GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HPFP upgrade vs LPFP + MPI

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
Grab one of these $950 IS38's brand new with a good pump gas protune and never touch the car again. ?
I was really close to picking up a used IS38 for 530 bucks in sweden but got cold feet. Plus Sweden probably has most E85 pumps per capita and good quality, measured 3 times last summer and got between 88-93%(Ethanol is tax free so stations put in as much as possible)

Hoon

Autocross Champion
I was really close to picking up a used IS38 for 530 bucks in sweden but got cold feet. Plus Sweden probably has most E85 pumps per capita and good quality, measured 3 times last summer and got between 88-93%(Ethanol is tax free so stations put in as much as possible)

Ahh forgot you're in Sweden.

So much E access changes things, very jealous!

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Grab one of these $950 IS38's brand new with a good pump gas protune and never touch the car again. ?
Yeah this is really looking like what I’m going to do... since the car is my daily I think that power level will be fun enough, then I can move back to working on my 70 camaro.

bruxwillix

Ready to race!
If you do an HPFP without tuning you will get high RPM fuel pressure spikes.

The ECU compensates by reducing the injector pulse width, so from the drivers seat you'll never know it, but you also don't want to be putting 250+bar to the injectors which I believe are rated for a max 230bar operating pressure.

I've also notice that fuel pressure instability seems to be correlated with knock.

If you are using Cobb, HPFP is a good budget fueling mod for some added headroom. Any other tuning solution it is a waste of time and money.

Ultimately, LPFP and MPI is the way to go if you want to move real fuel volume. Leave the HPFP stock, aftermarket HPFPs are a detriment on MPI setups. Again, this goes back to control and stability.
HOON! and or DIGGS n GREGGLES [this is the revive] lol hope you dont mind gettin your brain picked

So Im about to make the switch from WMI to MPI. Was gonna get the mpi kit along with the brushless lpfp and fully assembled hpfp from EQT [and eventually vortex xl] but youre saying that HPFP would be a detriment?? And in the end HPFP is all you need to run full E85?

Also.. planning on just ending up with a 91 custom tune after install of the turbo, mpi and upgraded pumps [theres only 2 e85 stations near me and i dont want to depend on it] but with a 91 tune you cant ever blend E? Confused about this bc when on jb4 we were using E to clean things up all the time and didnt really need to monitor the ethanol levels. But now, with a 91 eqt tune, youd have to watch your E content?

TIA

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
HOON! and or DIGGS n GREGGLES [this is the revive] lol hope you dont mind gettin your brain picked

So Im about to make the switch from WMI to MPI. Was gonna get the mpi kit along with the brushless lpfp and fully assembled hpfp from EQT [and eventually vortex xl] but youre saying that HPFP would be a detriment?? And in the end HPFP is all you need to run full E85?

Also.. planning on just ending up with a 91 custom tune after install of the turbo, mpi and upgraded pumps [theres only 2 e85 stations near me and i dont want to depend on it] but with a 91 tune you cant ever blend E? Confused about this bc when on jb4 we were using E to clean things up all the time and didnt really need to monitor the ethanol levels. But now, with a 91 eqt tune, youd have to watch your E content?

TIA
If you go with MPI, all you need is an upgraded LPFP. You don't need an upgraded HPFP with MPI and by going with MPI, it allows you to go full E85. Going with ethanol, whether it's a mix blend or full, you should always be monitoring your E content with a sensor.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
no need to buy HPFP if you're going MPI. It would work fine, but just a waste of money and higher risk of hpfp failure etc. Post up your setup/goals and we can help you determine if hpfp or MPI is better option for you.

bruxwillix

Ready to race!
If you go with MPI, all you need is an upgraded LPFP. You don't need an upgraded HPFP with MPI and by going with MPI, it allows you to go full E85. Going with ethanol, whether it's a mix blend or full, you should always be monitoring your E content with a sensor.
Monitor E content level to stay within the range of the tune? or... don't understand why monitor if you're goid to go full e. i know not all pumps are gonna really be 85% but if you're good for full E with mpi and lpfp why monitor? Another reason why i wanna just tune for 91 after mpi and pumps. But just curious bc down the road i may tune for 85 also.. ya know once i get used to the power again lol

bruxwillix

Ready to race!
no need to buy HPFP if you're going MPI. It would work fine, but just a waste of money and higher risk of hpfp failure etc. Post up your setup/goals and we can help you determine if hpfp or MPI is better option for you.
risk of hp failure? whys that?
right now im FBO with WMI but i shoulda just gone MPI from the jump. wmi is going to be a PIA down the line. All good now. Making 360whp but not yet fine tuned by Ed. Still going thru revisions. MPI switch won't happen till spring or summer. Just slowly buying the parts and enjoying meth in the meantime

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Monitor E content level to stay within the range of the tune? or... don't understand why monitor if you're goid to go full e. i know not all pumps are gonna really be 85% but if you're good for full E with mpi and lpfp why monitor? Another reason why i wanna just tune for 91 after mpi and pumps. But just curious bc down the road i may tune for 85 also.. ya know once i get used to the power again lol
Yes, it's for the tune and because the E pumps are not consistent with their ethanol. Especially during the winter time when they winterize their gas which results in a low E content.

bruxwillix

Ready to race!
Yes, it's for the tune and because the E pumps are not consistent with their ethanol. Especially during the winter time when they winterize their gas which results in a low E content.
probably overthinking it but so you can't ever really tune for 85 then? better to shoot for like e70.. but then whats the harm in being over 70 on e content? sorry for the ignorance