GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I need a clutch

N0rth3rnl1ghts

Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
my 17 GTI sport that's got 62k miles on it has a clutch that's starting to slip. and it's annoying so I'm ready to pull the trigger on a stage 2 clutch

I'm putting an EQT tune on very soon but also would like some wiggle room in case I wanted to install an IS38 Turbo.

The problem is I can't really find anything I like.

I don't want the chatter and I want it to feel OEM-ish, I also don't want any of the cheap shit.

any ideas?

what clutches do you currently run?

martinm0

my 17 GTI sport that's got 62k miles on it has a clutch that's starting to slip. and it's annoying so I'm ready to pull the trigger on a stage 2 clutch

I'm putting an EQT tune on very soon but also would like some wiggle room in case I wanted to install an IS38 Turbo.

The problem is I can't really find anything I like.

I don't want the chatter and I want it to feel OEM-ish, I also don't want any of the cheap shit.

any ideas?

what clutches do you currently run?
Have a look over the EQT write up about clutches. Granted they are covering what they offer/sell, but I have been leaning towards the Ringer Racing clutches due to their use with OEM DMFs, but also based on Dave's points around pressure plates and clutch feel.

https://eqtuning.com/blogs/technical-write-ups/dave-talks-about-clutches

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
^that right there. Sachs makes a decent application if retaining the DMF as well. I have only ever run ACT, and there offerings on the MQB platform require converting to SMF. The chatter really isnt that bad tbh.

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
I’m installing the RSR Hybrid clutch that utilizes the OEM dmf. I cannot comment yet on the setup as I’m waiting for the new flywheel to arrive from FCP. I went this route because I didn’t want to completely change the feel of the car. There’s a lot of info and opinions out there on clutch choices for our cars. My setup is EQT IS38 with their OTS 93 tune.

Boje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
When I had a GTI, I had the RSR Hybrid clutch in it and I LOVED it. Pedal was a *tiny* bit firmer than stock in way that made it feel much more engaging to me, and it had absolutely no problem holding EQT Stage 2 (stock turbo) power. I used a new OEM DMF and adhered to the break-in procedure religiously. I now have a DSG (which I massively regret!) – if I get go back to 6MT on this platform I will definitely put that same clutch in it again. I have no doubt it could hold any IS38 tune too, as the torque rating is pretty decent.

Anyway, yeah lots of threads on this out there.

N0rth3rnl1ghts

Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
i forgot to add also.

assuming i keep the DMF, do i need to buy a brand new DMF when i replace the clutch?

thats a dumb question the car has 60k something on it -_-

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
This is my experience. My clutch was slipping, mostly in cold temps, prior to making the choice to upgrade to the RSR Hybrid. I was EQT 93 stage 1. I had planned on reusing the OEM flywheel but wasn’t to comfortable with how it looked when I removed the pp and clutch. You could see some machine groves but it was very smooth.

I decided to play it safe and order a new OEM Sachs DMF from FCPEuro. The new flywheel has very pronounced groves I can feel. I am also upgraded to an IS38 and a 93 EQT staged is38 tune. I want to have legitimate feedback when I get some miles on the RSR Hybrid and didn’t want to risk the clutch slipping because I wanted to save $450.

Old vs New
CD2C9EBC-6487-40CA-B1F2-CB98FA6932B5.jpeg
6D423909-A8DD-4045-A99F-4D7003969A7D.jpeg

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
^that right there. Sachs makes a decent application if retaining the DMF as well. I have only ever run ACT, and there offerings on the MQB platform require converting to SMF. The chatter really isnt that bad tbh.

Going this route as well. Glad the chatter isn't too bad. But either way, race car.

Did you go with the Performance or the Extreme?

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Going this route as well. Glad the chatter isn't too bad. But either way, race car.

Did you go with the Performance or the Extreme?
Performance, but I will be swapping in the Extreme after motor build and bigger turbo.