s a button right by the gear shift that’s an “a” with a circle/arrow around it that will deactivate start/stop. Just have to press it every time you start up your car for a new drive. It drives me crazy, I get that it’s there for emissions and gas saving purposes but the amount of starts on a starter IMO can’t be worth it.

Agreed they suck but the starters are uprated, and designed for the day in day out use associated with the technology. Also the good thing about stop start is it forced manufacturers to put better mounts in to minimize drivetrain movement upon restarts when letting off the brake. I really enjoyed the factory mounts on both the 2019 GTI SE DSG and 2021 Jetta SE loaners I’ve had in the last 2 years. I was actually bummed when I learned the Alltrack didn’t come with it. The mounts are significantly worse on the cars that are not equipped with stop start. Surprisingly so.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Agreed they suck but the starters are uprated, and designed for the day in day out use associated with the technology. Also the good thing about stop start is it forced manufacturers to put better mounts in to minimize drivetrain movement upon restarts when letting off the brake. I really enjoyed the factory mounts on both the 2019 GTI SE DSG and 2021 Jetta SE loaners I’ve had in the last 2 years. I was actually bummed when I learned the Alltrack didn’t come with it. The mounts are significantly worse on the cars that are not equipped with stop start. Surprisingly so.

Did not know/think about uprated mounts with start/stop cars. Replaced mine a long time ago on my S model but its good to know.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
There are two software updates for your car. Make sure they've been done. VW got the VVT tuning wrong with the switch to a new oil pump and 0w-20. The issue causes symptoms exactly like your describing. My O2 sensor was also damaged due to the VVT issue and had to be replaced too.

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Hmmmmm, so a 6 spd manual GTI has different engine mounted than a DSG with start/stop?

Might be a nice OEM+ upgrade without adding too much NVH. I recently install a Neuspeed pitch mount insert thing and the whole car vibrates at idle.