GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I traded in the GTI

Ital

Go Kart Newbie
Hi All, I just wanted to say good buy to all of you. Thanks for all the help and advise.
I loved my 2016 GTI, I had done quiet a bit of work to it, but since the trade in value were so good I decided to trade it in.
The fact that I had to replace the clutch twice did not help and the smell of coolant got me worried that other major repair could be coming soon, pushed me to trade it in.
The ride also had become to harsh for me lately.
I was afraid I was going to regret it as I love my manual transmission, but so far so good.
I ended up buying an EV. I was trying to make a wise financial move so I looked at the cheapest EV I could find and I ended up settling for them Nissan Leaf SV Plus
Still a hatchback, a bit bigger than the GTI and Roomier for the kids so that is good.
After doing a ton of research I picked the leaf mainly because compare to the competition the ride quality was better I was basically looking to every EV below 40k.
Also the zero percent financing for 72 months did help a lot too :D The Government $7,500 incentive helped and here in CT they also give you another 2,250 so that is good, so basically 10k off the top
I was afraid I would hate the way it would handle but I am pleasantly surprised, its so comfortable and quite. Acceleration is actually very good for being only 220HP. IMO from what I can if feels a lot faster than my GTI when it was stock
I really did not feel too much body roll, perhaps with time if I feel there is body roll I will get new rims to push the wheels out an inch all the way around.

I do have my stock DP if anyone needs one
I also have the South Bend Stage III endurance flywheel which is in perfect condition if anyone wants it.
The Clutch failed due to a part failure and not wear and tare. When I reached out to south bend I believe they told me for about $400 I get a new clutch disk and be done.
I ended up putting in the sachs performance clutch instead

I will miss you guys!! Take care!!

Screenshot_20220311-115153_Gallery.jpg

20220311_114656.jpg

Last edited:

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
I'm just kidding LMAO. Sorry you decided to move on. But at least you have the sweet sweet memories.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Enjoy, I'm actually eying EV's since my R doesn't seem to want to get here. One burned up and sank, now the plant is closed. I've been looking at the Kia EV6 and the Polestar 2.

Ital

Go Kart Newbie
Enjoy, I'm actually eying EV's since my R doesn't seem to want to get here. One burned up and sank, now the plant is closed. I've been looking at the Kia EV6 and the Polestar 2.
You should Look at the Hyundai Ioniq 5. I think its the best Looking one. It looks like an old school GTI but larger, but the EV6 GT performance is sick but still ways out.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
You should Look at the Hyundai Ioniq 5. I think its the best Looking one. It looks like an old school GTI but larger, but the EV6 GT performance is sick but still ways out.
I am, they're just harder to get and the interior of the Kia is better. If I could get the outside of the Ioniq 5 with the inside of the EV6, I'd be happy. I'm debating just waiting on the Genesis GV60, it looks great and I'd even be tempted to do the yellow and blue combo.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Hi All, I just wanted to say good buy to all of you. Thanks for all the help and advise.
I loved my 2016 GTI, I had done quiet a bit of work to it, but since the trade in value were so good I decided to trade it in.
The fact that I had to replace the clutch twice did not help and the smell of coolant got me worried that other major repair could be coming soon, pushed me to trade it in.
The ride also had become to harsh for me lately.
I was afraid I was going to regret it as I love my manual transmission, but so far so good.
I ended up buying an EV. I was trying to make a wise financial move so I looked at the cheapest EV I could find and I ended up settling for them Nissan Leaf SV Plus
Still a hatchback, a bit bigger than the GTI and Roomier for the kids so that is good.
After doing a ton of research I picked the leaf mainly because compare to the competition the ride quality was better I was basically looking to every EV below 40k.
Also the zero percent financing for 72 months did help a lot too :D The Government $7,500 incentive helped and here in CT they also give you another 2,250 so that is good, so basically 10k off the top
I was afraid I would hate the way it would handle but I am pleasantly surprised, its so comfortable and quite. Acceleration is actually very good for being only 220HP. IMO from what I can if feels a lot faster than my GTI when it was stock
I really did not feel too much body roll, perhaps with time if I feel there is body roll I will get new rims to push the wheels out an inch all the way around.

I do have my stock DP if anyone needs one
I also have the South Bend Stage III endurance flywheel which is in perfect condition if anyone wants it.
The Clutch failed due to a part failure and not wear and tare. When I reached out to south bend I believe they told me for about $400 I get a new clutch disk and be done.
I ended up putting in the sachs performance clutch instead

I will miss you guys!! Take care!!

View attachment 242042
View attachment 242043
Sorry to see another one go. You being happy is all that matters though. Best of luck with your new car.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
With the insanity of gas prices, electrics aren't looking too bad.
I once said that $5.00 per gallon would be the tipping point that would get more consumers into electrics.
I've been trying to go light on the throttle for my local runs, and I can average above 30 mpg's if I do.
There's an overall goodness to just about every vehicle out there today, so yes - I can understand your move to the Leaf.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
I once said that $5.00 per gallon would be the tipping point that would get more consumers into electrics.
I've been trying to go light on the throttle for my local runs, and I can average above 30 mpg's if I do.
There's an overall goodness to just about every vehicle out there today, so yes - I can understand your move to the Leaf.
I paid $5.02 for premium today.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
We'll miss you especially your Avatar. 😂