GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I installed a turbo blanket

Jimdog

Passed Driver's Ed
In February I decided to install a forge turbo blanket and I wrapped my catless DP. I think I have enough experience with it now to give it an honest review.

I would say that the performance benefits are indirect. There isn't less turbo lag. The car sounds the same. It didn't reduce cruising IAT. If you never get off the highway or stop at the track then it probably isn't worth it. If you DO go to the drag strip or autox you already know that IAT tend to rise even with the hood open and engine off while you sit in staging. That's where the turbo blanket has made a huge difference. Last year when sitting in staging my intake temps would creep north of 180 degrees. This year they are leveling out at around 130. The highest I've seen so far this year was when I was at the Wendy's drive through. I spent about 30 minutes stopped in the drive through with the A/C on. My IAT was just over 170 and quickly dropped back down to 130 once I started driving again. Its a condition specific improvement but it makes a huge difference when those conditions are met. I'm not worried about the turbo getting too hot. So far I've only done about a dozen hour long road trips with a trailer behind me but I think its safe to assume that the turbo isn't going to have a heat stroke at this point. In addition to the turbo blanket I also wrapped the downpipe. I already had part of it wrapped since the revo downpipe comes close to the ABS controller and I wanted to keep the heat off of it. But now I have the downpipe wrapped from start to the mounting bracket under the car. It wasn't discolored or anything where the wrap was before. In fact it had less corrosion where the wrap was at. There isn't a blast of heat in your face when you open the engine hood now either. Overall I am very happy with the turbo blanket and downpipe wrap. I know this has been a debated topic before but hopefully my experience can be used in favor of installing more turbo blankets.

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R
Had a pair of PTP blankets on a coyote based TT build and like your observations, I felt no performance difference but the engine bay heat mitigation was unbelievable. I’ve never tried wrap but I did have the DP for my MK7 ceramic coated inside and out. I don’t expect to be able to touch it like I could my blankets after winding it out but I missed a few pieces of masking tape on the outside of the cast upper section when installing it (to prevent scratches) and sure enough after curing it for an hour via leisurely driving the masking tape didn’t even burn or melt in any way. I’m kicking myself for not taking the time to hit my stock DP with my heat gauge gun before installing my new one for comparison.

Most folks, myself included, consider blankets to be snake oil until you walk up and touch one immediately after a pass. Mildly warm at most. Then sense kicks in and you begin to fathom how happier everything else in the bay must be even if it means (yet to experience this myself) a 10% or 15% reduced lifespan on the turbo.

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R
Hmm. I've had a turbo blanket for my mk6 track car sitting on my shelf for over a year and this is making me want to finally install it. Dealing with fiberglass is such a pain though and I'm dreading the actual install

What kind of blanket do you have? The PTPs are quality as if a wrench turning OCD grandma knitted it herself with zero exposed fiber of any kind.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Wrapped and blanket and heat shield on my WRX. Made a whale of a difference with a TMIC. Think they’re cheap enough I’d do it again. There were concerns with DP wrap holding water in down here in FL.
This. I had one on my stage 3 WRX and needed it with that TMIC.

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R
1592339614965.png

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
What kind of blanket do you have? The PTPs are quality as if a wrench turning OCD grandma knitted it herself with zero exposed fiber of any kind.
yeah I have a PTP on my hybrid and it doesn’t seem like it’s even glass, there are zero Little slivers that come off when you are installing it... now my Cheap ebay wrap Is another story!!!

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
It is a PTP and looks great
yeah I have a PTP on my hybrid and it doesn’t seem like it’s even glass, there are zero Little slivers that come off when you are installing it... now my Cheap ebay wrap Is another story!!!
Doesn't the fiberglass still get in your skin and whatnot though? Unfortunately it's going on a mk6 which is a bit more difficult than the mk7's to install.

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R
It is a PTP and looks great

Doesn't the fiberglass still get in your skin and whatnot though? Unfortunately it's going on a mk6 which is a bit more difficult than the mk7's to install.

Nah, at least that wasn’t my experience at all. I even fiddled with them quite a bit before installing them and during install to get them symmetrical and such. Are you saying that the the MK7s install is easy? I assumed the turbo would have to come off to get it properly bound up but if not, I might grab one.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Yup. This is pretty much what I experienced. Mine only came off because my wastegate actuator died and I butchered my blanket trying to diagnose my problem. I'll put a blanket on my next turbo also.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Waiting for the haters to come in here to say turbo blankets are a waste of money. But a 400 dollar intake is worth it. Haha.