GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HS Tuning RSR Clutch Kit anybody experiencng slippage

ripped

Go Kart Champion
contacted my local vw audi shop on what clutch to get, they recommended the south bend stage 3. i asked them about the rsr clutch kit and they said they have started to see slipping with the hs tuning rsr kit after 18-20k millage usage with stage 2. anybody experiencing slippage with the rsr kit

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
There's like a 50 page thread on the MK6 forums about the RSR clutches with people on K04+ without issue. Your shop is trying to sell you that kit because South Bend franchises very well and has a lot of retailers that make money off them. If you're not going past IS38 levels, the RSR kit is a great choice.

ripped

Go Kart Champion
I would just be going is38 eventually. Nothing more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ripped

Go Kart Champion
Any idea what is making them slip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
Wasn't there some talk about a higher torque option coming from HS Tuning in the near future? A high-torque RSR if you will? I thought I remembered reading something about that in another thread here a few weeks back. I'd love to go RSR but have the same concerns as OP. I want to go IS38 eventually, but I also only want to replace my clutch once.

eb_rat_7

Passed Driver's Ed
Or manufacturing defects like seem to plague every clutch from BFI.

That can be true but typically the manufacturing defects will result in slip right off the bat rather than a shortened lifespan.

Wasn't there some talk about a higher torque option coming from HS Tuning in the near future? A high-torque RSR if you will? I thought I remembered reading something about that in another thread here a few weeks back. I'd love to go RSR but have the same concerns as OP. I want to go IS38 eventually, but I also only want to replace my clutch once.
Yes. They are working on a disc to go with the TTRS pressure plate. I also know competition clutches has a disc that is more aggressive than the euro diesel disc typically used. I don't think it's listed on their website. It should have increased torque capacity at the expense of some civility. I decided against that route. I'm breaking in my ttrs setup now and will be is38 once it's properly broken in

nonbiodegradable weasel

Ready to race!
contacted my local vw audi shop on what clutch to get, they recommended the south bend stage 3. i asked them about the rsr clutch kit and they said they have started to see slipping with the hs tuning rsr kit after 18-20k millage usage with stage 2. anybody experiencing slippage with the rsr kit

Can you have them clarify whether or not these slipping incidents were on the original DMF?

I researched clutches extensively before I had the RSR kit installed.
The only information I could find on a slipping RSR was one instance: some guy who reused his stock DMF. So when I had mine put in, I had a new flywheel put in too.

Literally every VW/Audi/German auto shop I talked to that was interested in the work wanted to put in a south bend kit.

Wrr1020

Ready to race!
Don't mean to threadjack but it is kind of relevant. For those of you that have replaced your DMF when getting a new clutch installed, where did you guys order from? I'm looking to get either the RSR or Sachs clutch put in but want to know where to buy a DMF for the lowest price before i do. Thanks!

eb_rat_7

Passed Driver's Ed
Don't mean to threadjack but it is kind of relevant. For those of you that have replaced your DMF when getting a new clutch installed, where did you guys order from? I'm looking to get either the RSR or Sachs clutch put in but want to know where to buy a DMF for the lowest price before i do. Thanks!

I found partsgeek to be the cheapest. I ordered one as a backup in case my stock one was bad. 17k and the factory hatching was still visible and no extra play. I cleaned it up and reused. Partsgeek has a decent return policy in case you end up reusing your dmf. If you were local I'd offer you a deal on mine- I'm literally shipping it back today.

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
You will not have a problem with the RSR. I have a 500whp GT3071 MK6 with the standard RSR and a lot of miles and its never slipped once. I've also installed probably 50 of the RSR for locals around me in mk5/6/7's and not one has ever slipped. One of the MK5's has a GT3076, is heavily beaten on, and we reused the stock 130k mile flywheel....no slipping, ever.

iliveoncaffiene

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 718 GT4
Can you have them clarify whether or not these slipping incidents were on the original DMF?

I researched clutches extensively before I had the RSR kit installed.
The only information I could find on a slipping RSR was one instance: some guy who reused his stock DMF. So when I had mine put in, I had a new flywheel put in too.

Literally every VW/Audi/German auto shop I talked to that was interested in the work wanted to put in a south bend kit.

I am one of those incidents (Golf R, but hey.. IS38).

I had the RSR installed on my original DMF at ~6k miles on the clock (I was going stage 1 HT, and wanted a for-sure solution). This is the same DMF that I learned to drive stick on (Golf R is my first stick) - and while I wasn't a terrible learner, it probably affected the wear on the DMF.

Fast-forward to 20k miles and under hard throttle (not WOT, but definitely pressing it) at <3k RPM in 5th/6th I could produce slip quite regularly, even after the car had been warm. These are extreme cases for any clutch, mind you, but slipping is slipping.

The RSR was originally designed as a GTI replacement clutch, and with higher and higher output & AWD, the wear/tear is just going to happen more.

I've been "beta" testing the "new RSR" setup from HS Tuning (same PP, new disc, and I got a new OEM DMF) and the only part that feels less street friendly is take off: it takes a little bit more gas from a dead stop compared to the RSR. It grabs smoother while at speed and has been overall great so far (daily driving it for a few thousand miles now).

I still recommend the RSR kit if you want a simple, street friendly upgrade, but I recommend just getting a new DMF unless you're under something like 5k miles on your clutch (and you weren't a newbie MT driver :p)

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Good to know there's another option in the works, I was just recently bringing up these exact concerns in the RSR thread and got shot down pretty quick