GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I learn something everyday (Sport Mode Switching)

scasey

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 GTI
Is there an ODB11 that allows it to default to S mode on the DSG? Nothing wrong with having to shift everytime, but would be nice if it just saved it.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Is there an ODB11 that allows it to default to S mode on the DSG? Nothing wrong with having to shift everytime, but would be nice if it just saved it.

I think that "goodvibes" is correct. Just run the Custom setting and it will stay where you choose.

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
I think that "goodvibes" is correct. Just run the Custom setting and it will stay where you choose.
Infotainment driving profile is not the same as the transmission drive/sport selection. Driving profile controls the weight of the wheel, the speed of the adaptive lighting adjustment, the soundacktor, and throttle responsiveness. It doesn't change the shift points like d/s does on the transmission gear selector

scasey

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 GTI
Infotainment driving profile is not the same as the transmission drive/sport selection. Driving profile controls the weight of the wheel, the speed of the adaptive lighting adjustment, the soundacktor, and throttle responsiveness. It doesn't change the shift points like d/s does on the transmission gear selector
Exactly, I am talking about the transmission which as far as I can tell has no settings. You can be in sport mode and still have the DSG in "D".

Internexus

Ready to race!
Here's another tip regarding the shifter. If you've been using the paddles while leaving the shifter and D or S, you can instantly and easily pass control back to the car by flicking down once on the shifter. I find it to be much more intuitive way to disable manual mode than awkwardly holding the right paddle shifter for a few seconds.

Or since you're already using the paddles you can just hold the up-shift paddle (right side) and it will kick control back over to the default mode you are presently in whether that is sport or drive.

In response to OP's post I thought this was all common knowledge here but if anything I've discovered that I'm just a nerd who likes to read the entire manual to know all of the features of the car! :geek:

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Or since you're already using the paddles you can just hold the up-shift paddle (right side) and it will kick control back over to the default mode you are presently in whether that is sport or drive.

In response to OP's post I thought this was all common knowledge here but if anything I've discovered that I'm just a nerd who likes to read the entire manual to know all of the features of the car! :geek:
Although it’s definitely a good idea, you don’t need to read the manual to understand how features work in a car, just trying things out can get you familiar with the cars functions pretty quick, in this case the ability to be able to knock it into sport with the shifter is marked right on it, so shouldn’t be a surprise!

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Same thing as on the display screen right? I mean sport is sport yes?
Not sure exactly what you mean but knocking the shifter back only alters the transmission, not steering weight etc!

Wildthing

Car(s)
TSI Match DSG
Have to agree to disagree. It's not worth getting a GTI if you're going to drive in Eco mode. Do what you want.
It's not a GTI, and the eco mode is smoother than the drive mode but not slower. sport mode is just nice to have when you need it. Sitting in a jam every day does not warrant a GTI with BIK(tax) in the UK.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
It's not a GTI, and the eco mode is smoother than the drive mode but not slower. sport mode is just nice to have when you need it. Sitting in a jam every day does not warrant a GTI with BIK(tax) in the UK.
benefit in kind tax wouldn’t be massively different on a GTi, £500 - £1500 approx depending on your pay bracket and mileage, the saving over buying your own GTi with depreciation included is large though, but I do get your point.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion

He did say in the post you quoted that you can hold the right paddle as well....

I'll say what everyone here is thinking but is too polite to say - this thread is pointless. This is a basic function of the car that every semi-reasonable dealership should point out during the test drive, as well as every owner should notice as soon as you look down by the shifter. Also not just a VW thing. My moms Camry and any other automatic vehicles I've driven that have sport mode have the same function

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Exactly, I am talking about the transmission which as far as I can tell has no settings. You can be in sport mode and still have the DSG in "D".

Sorry I confused you with the guy that wanted to use Eco mode by default.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

You should have posted what car it is.

halluxvalgas

Passed Driver's Ed
He did say in the post you quoted that you can hold the right paddle as well....

I'll say what everyone here is thinking but is too polite to say - this thread is pointless. This is a basic function of the car that every semi-reasonable dealership should point out during the test drive, as well as every owner should notice as soon as you look down by the shifter. Also not just a VW thing. My moms Camry and any other automatic vehicles I've driven that have sport mode have the same function

Fair enough. I like the idea of finding new things with my car even if maybe I "should've" already noticed them. The only car I had before this didn't have this functionality so it wasn't something I knew to look for.

Also, I've seen worse threads...