GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HPA BBK

faid

Ready to race!
Hi i am new to BBK. I have a 2017 Golf R and i am looking to upgrade my front brakes to the HPA 6 piston brake. Anyone have experience with their BBK? Also i read on their site that we need to remove the dust shield. Is their any downside to that? This is my daily driver, so i will be driving it thru rain and snow. Going to hit up the track next year.

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
Answer to your question:
I run year-round without shields without problems. That said, they are there for a reason; I haven't figured out what the reason is.

Unsolicited advice:
1. If you are new to HDPE, get experience before you spend money on parts.
2. Your stock brakes will suffice if you install pads that are suitable for track use and fresh hi temp brake fluid.
3. 17" wheels are a good track option because tires are less expensive. If you go this route, you will be limited in size of BBK.
4. Buy a BBK that has a good spare parts channel--you'll need to replace parts. This is not a judgement on HPA--I don't know what spare parts channels exist for that brand.

faid

Ready to race!
Answer to your question:
I run year-round without shields without problems. That said, they are there for a reason; I haven't figured out what the reason is.

Unsolicited advice:
1. If you are new to HDPE, get experience before you spend money on parts.
2. Your stock brakes will suffice if you install pads that are suitable for track use and fresh hi temp brake fluid.
3. 17" wheels are a good track option because tires are less expensive. If you go this route, you will be limited in size of BBK.
4. Buy a BBK that has a good spare parts channel--you'll need to replace parts. This is not a judgement on HPA--I don't know what spare parts channels exist for that brand.

Thank you for the advice.

Sorry forbeing a noob, but what do you mean like by spare parts. Brake pads and disc ? Or other things?

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
I have HPA's BBK for both front & rear. I absolutely love them and track my car 6 times a year. It's nice to have the larger brake kit for increased part longevity, extra heat capacity and less unsprung weight. Though as it has been pointed out earlier in the post a BBK should only be considered once you get to a point where you are hitting the limits of the OEM braking hardware or you are burning through pads and rotors like nobodies business from tracking so much :) I have a PP GTI which has the same braking setup as stock Rs and it was more than adequate for learning to track it.

As for spare parts: the fronts use Corvette C5 sized pads, so any application which fits that will work in the front BBK at least. The rears work with pads designed for the 4th Gen Camaro. They sell replacement rotors and are very reasonably priced given they are 2-piece. I'm running Ferodo DS2500 up front and Baer ceramic pads in the rear currently. The calipers themselves are custom made from Baer, so I'm sure they have access to build kits (though I'd contact them directly for that kind of query).

If you wanna know more just ask!

faid

Ready to race!
I have HPA's BBK for both front & rear. I absolutely love them and track my car 6 times a year. It's nice to have the larger brake kit for increased part longevity, extra heat capacity and less unsprung weight. Though as it has been pointed out earlier in the post a BBK should only be considered once you get to a point where you are hitting the limits of the OEM braking hardware or you are burning through pads and rotors like nobodies business from tracking so much :) I have a PP GTI which has the same braking setup as stock Rs and it was more than adequate for learning to track it.

As for spare parts: the fronts use Corvette C5 sized pads, so any application which fits that will work in the front BBK at least. The rears work with pads designed for the 4th Gen Camaro. They sell replacement rotors and are very reasonably priced given they are 2-piece. I'm running Ferodo DS2500 up front and Baer ceramic pads in the rear currently. The calipers themselves are custom made from Baer, so I'm sure they have access to build kits (though I'd contact them directly for that kind of query).

Thank you very much for such a great review. I will probably try some new pads first.

AdrianNikonian

Passed Driver's Ed

Can you share pics of the rear bbk please? I placed an order but have yet to see clear pics of it installed on a mk7 gti. Tks!!

Last edited:

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
Can you share pics of the rear bbk please? I placed an order but have yet to see clear pics of it installed on a mk7 gti. Tks!!

Yeah sorry, don't frequent the forums as often as I used to. Am actually parting out my car in a week or two :( Keeping the BBK for the next though!

IMG_20171013_135220.jpg
IMG_20180614_162138.jpg

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Thank you very much for such a great review. I will probably try some new pads first.
I was about to snag a BBK until some members advised me to just upgrade pads first....went with Hawk 5.0....stopping is great and saved $1400 lol

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
Is it true that the HPA big brake kit is the only bbk that fits under stock VW Austin and Milton wheels?!?!?

This BBK did not clear the OEM Austins: I needed a small spacer to make them fit. I only had a 10mm spacer but smaller could work. Fronts were fine.