GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HP Tuners DIY Tuning Solution

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Nope. I'd expect that to be under fuel system, but that page is blank for me.

OK thanks. All I have is a "trailing throttle desired fuel pressure" table. But nothing about pump speed. Dang

I'm still browsing around. Trying to ID what other essentials are missing.

Exley

Passed Driver's Ed
OK thanks. All I have is a "trailing throttle desired fuel pressure" table. But nothing about pump speed. Dang

I'm still browsing around. Trying to ID what other essentials are missing.
That reminded me I haven't seen anything related to injection window either (SOI / EOI).

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Any updates on this? I found a tuner 15 minutes up the road that is hp tuner. Trying to compile a list of questions before I meet up on friday.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Any updates on this? I found a tuner 15 minutes up the road that is hp tuner. Trying to compile a list of questions before I meet up on friday.

@Exley probably has the most hands on experience that I know of. It could still use some improvements in table definitions and logging params....but definitely OK for stock turbo bolt on type car. Full DSG/TCU access is nice, and the price is significantly less than other solutions out there.

I would just be leery if they have never tuned these cars before or only used to domestics or whatever. I wouldn't want to be the guinea pig.

Hoon

Autocross Champion

Everyone is an HP Tuners tuner.

If they aren't very familiar with the platform, stay away. Local isn't better.

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Am I seeing this correctly that tuning is not yet available for the 7 speed dsg?

Exley

Passed Driver's Ed
@Exley probably has the most hands on experience that I know of. It could still use some improvements in table definitions and logging params....but definitely OK for stock turbo bolt on type car. Full DSG/TCU access is nice, and the price is significantly less than other solutions out there.

I would just be leery if they have never tuned these cars before or only used to domestics or whatever. I wouldn't want to be the guinea pig.

Just seeing this now. I'd echo what @Hoon and @aaronc7 said. HP Tuners is just a tool to modify the ECM, I would have a conversation with that tuner about how many other VW/Audi or MQB cars they have tuned. My guess is their experience would be more in the GM or Ford world. If you aren't looking to dive into DIY tuning I'd stick with one of the well reviewed OTS/Remote tuners on the forum.

That is correct. In that case yeah, I would definitely hold off.
Yes DQ250 only right now.

saltysleeper530

Car(s)
2016 GTI, S, 6MT
I've owned my '16 GTI since 2016, and for the majority of that time i've been on a JB4. I've got a couple bolt-ons, and I've messed around with the settings here and there on the jb4, as well as recorded loads of data logs. But my gti is my DD, so i don't really spend a bunch of time messing around with the (limited) settings on the JB4, and i've left it on map 1 for a long time now.
I do have some experience with the mpvi2. I got one to use for ls swaps, and project vehicles. I hooked up the mpvi2 to my GTI recently and downloaded the factory tune file, just for shits and gigs. I'd be happy to help in anyway that i can, collecting data logs, logging different parameters ect. ect. I'm not volunteering to be a guinea pig, but as a fellow enthusiast, if there's anything i could do to help further the research of this new platform I'd love to help!

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
I have sent HP tuners quite a lot of tables, info, PIDs. I'm starting to see some more tables populate in the software--- hopefully they will be able to make some real progress soon.

Right now....IMO... the ECU tuning side is still lacking, both in terms of some key tables in the editor, but also the scanner software.

DSG is actually very good and complete. I've been running the DSG tune on and off and I don't really notice much difference between the accessport.

I am pretty sure we have "cracked the code" to get MPI working, at least on my specific box code. I am probably going to install MPI this weekend if I can get the time tonight/tomorrow. Due to the scanner shortcomings still, I'm not really ready to "move forward" with hptuners yet, but I will definitely test it out as a proof of concept. Once they update the scanner with more PIDs there won't be any reason not to use it-- I can define any tables I need added.

Here's my current PID list if anyone is curious. I've tested most of them and verified the equations, etc.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...AGOJwZtXGkLNJo1yFMqe5oHck/edit#gid=1650001589

Also going to be testing basic flex fuel... ie fueling correction only based on ethanol sensor input. Anything more complete or complex would require quite a bit more work and hp tuners would have to do most of that. We'll see where it goes. They have added flex fuel to a few other platforms (even ones that don't seem to be their primary audience).

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Support for the 7sp dsg and flex fuel will be the key factors for me.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
I guess I can post on here too

2017 Audi S3 w/ PR 925cc MPI kit w/ continental ethanol sensor.

First log is cold start. Once the wideband comes online you can see STFT increase to correct. Then around 2 mins in or 10:31, the ECU starts using the learned ethanol content and fueling is spot on. This is about E35 in the tank, using SAE PID 01 52 to display E content--also works with generic OBD scanner/phone app etc.

Second log is a quick WOT log. Tune is super conservative and not complete by any means, but note that "Injector Pulse Width 1 Cyl 1" is DI pw and "Injector Pulse Width Cyl 1" is MPI. I have it triggered to activate around 250 lb-ft.