GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hubcentric Aftermarket Rims?

abbas16

Passed Driver's Ed
https://www.ravspec.com/shop/titan-7-forged-t-s5-18x8-5-44-5x112-57-1-satin-titanium-for-vw-golf

A quick Google search said they are 57.1 CB.

If you really want to know, call Titan.

I know they’re forged but these are $1,100 more than my Ampliforms and only .6lbs lighter. :eek: I love my Ampliforms even more now.

thanks for that

and a quick google search said they are actually 1.2 lbs lighter.

for a fully forged wheel compared to flow formed would explain the price difference as well.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
thanks for that

and a quick google search said they are actually 1.2 lbs lighter.

for a fully forged wheel compared to flow formed would explain the price difference as well.

Real world weight was 19.3lbs for my Ampliforms.

Titans are also a lot thinner spoked, surprising the weight isn’t less.

Honestly 1-2 even 3-4 lbs on our cars is hardly felt, the MK7 platform isn’t a Miata.

GL, they look nice.

thez99

Go Kart Champion
I know my Konig Hypergrams are not hub centric, but they didn't come with hub adapters either, which leads me to believe it isn't required. an 18" wheel is also relatively lightweight and flowformed.

If the wheel does not fit over the hub snug as a bug, you need rings. No you may not feel a difference right now, but all it's doing it putting more stress on your bolts and their position and will eventually lead to uneven wear and vibration in the wheel

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I know my Konig Hypergrams are not hub centric, but they didn't come with hub adapters either, which leads me to believe it isn't required. an 18" wheel is also relatively lightweight and flowformed.

I'm not sure where you ordered them from, but a reputable dealer/shop will sell or include the hub rings.
If you just ordered them off ebay or something & didn't put in your vehicle info....they wouldn't know what car they're going on and/or they don't include them for free

abbas16

Passed Driver's Ed
https://www.ravspec.com/shop/titan-7-forged-t-s5-18x8-5-44-5x112-57-1-satin-titanium-for-vw-golf

A quick Google search said they are 57.1 CB.

If you really want to know, call Titan.

I know they’re forged but these are $1,100 more than my Ampliforms and only .6lbs lighter. :eek: I love my Ampliforms even more now.
Turns out they're are not hubcentric ANYMORE. until now they were all hubcentric, but they said starting with their new batch they will be 66.6 so as to appeal to a larger VAG community.

Explains the confusion of online and what I heard from shops :)

Sent from my LG-H915 using Tapatalk

odessa.filez

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
OP, if you have not done so already, I suggest browsing wheel sites located in Europe as you may find more selection of hubcentriic wheels. Performance Alloys is one example. No idea if you'll check all your boxes though

I tend to agree with the thought that wheel weight is nice to have but perhaps not that noticeable. As an anecdote, a few months ago at an autocross, I watched a guy on Austins book the second fastest time of the day vs roughly 100 competitors (against skilled drivers in miatas, vettes, porsches, etc). Driver > tires > alignment > everything else

Last edited:

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
OP, if you have not done so already, I suggest browsing wheel sites located in Europe as you may find more selection of hubcentriic wheels. Performance Alloys is one example. No idea if you'll check all your boxes though

I tend to agree with the thought that wheel weight is nice to have but perhaps not that noticeable. As an anecdote, a few months ago at an autocross, I watched a guy on Austins book the second fastest time of the day vs roughly 100 competitors (against skilled drivers in miatas, vettes, porsches, etc). Driver > tires > alignment > everything else

Thanks. I'll take a look. I don't know any other European sites so off to Google I go for the next while.

Reason I'm looking at flow form or forged rims is because they're supposed a lot safer than cast iron rims at the track. I know I won't feel a total of 10lbs to 20lbs difference in unsprung weight. Especially not yet at my level, which I'd say is around intermediate.

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
2 years later, my search is still ongoing. Doesn't look like there's anything? I want 17x8.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
Thanks. I'll take a look. I don't know any other European sites so off to Google I go for the next while.

Reason I'm looking at flow form or forged rims is because they're supposed a lot safer than cast iron rims at the track. I know I won't feel a total of 10lbs to 20lbs difference in unsprung weight. Especially not yet at my level, which I'd say is around intermediate.

I think you’re overthinking this.

You can run metal/aluminum rings on aftermarket wheels, I do.

There is also high temp anti-seize if you’re worried about them bonding to the hub.

As an example, recently I replaced my exhaust on my 997.

Since the bolts were a rusty mess and some had to be cut off. I slabbed a bunch of Permatex High-Temp Antiseize on all of the new bolts once they were torqued down. I plan to reapply every time that I am in/down there. That way if I want to replace exhaust components in the future it wont be harder than it should be.

The Permatex High Temp Anti-Seize I bought is rated from -20 F to +2,400F, so it can be used near the cat/headers. I have had quite a few heat cycles from spirited drives and its still blobbed on there.

There is no way those rings in your hub will be reaching anywhere near 2,400 degrees.

So you should be able to run metal rings and that will open you up to dozens of choices.

Last edited:

EricsVdub

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE Exp pkg

Cast Iron would be more than 10 to 20lbs difference. I think you meant cast aluminum. ;)

odessa.filez

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
OP, there's a good argument against hubcentric, which is resale. No Mercedes or Mini owner will want them and some Audi are bigger.

42draftdesigns makes hubcentric adapters that convert 66.7 to 57.1

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
2 years later, my search is still ongoing. Doesn't look like there's anything? I want 17x8.
Has anyone mentioned the Neuspeed RSE05? I use them for my winters and they are great. The wheel uses all stock hardware, are light (17lbs), hubcentric, and I can confirm they clear TT-S calipers without a spacer.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I had a set of the RSE05 in 17x8. They are 57.1. I bought them for a Mini Cooper...which is 66.56.