GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I Predict a Parts Shortage

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Which I certainly wouldn't want, but if there's any OEM parts you think you might need this year I would consider buying them now.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
if parts shops close down i will lose my shit lol!

maxwell

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GSW 6MT 4motion
I think this is not only a premature fear, but just that... fear(ful) thinking.

Aside from supply chains in the Wuhan province of China completely grenading earlier this year, things are already starting to recover there and the workforce is slowly returning to normalcy, as is the supply chain.

While the Coronavirus is a worldwide issue at the moment, this will run it's course soon enough. I don't expect supply shortages on anything long term. But, if you want to stock up on toilet paper (rolls eyes)... and while your at it add some 1.8t ea888's, some coil packs, and idk, maybe water pumps and intake manifolds you probably won't lose anyways. lol

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
It's going to start happening for electronics too. I'm surprised the cost hasn't gone up yet.

RudyH

Go Kart Champion
Which I certainly wouldn't want, but if there's any OEM parts you think you might need this year I would consider buying them now.

Pretty sure the MK7 is out of production at this point...they usually store a large amount of OEM parts in a warehouse and distribute as needed. aftermarket is aftermarket and you never know anyway

Gas (hording maybe?) and oil is really the bigger questions. Especially with these cheap prices right now, and depending on what happens next

S1ack

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7 R
and while your at it add some 1.8t ea888's

So a spare 1.8T for the 2.0T? Gotcha.

Seriously though, as I just picked up a 19 Jetta GLI, I might just get some items that are common between it and the 16 Golf R. Water pump and coil packs sound like a good start.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I'm not sure about a "parts shortage" but i definitely think supply chains will be affected to the point that getting items either takes longer or results in multi-month backorders.

For those that think we'll be out of this in just a few weeks, have a look at the stats. In my area we have a few confirmed cases, but we also have had a couple deaths and one of them was an individual in a nursing home who had not left the facility in a long time (that means communal transmission from someone in the area that came to the facility). Mind you, we also have tons of morons, like an entire family that tested positive and then went to a child's birthday party and didn't tell anyone they were infected.

Stay safe everyone! Wash your hands and face regularly, avoid touching "public" items, and if you're sick, just stay home :).

EVOBert

I'm already facing the parts shortage problem with my '19 DSG R.

The odd gear clutch was slipping dramatically a couple weeks ago, especially prevalent in 5th and 7th gear at lower RPMs in manual mode on the highway. Brought it to the dealer over two weeks ago and after showing them a video of what the car was doing (no codes when scanned) they wanted to keep it there. They decided to replace the clutch packs which they originally said would be at the dealer in 4 days time.

Status from the dealer as of now is that there are no clutch packs in the country, none available in Germany and they may need to go to the manufacturer to have them made. I have a case open with VWOA, since between this major issue and what has been 5 trips to the dealer for grab handles and clogged wiper nozzles, I have taken 4 days off work and wasted a couple Saturdays waiting at the dealer. At this point I have no idea when I'll get the car back.

I don't want them to buy back the car, but this car has been a pretty big inconvenience compared to my'16 GTI, and I feel like they should offer some form of compensation for all of this hassle. My dealer is great and the rep at VWOA has been responsive though, so no complaints there.

In the end I really just want the car back in working order and hopefully not have any more warranty related trips to the dealer.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
As long as we're doing predictions I predict that there will be an abundance of spare parts for sale on the forum from the people who bought parts they won't need. ?
Sadly, this probably will happen. Be more cautious for scams as well.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie

I agree. There will be shortage due to Covid-19.. it is unavoidable. For me I already did my annual oil change and the only thing I am doing this year is driving and enjoying the car. I have plenty of tire tread left and other wheel sets so I should be good.