GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I learn something everyday (Sport Mode Switching)

halluxvalgas

Passed Driver's Ed
I was watching a random YouTube video and found out if you lightly shift DOWN (not to the side) you can go from Normal to Sport mode and vice versa!
Obviously only for DSG automatic but still a fun fact I just found out about and love. Many of you probably knew about this but maybe some of you didn't. I only knew about going to the side for manual shifting. Happy Holidays!

yakuza70

Passed Driver's Ed
I usually drive in normal mode for a more relaxed throttle response and better fuel economy. It's fine for 90% of daily driving. However, when you need that quick throttle response, like merging, it's great to simply pull back on the DSG shifter for instant sport mode. I've noticed that it only seems to change my throttle and keeps the other adjustments like chassis settings, steering, etc. the same?

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Here's another tip regarding the shifter. If you've been using the paddles while leaving the shifter and D or S, you can instantly and easily pass control back to the car by flicking down once on the shifter. I find it to be much more intuitive way to disable manual mode than awkwardly holding the right paddle shifter for a few seconds.

carrots

Car(s)
2019 Golf GTI Rabbit
I usually drive in normal mode for a more relaxed throttle response and better fuel economy. It's fine for 90% of daily driving. However, when you need that quick throttle response, like merging, it's great to simply pull back on the DSG shifter for instant sport mode. I've noticed that it only seems to change my throttle and keeps the other adjustments like chassis settings, steering, etc. the same?

For that "sport mode" you have to switch it on the infotainment. That affects the steering, chassis etc. The "sport mode" using the shifter is different. So you're probably in the "normal mode" setting and "sport" mode at the same time

Wildthing

Car(s)
TSI Match DSG
Dropping into sport on the dsg is a nice touch, but does anyone know how to save the default mode as eco, as it always defaults to normal/drive on restart?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
It’s on the shifter markings. Always surprised when people don’t see it.

I didn't see it because I only took a very short test drive and was totally unfamiliar with the car. I was coming from a Veloster Turbo DCT and the new Veloster N doesn''t have a DCT so I knew I was buying the GTI because none of the other comparable cars had a DCT either. I make deliveries and a manual shift car was out of the question.

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
Eco mode is the smoothest shifting for around town and no slower than normal if you put your foot in it, just lacks some downshifting/engine braking with your foot off the gas. I use eco with sport steering for my custom mode and my Alltrack has a GTI suspension with Konis, R rear bar and a JB4. The idea that one would never want a more comfortable drive while in normal traffic is a bit myopic. Hope the vehicle specificity is enough for your proper judgement on my worthiness of owning it. Busy traffic, I'll move it to normal for engine braking and bump it to sport when I want it perky. They are all great options for different circumstances even though you feel VW shouldn't have offered one of them.

For the fellow that said his always defaults to normal on start, mine stays in custom. I don't recall about the other setting but maybe try that.