GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hub Centric Rings and Vibrations

daymoon

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I chased a similar issue,.
bought Konig HyperGrams and mounted my already used Conti Extreme Contacts to them.
bought Konigs plastic centering rings.
bought a good 1/2" torque wrench and used the proper method of tightening. Star pattern in increments up to about 50 lbs. Then lower tire to make contact with the ground enough to not spin and send it home.

I had a vibration at 60+ felt like it was the back wheel. swapping wheels/rings around didn't seem to move the perceived location. I assumed it was a rim. I had my cousin ( a master honda mech ) mount/balance my tires.
Still I had the balance re-checked at a local tire discounters. No adjustments were made and very little weight was used on any of the wheels. In fact only 3 of them required any weight at all. Nothing was bent, wheel bearings are okay, bushings are okay.
No changes. still have a vibration.
I then bought another set of plastic rings from Amazon.
Still vibrating.
Finally I bought a set of metal rings from Amazon, applied anti seize on them very carefully ( you don't want it on the hub face ).
- Metal Rings fixed my issued.

I went through two sets of rings before I found some that didn't vibrate.
I understand that an alternative might be switch to studs / nuts. It centers the wheel different since the studs are static and the nuts now have enough play to "pull" the wheel into correct alignment. I'm not sure how true this is but it seems reasonable. That said good stud conversions are sort of $$.

Good luck!
Can’t entirely rule the rings out that I purchased yet on Amazon, they’re aluminum, though I’ve heard conflicting reports on how some don’t fit the hub properly as it has a flange on the end

Here’s a picture of the rings tire rack supplied, they’re about the same depth as the aluminum ones I have on now (tire rack on front, aluminum in rear) still feel vibrations in pedal and floor past 60 mph. Do you happen to remember the brand you purchased from? I’m still considering ordering a set from BFI.

Attachments

• CA00D41A-4822-415C-92C7-0DC8FF771656.jpeg
    CA00D41A-4822-415C-92C7-0DC8FF771656.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 69

daymoon

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
These are the rings I purchased that ended up working for me.

ZHTEAPR 4pcs Wheel Hub Centric... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RLC8JLM?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Highly recommend putting some antiseize on them if you live in a snow or coastal climate.

I also have a thread on here where I was posting as I was learning. I'm sure we have post histories? You may like to have a look.
I’ll give those a try, wouldn’t hurt only 15 bucks. Will report back (just my case it’s 72.6 to 57.1)

daymoon

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Ok, just received the rings stated above, they seemed a bit more heavy than the previous aluminum rings I bought, and maybe a 'bit' deeper, but I don't have a digital caliper so not too sure.

Removed old rings, wiped down old antiseize, brake clean, wire brush hub face, small about of new antiseize to hub, new rings on. Then hand tightened in a star pattern, 10-30-60 ft pounds in the air, finally 90 on the ground.

Took for a rather extensive / fun 30 mile run, various speeds, small stretch of freeway I was able to get up to 95 to see the difference in feel from 60+.

I've got to say this is the best it's felt since getting these tires/wheels, and although I do still feel 'something' (which may just be what should normally be felt going 60+, not sure). It may be remedied by getting the rear tires dismounted, and spun, so they have less weights on each.

I'd say the difference in feel in this. Before, the pedal feel was a rumbling, or a consistent but fast tapping. Now, imagine the feeling of humming on your throat, while not as pronounced, its the best I could think of as a difference. Again, this may be entirely normal when going faster in freeway speeds, but its wayyyy less noticable than before.

Roald

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI mk 7 2017
I felt similarly and have since had several other folks with way more experience than me ride along and not notice. I think at some point it becomes a hyper sensitivity thing. Of course I haven't ridden in your car but I'm happy to hear the situation is improving!

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
These are the rings I purchased that ended up working for me.

ZHTEAPR 4pcs Wheel Hub Centric... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RLC8JLM?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Highly recommend putting some antiseize on them if you live in a snow or coastal climate.

I also have a thread on here where I was posting as I was learning. I'm sure we have post histories? You may like to have a look.
I checked out the link and those hub centric rings are 10mm wide, which basically solved your issue. Happy to see it's better!

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I checked out the link and those hub centric rings are 10mm wide, which basically solved your issue.

What did we say in the first few posts??....& I found that out in 2014!!.... :unsure: 🤷‍♂️........

daymoon

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Update (for those who may stumble across this)

I'm going on a road trip soon and wanted a tire shop to look at the 2 rear wheels and their excessive weight issues, at this point, I was fairly confident whoever mounted them initially did a subpar job.

Well, surprise surprise, they rotated them 180, road force balanced, and...

LR: 5.5oz -> 2.5 oz
LR 7.75oz -> 1.75oz

So, great. I'm glad this is done and dusted, but mannnnn tirerack could have saved me a bunch of headache if their tech that day tried a bit harder. Oh well, I'll just call it an accident.