GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I installed a turbo blanket

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
You can install the turbo blanket without taking anything off. You will have to pull the downpipe to wrap it but that's pretty easy.

reeeeeeeeeeeeeally? Shoot, If I can wrap the turbo without removing a ton of crap, I'll do it. Not too anal about wrapping the DP, so this will be an easy Forge purchase

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
You can install the turbo blanket without taking anything off. You will have to pull the downpipe to wrap it but that's pretty easy.

Isn't there a heat shield in the way? I haven't actually done it yet but I did watch a video on Youtube.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
What seems to be the best fitting blanket out there? Are there ones with good fit without having to safety wire?

in my shopping, I can't recall seeing one without safety wires.

I would think you want the wires to stabilize the blanket as the blanket could interfere with the diverter. I bought the Thermal Zero (haven't installed yet) as they claimed custom fit and their photos suggest they did a decent job fitting around the diverter. Still, they use wires that run beneath the diverter

TheMechanicDude

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
in my shopping, I can't recall seeing one without safety wires.

I would think you want the wires to stabilize the blanket as the blanket could interfere with the diverter. I bought the Thermal Zero (haven't installed yet) as they claimed custom fit and their photos suggest they did a decent job fitting around the diverter. Still, they use wires that run beneath the diverter
Keep your receipt. had one on my WRX. Tore right at the stitching..they replaced...new one did same, noticed when I returned car to stock

uberpolka

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI
The Forge blanket doesn't come with safety wire, just springs.
That being the case, I've had zero problems with interference with the wastegate actuator. Plenty of clearance if it's installed correctly.
Few thousand miles on mine now and I'm super happy with it, especially given the price it cost.

Huge cut in underhood temps.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
Keep your receipt. had one on my WRX. Tore right at the stitching..they replaced...new one did same, noticed when I returned car to stock
thanks, will do

Chad1140

Passed Driver's Ed
The Forge blanket doesn't come with safety wire, just springs.
That being the case, I've had zero problems with interference with the wastegate actuator. Plenty of clearance if it's installed correctly.
Few thousand miles on mine now and I'm super happy with it, especially given the price it cost.

Huge cut in underhood temps.
Sometimes you get what you pay for, and sometimes ya get a bargain for what the Forge appears to be. There are some blankets with exotic materials, but on the stock turbo it looks like the Forge is the way to go. I appreciate the insight.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
UPDATE:
My intake temps during August heat are hitting about 150 with the A/C on when parked. The EQT stage 2 tune is still happy at this temp. So far I still have no regerts.

I really do need to reinstall mine. I was going to wait for my turbo upgrade, but this COVID stuff is making it less likely I will go that route in the near future. I was messing with my HIDs and it was face melting hot in the engine bay. I'm very sure it wasn't like that when the turbo blanket was installed.