GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HPA Motorsports mqb dogbone failure caused by 034?

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
In Feb 2017 I installed the HPA motorsports mqb dogbone mount. I was an instant fan of the controlled drivetrain movement and believed it to be the best diy option.

Later in the year I began to see puck failures posted on Facebook and the forums, so being cautious I checked every few thousand miles and it always looked solid. I thought I had lucked out and my puck was from a good batch, but after hearing from others it looks like the rev 1 puck was designed to fail.

Then after a track day in July I began to feel the drivetrain swinging like a stock GTI during shifts. I looked under the car and sure enough the puck was toast. (photo below) At this point the mount had been installed for 17 months and 20k miles. I later learned HPA has a 12 month warranty and will deny coverage due to other mods yikes, read below.

Within hours of posting a photo of the light-carnage, HPA's brand manager replied saying they would replace the puck asap. Awesome! After all HPA released a revised puck to address this exact issue and they advertise they have your back on the street and track. Awesome!

Customer service denied my claim citing my 034 solid rubber mounts adding additional stress along with my time since purchase. The idea of selling me a new puck is ridiculous given the context. Why would I install a product you think will fail again?

Yes the time since purchase is my responsibility but that is a low excuse from a motorsports company. I feel cheated.

How would you respond? What track worthy dogbone should I install? Thanks

Last edited:

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
Blaming the engine / tranny mounts is ridiculous! So with their argument a shot set of OEM mounts would have been fine which would actually put more load on the dogbone.

Bad business, they should have just sent you out a new puck.

WhyNotZoidberg?

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 2015 TDI
That is the stupidest excuse he could've come up with LOL

The fact that you have stiffer engine mounts is actually the only reason for your HPA puck lasting 20k miles, instead of failing a lot sooner, like the rest of the HPA pucks victims.

krisprz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Golf R 6spd
That’s crazy. I was thinking of getting an HPA dogbone mount, but now I’m not so sure I will. Might just get a different one. Any recommendations?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
For the one millionth time BFI is the only way to go. If you want to do it right get the full set (engine, transmission, dog bone insert)

I can’t speak highly enough about BFI. 65,000 miles on my stage 2 set and it’s still like new

Picture of their new CNC mill. I also have pictures of some new goods they’ll be releasing soon but I’ll let them do the honors

uberpolka

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI
How can you tell the different revisions apart?

And how did I miss this drama in the first place?
I bought my HPA mount in March of 2018 and I love it.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
For the one millionth time BFI is the only way to go. If you want to do it right get the full set (engine, transmission, dog bone insert)

I can’t speak highly enough about BFI. 65,000 miles on my stage 2 set and it’s still like new

How is the NVH after installing their full setup? I have heard just installing one of the mounts (dogbone) actually makes NVH worse than if you get the matching set.

Visceral

Go Kart Newbie
I am blown away to say the least... yeah, the right thing to do was to replace the puck at no charge. Now, they want to pin it on something that honestly should have reduced movement further and helped the puck out in the first place. You pay a premium for their product and would expect something like this to be addressed without hassle. I have cross-shopped their products before but now, no way! As for an alternative, I believe someone else mentioned the Powerflex Hybrid. I would look at that, as for myself, I am running an APR dogbone and an ECS branded puck (yikes!)... will be checking under the car tonight.

slow12s

Ready to race!
I'm running the APR pendulum and dogbone, have been plenty happy...really ZERO added NVH...sat in HPA cars before ordering this and there was waaaay too much NVH for a daily driver for me

and just to throw in my $.02, this is AWFUL business by HPA...this is like following the common dealership model of trying to find anything to blame it on before fixing what you should...aftermarket racing companies should know better

Last edited:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
How is the NVH after installing their full setup? I have heard just installing one of the mounts (dogbone) actually makes NVH worse than if you get the matching set.

It’s definitely the most subjective topic there is.

With that said I have stage 2 which has no regard for NVH, and it’s not bad at all. In 90% of driving situations your passengers would never know it’s not stock (exceptions being AC on parked or starting out slowly on a hill in first or reverse). The N in NVH is really the biggest part. The car is louder in the cabin (think OEM soundeckor) with upgraded mounts, but it’s a performance car with performance minded mods sooo

This is exactly why they make stage 1, less NVH for those who care.

Here’s a video of my personal car featuring the stage 2 BFI mounts and DKM twin disk clutch. Probably has some guys here running for the hills just thinking of all the NVH...till you watch the video, it’s literally next to nothing over stock

https://youtu.be/_vf1l0nbyL4

WhyNotZoidberg?

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 2015 TDI

Maybe I'm unlucky, but after about 20k miles, my BFI dogbone insert is completely toast.

Granted, I still have all the OEM mounts and I've been through a few track days, so there's that. Although I do drive fast, I've never launched my car and I'm not into drag racing.

I'm anxiously waiting on my Superpro mounts set to arrive :)

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
Hmmm... I have the hpa bone along with ecs density mounts. The combo feels really good (stage 1) with just the tiniest but of additional nvh at cold idle (and now with a vcds hack to increase idle speed, even less).

I only purchased it 6 weeks ago. They've upgraded the part to a better version recently? Am I reading that right?

I guess I'd be OK with replacing it way down the road if I had to. I don't track drive or beat on it very much. Still, I feel OP has a point.

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
How can you tell the different revisions apart?

And how did I miss this drama in the first place?
I bought my HPA mount in March of 2018 and I love it.

+1 on if anyone knows how to determine the revision of the HPA part. I was planning on selling mine brand new, since the superpro mount set at the discounted price was too good to pass up, but I don't want to sell a defective part to someone.

To OP: Did you purchase the part with a credit card? A lot of them extend warranties by a year. If HPA isn't willing to work with you on this (and it seems like they're going to fight you), I would look into that and see if the credit card company will refund your money.