GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How would you re-gear your car if you could?

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
I would like first gear to be useful for other things besides pulling a boat.
2nd is too tall.
Raced one of those 10 speed camaros a few weeks ago and the car shifted like 3 times while I was winding out second. Granted... it was a surprise race and I wasn't in boost when it started.

RobertJG25

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 VW Golf 1.4 TSI
I have the 8-speed Aisin unit, the AWF8F35, and despite the numbers below, 1 to 2 feel pretty close and make sense but in D the 2-3 shift feels like it you lifted off the gas at times. In S it does feel better, so I'm guessing there isn't enough boost being made in D as opposed to S. So if I had to change something it would be 3rd gear, whether its shorter or just makes a level of boost to continue accelerating the way you do in 2nd. Overall I love the transmission, the shifts when using tiptronic are instant and barely smoothed out, but in D are basically imperceptible.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
6MT: 1st gear taller and all other forward gears shorter. America doesn't need a transmission geared for 150 mph highway cruising.
And reverse needs to be much shorter as well. You can't crawl at low speed in reverse without riding the clutch or taking it out of gear every two seconds.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
6spd manual gti
2nd is too tall. I don't want to have to shift into 1st at 8mph when in traffic. And would be nice to have better gearing for autocross.

2nd is too tall for autox? The fact I can spin ~74mph and never have to shift at autox is gold, especially compared to the Civics where 2nd tops out in the mid 50s.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
2nd is too tall for autox? The fact I can spin ~74mph and never have to shift at autox is gold, especially compared to the Civics where 2nd tops out in the mid 50s.
I guess it depends on the course. Our main lot is really small and you can end up at ~2200 rpm in 2nd on some corners.

Last autox, lot was bigger and it was faster so it wasn't as bad.

That's also with 360tw tires. Hopefully with 200's, can carry more speed in the corners keeping up rpms

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
I’d regear it as a 993.

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Slushbox 6-spd here, but it all seems we're united in our distaste with VW's propensity for comically tall second gears.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I have a 6 speed manual. I'd like 1st to be higher, 2nd a little lower, and the rest to be closer, with 6tj being the same. 5th and 6th are too close, so shouldn't be an issue.

FooDogg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S 6MT
Alltrack 6MT who softroads some and light tows, ala "Country" concept car at NYC winter 2015 car show.

1621740577946.jpeg

Did not know Alltrack gear ratios same as GTI before so thanks for the explanation!

Here's my wish list and dont blame me for farting in church- you asked!

1st and reverse much lower so I can crawl over rutted USFS roads picking out a line at less than 8mph at idle...or back it out if getting stuck.

and
grunt a tow up a hill on a start without excessively feathering the clutch...grrr, especially on the nannyized Clutch Delay Valve and slower than foot throttle response.

Yes a little lower 2nd too.

PS: Are three top gears as overdrive really necessary? Ok, its made for Teh Autobahn, plus US EPA numbers but srsly? 5 and 6 are so close I sometimes forget to shift up on the interstate, and 5th does little for engine braking on the other side.

Noob rant (off).

Last edited:

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Alltrack 6MT who softroads some and light tows, ala "Country" concept car at NYC winter 2015 car show.

View attachment 214485

Did not know Alltrack gear ratios same as GTI before so thanks for the explanation!

1st and reverse much lower so I can crawl over rutted USFS roads picking out a line at less than 8mph at idle...or back it out if getting stuck.

and
grunt a tow up a hill on a start without excessively feathering the clutch...grrr, especially on the nannyized Clutch Delay Valve and slower than foot throttle response.

PS: Are three top gears as overdrive really necessary? Ok, its made for Teh Autobahn, plus US EPA numbers but srsly? 5 and 6 are so close I sometimes forget to shift up on the interstate, and 5th does little for engine braking on the other side.

Noob rant (off).

Since I've had my 6 speed, I've probably used 5th a handful of times. Usually go straight from 4th to 6th and if I need to accelerate on the highway, no reason to shift into 5th, just go straight to 4th or even 3rd if speed. is low enough

FooDogg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S 6MT
Since I've had my 6 speed, I've probably used 5th a handful of times. Usually go straight from 4th to 6th and if I need to accelerate on the highway, no reason to shift into 5th, just go straight to 4th or even 3rd if speed. is low enough
Same here.

FooDogg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S 6MT

View attachment 214485

and

Noob rant (off).
PS: found this in a recent thread- useful if its correct, that is:

1621745531071.png