GOLFMKV

I need a new engine at 48k miles, pre owned warranty voided by stage 1 tune

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Yes, first call from them was to ask me “which stage is the car?”

The Accessport was not in the car.
Before taking it in I would have removed everything non stock from the engine, then my answer to ‘which stage is it?’ Would have been, stage! What’s a stage?.

Drazzed

Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Before taking it in I would have removed everything non stock from the engine, then my answer to ‘which stage is it?’ Would have been, stage! What’s a stage?.

I absolutely should have ?

Well, post update: dealership (of course) charges $16k for replacing the engine for a new one and includes the labor.

I’m obviously not going for this path. However, I’m looking for a used engine in good condition, but something in me doesn’t trust that option at all, what do you guys think? Should I get mine repaired or it’s not worth it and I should get another one?

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Should I get mine repaired

That is not a quick, simple or easy thing.

It would have to be stripped to a bare block, the block will likely need machine work from damage after the piston failure, aftermarket pistons, and reassembly from there. It's a ton of additional labor and machine work that you wouldn't need with a used engine.

Drazzed

Car(s)
MK7 GTI

It would have to be stripped to a bare block, the block will likely need machine work from damage after the piston failure, aftermarket pistons, and reassembly from there. It's a ton of additional labor and machine work that you wouldn't need with a used engine.

I know it is not, but I’m a little skeptical over getting another engine. Though I will probably walk this path

Hoon

Autocross Champion
I know it is not, but I’m a little skeptical over getting another engine. Though I will probably walk this path

You can always quote it but you will probably have to get that done by a performance shop.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
Sounds like a great time to learn how to rebuild a motor.

When life gives you lemons...

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

I got lucky the last time one of my Subaru's ate a piston ring and it didn't damage the cylinder wall. I was expecting to have to have it machined or replaced if it was fubar. He could be lucky. If that's the case, they can to a quick hone and be done. Should be able to see the cylinder walls with a scope.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Buy a used engine and have an independent shop put it in.

This is easiest path.

Which other cars share the same engine specs?

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
One thing I found out a long time ago when sourcing a replacement for my b5.5 engine. When you split the long block, Audi part numbers were the same (short and head), but if looking by long block, totally different
Which other cars share the same engine specs?

split the long from short block and compare to Audi....same Gen3 2.0, so look at Audi A4. Call shokan .....that's where I sourced my used engine from...for a VW Passat

Loopy

Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
My tuner said that over time the pistons in the Mk 7 GTI motor have been improved by VW to make them more robust. They noticed when ordering new pistons they are different to ones they pulled from a 2015/2016 car.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Bummer , you should have unmarried the AP which would have restored the ECU back to factory image.
Which doesn't prevent the VW scan tool from detecting that the ECU had been modified. You simply can't prevent them from knowing if they look, period. Beaten to a pulp here over and over. When you flash, you run this risk always.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Which doesn't prevent the VW scan tool from detecting that the ECU had been modified. You simply can't prevent them from knowing if they look, period. Beaten to a pulp here over and over. When you flash, you run this risk always.

That still isn't confirmed. They used to say the same thing about a counter with Subarus and I know for a fact it wasn't true.