GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to tell if my car has a Unitronic TCU Tune?

SodaSnake

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 MK7
Purchased a used 2018 GTI. Previous owner put a stage 1+ ECU and TCU tune. The dealership replaced the ecm prior to sale to pass emissions.

I called the dealership to see if there were any warranty flags on the VIN and they said no. So they never reported the ECU tune.

Obviously I want to maintain the warranty, but if the TCU tune is still there then there's no point in keeping it on a stock tune because the warranty is shot.

Just trying to determine if my TCU tune is still on the car but I'm not entirely sure how to determine that.

ShagginGSW

Go Kart Newbie
Seems like a dead give away is if it shows the gear next to the mode indicator, ie. D5, S5. Could be wrong though and this is also something that can be done with VCDS/OBD11.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Uni tuned my car at 5k miles, dealer never once argued with me about warranty work.

Call Uni, give VIN, they will tell you if and which Uni tune was on car. ECM switched? Tunes are gone unless dealer downloaded file to new ECM. Not sure if VW sends blank ECM's or not, but if they did, then dealer would of transferred the file to the new ECM. Like other has said, do you see gear indication (1,2,3, etc) next to the D or S ???