GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I Predict a Parts Shortage

ToddMS

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Golf TSI SE
I’m at a VW dealer and we haven’t seen any decrease in the parts. Just the cars coming in for parts. Also the delivery schedules for those parts. VW will only be sending us parts 4 out of 5 days each week starting next week. You want parts, call me up - I’ll get your parts.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
The impact is starting to reach anyone tied to healthcare now...My company provides software to hospitals, and while I can't share too many details, I can say that we're going to lay off 5% of employees and everyone who makes 100k+ will get varying percentage paycuts.

Reality is, clinics are losing business because people aren't coming into the doctor for little things they normally would, hospitals have fewer easy insurance payoffs, more expenses, and insurance isn't reimbursing as readily (they feel the hit too), and as a result of it all medical suppliers in various fields are seeing reductions in new revenue.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
I work for one of the top three tier 1 suppliers in the globe. Most people who cannot work from home in US have been asked to file for unemployment and all employees are taking a definite percentage pay cut. All US manufacturing plants are closed. Some plants in Europe are functional and still producing parts.

In current scenario, I think automotive parts shortage is of least importance in most peoples life.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I work for one of the top three tier 1 suppliers in the globe. Most people who cannot work from home in US have been asked to file for unemployment and all employees are taking a definite percentage pay cut. All US manufacturing plants are closed. Some plants in Europe are functional and still producing parts.

In current scenario, I think automotive parts shortage is of least importance in most peoples life.

Unless you use your car for business then a parts shortage would be a problem.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Unless you use your car for business then a parts shortage would be a problem.

Most mechanics in my area are open and would be able to resolve critical issues as they are considered as essential business.

My point was that, there is no point in hoarding auto parts or oil assuming shortage in future as described by OP.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Most mechanics in my area are open and would be able to resolve critical issues as they are considered as essential business.

My point was that, there is no point in hoarding auto parts or oil assuming shortage in future as described by OP.

I certainly agree it's ridiculous to hoard those things. If anything parts and oil are more readily available because so many people aren't driving their cars right now.

docwyte

Go Kart Champion
If you're an essential worker getting parts isn't an issue. All the basic maintenance parts are available.

greekspec2

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf R 17 BMW X1M
PARTS MEMORANDUM Parts Logistics
May 1, 2020
Attention: Parts / Service Manager
Mexico – Closure
Please note that due to VW Mexico being in Phase 3 of Coronavirus they will be closed until further notice, by order of the government of Mexico. Parts that are not in network that are being supplied from Mexico have an ETA of no earlier than May 22, 2020. Updates to this timeline will be published as they become available.
At Volkswagen Group of America we strive to provide complete customer satisfaction. We will continue to work closely with you, our dealer partners, to provide the best possible solutions given the challenges of a global pandemic.
We thank you for your continued patience as we navigate during this dynamic time. Please contact your Parts Helpline Team with any questions.