GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I traded in the GTI

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
From what I read if you pay at least 7500 in taxes you get it all back! If you pay $5k you get $5k... except those tax credits aren't infinite. There are only so many given out per model of car. Tesla doesn't have many model cars still eligible for the tax credit. But it's a rąpidly changing policy and now new credits may be issued to speed up EV sales including Tesla. Google it. There must be 15 new laws getting close to voting on.

https://electrek.co/2021/02/11/tesla-7000-tax-credit-electric-cars-us-incentive-reform/

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
It looks pretty nice. The instant torque from the electric motor must feel pretty good. Probably why it feels faster than the GTI.

Ital

Go Kart Newbie
It looks pretty nice. The instant torque from the electric motor must feel pretty good. Probably why it feels faster than the GTI.
Yeah, the power is addicting, you get 100% power from the get go, you don't have to wait for a certain rpm. It's 220hp, and 250lbs of torque the whole way, one gear, acceleration is linear.. I am presently surprised did not expect to like it as much as I am.

They should make nismo version with dual awd motors.. that would be sick... lol

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
You have a fundamental misunderstanding of the incentive. The government is not giving him $7500.00. It’s reducing his taxable income by that amount. So if his income is $100,000 he’s taxed on $92,500. All things being equal and assuming 25% tax rate he’s saving $1875.00 not $7500. No money is coming out of our pockets.
I'm reminded of when someone tells a cop "I pay your salary!"

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Honestly I get it, if I didnt have such an irrational love for GTI's I would be in a Prius right now. They make way more sense for what I need in a car.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Seeing all those deserted EVs in the CA wildfires and then Ukraine was the tipping point for me to get one. I want to be absolutely boned when SHTF. Now if you’ll excuse me I have a toilet paper roll collection to go light on fire.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Seeing all those deserted EVs in the CA wildfires and then Ukraine was the tipping point for me to get one. I want to be absolutely boned when SHTF. Now if you’ll excuse me I have a toilet paper roll collection to go light on fire.
While I recognize the place EV's have, I share some of your sentiment here.
If things ever went really bad (and I recognize that they can) I want a gasoline powered vehicle.
Hybrids in some ways make the most sense.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
If things ever went really bad (and I recognize that they can) I want a gasoline powered vehicle.
1647258482024.png

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
I'm 100% on board with hybrids. The small battery means your normal morning work commute is 100% electric, but when you need to drive more than 50 miles your small 3 cylinder turbo kicks in and you aren't stranded. Oh, and you aren't chugging around a huge and heavy battery 100% of the time. The setup of the Chevy Volt is honestly the direction we should be going since our electric infrastructure will not be ready for all electric for a very long time, definitely not by 2035. My gut says VW will shift their timeline to going all electric, as they stare at the writing on wall in 2030.

Can you imagine apartment building parking lots? People would be running cords out their window so they can make it to work in the morning. Only to find out the apartment's breaker tripped at 2am and now you'll have to tell your boss why you'll be late for work for the 40th time this year.

Ah, what a future...

JTM88

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
I'm 100% on board with hybrids. The small battery means your normal morning work commute is 100% electric, but when you need to drive more than 50 miles your small 3 cylinder turbo kicks in and you aren't stranded. Oh, and you aren't chugging around a huge and heavy battery 100% of the time. The setup of the Chevy Volt is honestly the direction we should be going since our electric infrastructure will not be ready for all electric for a very long time, definitely not by 2035. My gut says VW will shift their timeline to going all electric, as they stare at the writing on wall in 2030.

Can you imagine apartment building parking lots? People would be running cords out their window so they can make it to work in the morning. Only to find out the apartment's breaker tripped at 2am and now you'll have to tell your boss why you'll be late for work for the 40th time this year.

Ah, what a future...
My wife drives a Volt and I think it's the perfect solution. 80% of the time she's on battery power, but if we want to take it on a trip we can, and it gets great gas mileage.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie

Ah, what a future...
I can't imagine apartment building living with ev's, and I don't believe the politicians pushing them - pushing the demise of gasoline powered cars have even given it thought.
I lived the first 50 years of my life on Staten Island, worked in Brooklyn for 35 years, commuted through Manhattan, had a girlfriend in Queens.
I have no idea how electrics can ever work in areas like that for a large amount of people.
Hybrids are another story, just a little bit of fuel and they'll go forever.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
Mrs. Shovel's 2016 RAV4 Hybrid gets 31mpg on the highway and 40+ mpg around town. That's pretty good for a small AWD SUV but it's nowhere near any zero emissions goal.

GTIguy87

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI DSG
Hmmm.... I don't think I can ever relate to trading in a GTI for an EV. Especially a leaf..... But props to you for trying to be financially responsible. I guess.